freeflyfree

nobody told me I was going to get fat

Squeak

***Some studies show that sprint type exercise leads to faster weight loss and quicker cardio gains than constant speed aerobics. So go do wind sprints or ride your bike as fast as you can 'til you're exhausted.

Interval Training ;)

Intervals arent just little sprints. For them to be effective, you have to really push hard. How hard? Almost puke-hard. Actually, bonus points for puke-hard.;)

And then really slow down. It's a rest stage, not a casual stage.

On the bike, for me, it looks like this:

10 min warm up
then 5x: 2 min at 95% max rate (whether that's HR, or power, or whatever system you use, go as hard as you can sustain it for 2 minutes: that's about 95%); 4 min at super soft pedal
10 min cool down

Trust me, the last 2 min at 95%, you want to just quit.

This is your basic structured interval.

You can get fancy with sprint intervals (30s bursts), increasing intervals, deficit intervals, etc...
Remster

I dropped 44 lbs in a litte under a year just by going to an all vegan diet. No counting calories and no reduced quantities either. It was simply a logistics problem. Got off a few nasty meds as well. A Katana 120 files considerably different at 1.4 than it does at 1.9. :)

Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

The secret to weight management is to live the lifestyle and eat the food associated with someone at the weight you want to be. That way when you get there, you don't have to change again, you're already there.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Tink1717

I dropped 44 lbs in a litte under a year just by going to an all vegan diet. No counting calories and no reduced quantities either. It was simply a logistics problem. Got off a few nasty meds as well. A Katana 120 files considerably different at 1.4 than it does at 1.9. :)

This worked for me as well.
I gotta say, one of the biggest problems is that people get it all wrong. VERY few people lose weight with exercise. You lose weight with diet. You have to pull off 3500 kcal ("calories") per estimated pound of weight. It takes a lot of exercise but there is a better way.

Now, not all foods are equal. The reason Vegans tend to lose a lot of weight is actually because fast food and processed foods are often NOT vegan (Except Oreos.... and I do love me oreos but try never to eat them). Processed foods are one of the biggest problems in modern health. Why? First HighFructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is just horrible stuff. Fructose has a very special form of metabolism because its a 5 carbon and not 6 carbon sugar. In the end, "regular" sugar can make you feel full whereas Fructose bypasses this. So why is it in our foods? FOOD COMPANIES NEED YOU TO OVEREAT! The other thing they do is remove AS MUCH of the FIBER as possible. Fiber also makes you feel full. Interestingly if you eat fiber and fructose, its good for you (thus why fruit is ok). A lot of it has to do with a combination of binding the fructose until the large bowel and not actually absorbing it. Meat has its own issues and if you cant go vegan, a SUBSTANTIAL decrease in meat consumption is good. Protein needs are also a myth perpetuated by the meat/dairy industry. We've been lied to for decades; nutritionists and biochemists have known this, but big business suppresses the message.

Anyhow, if you want some good info on it, go to youtube and search "Sugar, the bitter truth", its a little biochem heavy but he walks you through the stuff you need to know and makes points for the lay person.
Then, watch "Forks over Knives" which is a documentary I show patients that outlines why a plant based diet saves lives and shows case studies of doing what modern medicine can not: reverse arterial plaque buildup! I think 8 case studies of people who had a cath and told they needed bypass but were too sick to tolerate it, and then after a time on a vegan diet... restored flow through the arteries.

People don't like me getting all preachy about vegan diet, but its science. And I like science... I'm a nerd like that. But went from 190lbs to 180 in 2 months on a vegan diet; still slowly losing. When all else fails go with what works ;)
You are not the contents of your wallet.