format

Sayings to disagree with

How about the fact that for many sayings that seems to make sense, there is an almost exact opposite saying which also seems completely true!!!

Examples:

Birds of a feather flock together
Opposites attract

Out of sight, out of mind
Absence makes the heart grow fonder

Great minds think alike
Fools seldom differ
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

and

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. – Bertrand Russell

They actually compliment each other. I think the top one is funny. I think the bottom one explains 90% of the trouble in our world. [:/]

Whoever said: The bigger they are the harder they fall...NEEDS to downsize!

Waddn't me...:)

True Dat, you weigh less than a squeaky popcorn fart...you're at 1:1 on a GI Joe doll parachute! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Whoever said: The bigger they are the harder they fall...NEEDS to downsize!

Waddn't me...:)

True Dat, you weigh less than a squeaky popcorn fart...you're at 1:1 on a GI Joe doll parachute! ;)

I hate your face.:|

:D
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

How about the fact that for many sayings that seems to make sense, there is an almost exact opposite saying which also seems completely true!!!

Examples:

Birds of a feather flock together
Opposites attract

Out of sight, out of mind
Absence makes the heart grow fonder

Great minds think alike
Fools seldom differ

Feathered great mind out of sight,
is there an equivalent of "feed the dog so he can bite you"?
What goes around, comes later.

"My country ... right or wrong"

"If you have nothing to hide ........."

I agree that is a bad saying. The original quote of General Shurz was, "My country, right or wrong. If right, to be kept right. If wrong, to be set right." Much better.

I hate the addage that there is 'no such thing as a dumb question'. There certainly is.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I hate the addage that there is 'no such thing as a dumb question'. There certainly is.

no such thing as a dumb question - just dumb people that ask lots of questions:P

I hate "nuff said" - indicates a really closed mind or narcissistic person to say that - plus the shorthand is low brow

"better late than never" - not if you work on the bomb squad

"it's just my luck" (whiners) - people own their fate, this is a defeatist statement from the get go

plenty more

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

"My country ... right or wrong"

"If you have nothing to hide ........."

I agree that is a bad saying. The original quote of General Shurz was, "My country, right or wrong. If right, to be kept right. If wrong, to be set right." Much better.

I've been known to ask a few, I can tell ya;)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

"Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup" Words to live by.

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Here's one - Do unto others as you would have them do unto you - I hate that one. Unworkable. I would have you all give me your money, but I'm surely not giving you mine.

The correct translation of the Hebrew addage is - Whatever is harmful to you, do not do to others. That one works. More like a 'live and let live' thing.

Wow. Can't believe he said that about you. Could really hurt business. You might want to bring an action for slander...

I've decided to disagree with this:

"My wife is hotter than your wife."

:)

I love Jerry and Dawn Marie. Just had to poke at Jerry.

Here's one - Do unto others as you would have them do unto you - I hate that one. Unworkable. I would have you all give me your money, but I'm surely not giving you mine.

The correct translation of the Hebrew addage is - Whatever is harmful to you, do not do to others. That one works. More like a 'live and let live' thing.

"Do not do unto others as you would that they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same".
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I long to disagree with this one:
"Similis simili gaudet"
..in everyday use as "It takes one to know one".
It offends me every time I use a word 'douche' for someone [:/]
What goes around, comes later.