promise5

Do you Facebook?why?

You always need *two* accounts:
1. Family.
2. Non-family.

A former co-worker insisted his teenage daughter friend him, and she did. Then after a couple weeks he wondered why her page never changed. Her brother ratted her out.>:(:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I don't do any Facebooking. I do have an account, though. When my kids were minors, one condition of them having a FB account was that I was a friend, so I could keep tabs on them. I haven't looked at my page in forever, and my account is probably a waste at this point.

If you don't want to FB, don't let your family pressure you into it. You have enough other things on which to waste your time. :D

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Too bad FB never got the idea to copy the "circles" feature of Google+.
It lets you isolate your friends into groups so you don't have the issues of FB.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I haven't had an account for over a year. I deleted my original because I was undergoing a police investigation for a hiring process and didn't want to deal with explaining anything. Only downside to not having an account is that so many businesses only put info on Facebook now and neglect their normal websites, and sometimes Facebook won't let you view pages without an account.

Mach1dmb

I haven't had an account for over a year. I deleted my original because I was undergoing a police investigation for a hiring process and didn't want to deal with explaining anything. Only downside to not having an account is that so many businesses only put info on Facebook now and neglect their normal websites, and sometimes Facebook won't let you view pages without an account.

My older "sister" changed her last name because they found prisoners looking up Facebook accounts of wives of troopers involved in their cases.
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

My older "sister" changed her last name because they found prisoners looking up Facebook accounts of wives of troopers involved in there cases.

My dad is a cop and he doesn't have one for that reason. They use Facebook all the time to catch criminals, thats why the government loves and funds it. Also never understood when people would post that they are on vacation. Then I know the whole layout of your house because of all your selfies, and I see all that expensive new stuff you bought.

promise5

Feeling the pressure to Facebook but dang!!
Family can be drama and a pain in the bum.

Yes. Boredom, loneliness, feeling better about myself after seeing friends from high school looking miserable, happy old boyfriends have fat, ugly wives and mostly just to keep up with current events, weather, etc.

:|
Always be kinder than you feel.

Mach1dmb

***My older "sister" changed her last name because they found prisoners looking up Facebook accounts of wives of troopers involved in there cases.

My dad is a cop and he doesn't have one for that reason. They use Facebook all the time to catch criminals, thats why the government loves and funds it. Also never understood when people would post that they are on vacation. Then I know the whole layout of your house because of all your selfies, and I see all that expensive new stuff you bought.

Around here there was someone who performed a double murder and then he posted a "RIP" kinda message to one of his victim's FB pages. :S

Mach1dmb

***feeling better about myself after seeing friends from high school looking miserable

I once said that exact same thing on another forum a few years back and a very wise man told me that I need to grow up :o

If you knew why I said that you'd understand but it's not something I'd like to share here right now. :|

LuckyMcSwervy

Yes. Boredom, loneliness, feeling better about myself after seeing friends from high school looking miserable, happy old boyfriends have fat, ugly wives and mostly just to keep up with current events, weather, etc.

A kid I went to high school (and chose his parents more carefully than I did) was taking flying lessons while we were still in high school. He was very athletic, had a lean wiry build, and was on the wrestling team. He was part of the "cool kids" jock crowd, but never gave me any problems, (as opposed to many of them).

A few years out of high school, I heard his old man was even helping him start a crop-dusting business.

Jump forward maybe 10 years...

I'm at a small fly-in/airshow in an adjacent state, and am part of the skydiving demo. As we are waiting our call, I hear the announcement of a crop-duster fly-by with the name of my old classmate as pilot. At the completion of his show, I rush over to the crop-duster as he shut it down, to say hello.

I watch him climb out of the cockpit...and then reach back in and haul his belly out.:o:D

flygirl1220

I do to keep up the PM thread with my girlfriends from high school. However the fb page I have is actually for my dog. Easy to stay out of drama when all you talk about publicly is squirrels, bones and bacon.:)

That's funny! I tried to do that with my cat but I got my chops busted so badly I deactivated her page. :D

ryoder

A kid I went to high school (and chose his parents more carefully than I did) was taking flying lessons while we were still in high school. He was very athletic, had a lean wiry build, and was on the wrestling team. He was part of the "cool kids" jock crowd, but never gave me any problems, (as opposed to many of them).

A few years out of high school, I heard his old man was even helping him start a crop-dusting business.

Jump forward maybe 10 years...

I'm at a small fly-in/airshow in an adjacent state, and am part of the skydiving demo. As we are waiting our call, I hear the announcement of a crop-duster fly-by with the name of my old classmate as pilot. At the completion of his show, I rush over to the crop-duster as he shut it down, to say hello.

I watch him climb out of the cockpit...and then reach back in and haul his belly out.:o:D

:o:o:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Facebook makes it a lot easier for me to keep in touch with friends and family that are spread out all over the world. I don't post much, but its nice to see what my friends are up to.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

You de-select which of your friends' posts show up on your page. That can be useful.

I use it to stay in touch with people far away. But I have a rule about posting on the internet. I post everything with the assumption that it will appear on every computer in the world eventually. I don't have the embarassing situations some others have because I follow that rule.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Apart from needing a Facebook account to manage the Dropzone.com Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/dropzoneskydiving)

I am very active on Facebook. I use it to post a lot of my photography. It's also a great way to meet like-minded people, and is essentially no different than any forum. The only information people get is the information you give them. And unless you're posting about crimes you commit - it doesn't have too much threat.

With the privacy settings offered you can either turn it into a private platform and share only with your friends. Or you can use it as a public platform and make your posts visible to anyone. Personally, I will dial my privacy settings with each post depending on the content. If I am sharing an opinion that may raise eyebrows, I tend to keep it private between friends. But if I'm posting photography, I will set it public.

You can create lists for people, which works like Google's circles in a way. And when you make a post and don't want that list to see it - you can just set that in the custom privacy area on the post.

With a little bit of poking around you'll be able to dial your account to be as secure as you want it to be for how you use it.