grue

Heat waves are a bit tedious. How's your day?

110°F here, leaving work in about an hour to ride the bicycle home.

I told myself last week that I'd ride all 5 days "come hell or high water", and I appear to have gotten the former.

Highs this week were 96, 112, 108, 110, and now 110 again. 73 tomorrow B| but I'll be packing tandems all day so I won't get to enjoy the cool weather much :D
cavete terrae.

grue

Highs this week were 96, 112, 108, 110, and now 110 again. 73 tomorrow B| but I'll be packing tandems all day so I won't get to enjoy the cool weather much :D

You'll enjoy packing tandems a hell of a lot more in 73 than you would in 112. :P:P
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

You'll enjoy packing tandems a hell of a lot more in 73 than you would in 112. :P:P

Ain't that the truth! :D
cavete terrae.

yoink

At least it's your summer!

I got home today and it was 96F... January is still supposed to be our winter in San Diego!

Yeah but at least in Sandy Eggo you've got Rei do Gado… oh god… now I'm hungry…
cavete terrae.

LuckyMcSwervy

We got the big, fat, fluffy flakes for a bit today. I wanna see sun snow showers!! B|

I don't exactly miss snow, but I miss skiing back home. I also miss white Christmases and stuff like that, even though I'm a Christmas-hating grinch.
cavete terrae.

I live in the Pilbara. Its over 40c every Fucking day.
Come spend a weekend at Australias harshest DZ in Wickham (once we rebuild from the cyclone) and you will never complain about the heat again.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

hcsvader

Come spend a weekend at Australias harshest DZ in Wickham (once we rebuild from the cyclone) and you will never complain about the heat again.

I don't see the point in going somewhere where the heat will turn my testicles into lumps of silly putty. I really don't want to see the cartoon when I peel them off my thigh :-P
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

hcsvader

Not a bloody chance :D

Actually I've got a question: Do the people who build structures over there have as little sense as they do here? It's like they thought air conditioning was a fad and wouldn't catch on, so almost no homes have central AC, but some have the big ugly aftermarket ones in the wall.
cavete terrae.

grue

***I live in the Pilbara. Its over 40c every Fucking day.

Not a bloody chance :D

Actually I've got a question: Do the people who build structures over there have as little sense as they do here? It's like they thought air conditioning was a fad and wouldn't catch on, so almost no homes have central AC, but some have the big ugly aftermarket ones in the wall.

Ugh, don't get me started on that. When I moved to Colorado everyone told me you didn't need central air. Then that July it hit 8 million degrees. And every July since has been the same way! The wall unit I suffered with in Lafayette would pop the circuit breaker after about 20 minutes of running, too. When I moved, central air was at the top of my list.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

grue

***We got the big, fat, fluffy flakes for a bit today. I wanna see sun snow showers!! B|

I don't exactly miss snow, but I miss skiing back home. I also miss white Christmases and stuff like that, even though I'm a Christmas-hating grinch.

I was supposed to go skiing today but I couldn't sleep last night, woke up late this morning and then just totally lost my vibe. I think I'll try to book a massage instead. I still win. B|
Always be kinder than you feel.

FlyingRhenquest

Ugh, don't get me started on that. When I moved to Colorado everyone told me you didn't need central air. Then that July it hit 8 million degrees. And every July since has been the same way! The wall unit I suffered with in Lafayette would pop the circuit breaker after about 20 minutes of running, too. When I moved, central air was at the top of my list.

I haven't spent enough time in CO in the summer to comment, but I'll take your word for it. For the last 17 years I've lived in locations on the west coast that fall into the "one or two weeks a year you wish you had A/C" category (Seattle, Santa Monica, and now Oakland), and I've been so happy to live without it. I find that I'm actually sensitive to "conditioned" air now, and my sinuses will get stuffed up if I spend a couple days in a hotel or something in a climate that requires it.

Those rare heat waves can suck during the day (and by heat wave here, we're talking high 80s/low 90s and dry), but otherwise, I find that I prefer it. And this year, my boyfriend got "baby gates" for the front door of my apartment that stack high enough that I can block the cats in. That now enables a cross breeze (since all the windows are on one side of the apartment), and it's way more pleasant. By night time it cools off enough to be great sleeping weather.

Or I'll just do what I did last year which is invite people over to hang out in my apartment building's courtyard, which stops getting sun by mid-afternoon and is awesomely cool and comfortable then, and cook an entire meal on the grill (including dessert). :D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

FlyingRhenquest

When I moved to Colorado everyone told me you didn't need central air.

Sure, that is true if you live up in the mountains.

My first house (in the Denver Tech Center) had no a/c. However it was a bi-level (lower level sunken into the ground) and had a powerful fan in the ceiling of the upper level. I would leave for work in the morning with all the windows closed. When I got home in the evening, I would open a window in the lower level which was under the deck at the back of the house, then turn on the fan. It would pull the warm air from the upper level into the attic, and pull the cool air from the lower level to the upper level. That made it quite tolerable.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Southern_Man

I was supposed to go skiing today but I couldn't sleep last night, woke up late this morning and then just totally lost my vibe. I think I'll try to book a massage instead. I still win. B|

I want to go skiing :-( Next winter.

Heal up!! There's always next season, right? B| I'm actually really glad I didn't go. Got some services at the spa. Heard the second mountain the group went to for the afternoon session was all ice and was crowded. I would've been one run and done. Worked out!
Always be kinder than you feel.