grue

A very old woman and a newborn baby are stuck in a burning building. You can save one…

mjosparky

Having spent 30 years as a Firefighter I would save both of them.

Sparky

A very old woman and a newborn baby have fallen into a fast-moving river with concrete blocks padlocked to their torsos. You have a key that is so fragile it will only open one lock…
cavete terrae.

Who do you save?
Assuming you're related to neither, and you don't know the old woman to be rich or something else that might bias you beyond their ages

I would check the vitals on the mother, if they're good, cool. I then turn my full attention to the infant. Reason being, The older woman had already lived a long & happy life, and of course the grand children haven't lived many moons at all.

Best-
Richard

grue

Who do you save?

Assuming you're related to neither, and you don't know the old woman to be rich or something else that might bias you beyond their ages.

Whomever presented the greatest opportunity for the BOTH of us to get out alive.

I ethically disagree with you asking to value one life over another. What if it were a newborn and a newborn with a terminal disease? A capitalist and a communist? Christian and Atheist?

I ethically disagree with you asking to value one life over another. What if it were a newborn and a newborn with a terminal disease? A capitalist and a communist? Christian and Atheist?

A Cub fan and a Sox fan?

No 'real' ethical argument here, you save the newborn for all the standard & logical reasons...hopefully they'll be a productive taxpayer & not be a drain on the healthcare system like the ole bitch is.

~ of course you 'could' possibly be saving a psychopathic serial killer in the making...but two strikes down, ya gotta take a swing at the best pitch ya see at the time.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

grue

***Having spent 30 years as a Firefighter I would save both of them.

Sparky

A very old woman and a newborn baby have fallen into a fast-moving river with concrete blocks padlocked to their torsos. You have a key that is so fragile it will only open one lock…

I was also trained in Swift Water Rescue. You try everything you can to save both. Until you are in the river you don't know what needs to be done. You don't start with the mindset that you can only save one. Regardless of the situation you start with the goal of saving both. It is amazing what you can do if you try. If you don’t try you will never know.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

BigMikeH77

***Who do you save?

Assuming you're related to neither, and you don't know the old woman to be rich or something else that might bias you beyond their ages.

Whomever presented the greatest opportunity for the BOTH of us to get out alive.

newborn without terminal disease, capitalist and atheist respectively. :D
cavete terrae.

grue

***What's with all the fucking house fires around here lately?

Do you know how many tries it's taking for me to set this situation up in real life?? It's fucking harder than it looks!

Ya better get it right PRETTY SOON...we're about out of old ladies! :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

JohnMitchell

I can run faster carrying a baby than an old lady, just sayin'.:P

That's just age-discrimination against grown-ups. I suppose if you had a choice between a skinny good-looking half-naked young chick, and a fat half-naked old man, you would choose the skinny chick, eh? Fat people deserve to be saved too...

Boogers

That's just age-discrimination against grown-ups. I suppose if you had a choice between a skinny good-looking half-naked young chick, and a fat half-naked old man, you would choose the skinny chick, eh? Fat people deserve to be saved too...

Like you need to ask??? :P

Hey, the chick might be my wife, right?
Fat old guy's on his own. :P

Boogers

The answer is too easy. Are you going to now chastise us for choosing the baby, with some philosophical argument about the value of all life, regardless of age? You must be setting us up for something...

You think so little of me!
cavete terrae.