BIGUN

People... WTF?!?!?

wmw999

Naw; I used cloth diapers for my son. Not traveling (my mother's stories were plenty for that). But with a washer and drier, once I got past the first couple months with their dozen or so diapers a day, it really wasn't that bad.

And way cheaper.

Wendy P.

I prefer cloth... The only reason we use disposable currently is because my mom refuses to let a dirty diaper near her washer (and, honestly, the build up of fabric softener in the washer would destroy the dipes). Cloth diapers have come a long way since the 50s :P

amstalder

***Naw; I used cloth diapers for my son. Not traveling (my mother's stories were plenty for that). But with a washer and drier, once I got past the first couple months with their dozen or so diapers a day, it really wasn't that bad.

And way cheaper.

Wendy P.

I prefer cloth... The only reason we use disposable currently is because my mom refuses to let a dirty diaper near her washer (and, honestly, the build up of fabric softener in the washer would destroy the dipes). Cloth diapers have come a long way since the 50s :P

Segue!

How many of you use cloth napkins, exclusively?
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

BIGUN

***On the other hand.. it makes for incredibly close family experiences. I sailed with my family from Florida to Bermuda, the Bahamas, Cuba and many of the northern Caribbean Islands before I was 8. The boat and summers were sacrosanct to our family summers when I was very little. You learn about the boat and your part in the rhythm of life on the sea.The learning experiences were incredible and the passages always meant studying ( listening to the history as told by Grandfather) about our next port of call and his experiences of having gone to sea on the tall ships in 1910.

You know what I mean.. There's a bit of a difference between hopping around the Virgin islands within USCG distance at 8 years old having learned some things about safety, the ability to swim better, grab something to use as a float, a well-schooled grandfather that can smell a bad situation. And that, of being far enough out in the Pacific with a 3 & 1 year old that it requires USN transports & Special Operations teams to assist. Far better folks than this guy have wound up dead. You wanna do it yourself; then by all means you're an adult. Would you take a 1 & 3 year old around the world on a 36 footer?

BTW... cool pics. You gonna take me out next time I'm up there?

We made the passage from Jacksonville to St George twice.. before I was 2;).. not that I remember it mind you but we have done it a few times since and the best time was when I was 14. We made the passage from Jax to St George, Bermuda and then to Eleuthera in the Bahamas. I say that was the best because it was me doing all the navigating. We are not talking GPS navigating either... I did it with the sextant and I hit them dead on thank you. The distances involved are important. It proved to the Grandfather that I was capable and had learned my lessons.

And yes.. I would have done it if I had an SO and family that felt it was important to do but.. well that was not the case. Many thousands of families cruise and we grew up with kids who only knew that lifestyle. Yes some do disappear never to be seen again, but while they are alive.... it is a life lived to its fullest.

Make sure you show up mid August... That is the best Chinook fishing and that is when I will take vacation. Before then.. it all depends on the silly ass seasons that WA Fish and Wildlife sets up here. I am getting rid of Little Red Boat next month... but Fishfull Thinking ( the 27' ChrisCraft) is on the trailer and Big Red is in getting a new transfer case and axle so spring commissioning is already underway:)

grue

I don't know what's worse, the idea of being caught on a boat for weeks on end with no food, or being on a boat for weeks on end with children…

That is up to you and the job you do as a parent. Books are wonderful things the farther you are from land and the more important they become. I can not stress enough... the importance of a well stocked ships library with not only practical books but a variety of titles with which to inspire a young mind.

Amazon

***I don't know what's worse, the idea of being caught on a boat for weeks on end with no food, or being on a boat for weeks on end with children…

That is up to you and the job you do as a parent. Books are wonderful things the farther you are from land and the more important they become. I can not stress enough... the importance of a well stocked ships library with not only practical books but a variety of titles with which to inspire a young mind.

Oh I can barely handle minutes with a child nearby, I just don't like 'em :D Even when they're being quiet and non-evil, I can just sense the latent annoyance waiting to come out
cavete terrae.

oldwomanc6

******Naw; I used cloth diapers for my son. Not traveling (my mother's stories were plenty for that). But with a washer and drier, once I got past the first couple months with their dozen or so diapers a day, it really wasn't that bad.

And way cheaper.

Wendy P.

Segue!

How many of you use cloth napkins, exclusively?

I don't have a washer/dryer, thus, paper towels.
cavete terrae.

grue

I don't know what's worse, the idea of being caught on a boat for weeks on end with no food, or being on a boat for weeks on end with children…

Worse: Being caught on a boat for weeks on end with your parents.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.