theonlyski

Reverse Osmosis Water

The previous owner of this house put in an under sink RO water filter. It never did work right till I sat down and figured out that the storage tank was missing it's air pressure. Works great now.

My question is, what is everyone's experience with RO water? I see lots of people posting online saying that it's missing vital minerals and blah blah blah.

The system I have contains a pre and post carbon filter, with the RO membrane in the middle.

Also fixed a slight water leak under the fridge that has caused a little water damage, so at least that is taken care of.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

It's about a TDS of 275-280 ppm, the water on the output of the RO system is <20ppm.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

theonlyski

It's about a TDS of 275-280 ppm, the water on the output of the RO system is <20ppm.

MMMMMMM Swamp water MMMMM

I remember how our water from the well at Grandfathers house out at Plant City used to smell. That was not a bad enough smell for Gramps, he used to drive a couple miles away to an artesian well that gushed cold water continuously to fill up milk jugs with that hydrogen sulfide laden stuff to drink.... for medicinal purposes.

Amazon

***It's about a TDS of 275-280 ppm, the water on the output of the RO system is <20ppm.

MMMMMMM Swamp water MMMMM

I remember how our water from the well at Grandfathers house out at Plant City used to smell. That was not a bad enough smell for Gramps, he used to drive a couple miles away to an artesian well that gushed cold water continuously to fill up milk jugs with that hydrogen sulfide laden stuff to drink.... for medicinal purposes.

My water isn't quite as bad as Plant City well water. I have Hillsborough County water which isn't AS bad, but sure does leave a lot to be desired.

The RO system is working fine now, took some work and cleaning up of the previous "install" job. Almost enough to make me consider going for a whole house RO system now that I see what a difference it makes in the water quality.

Phillbo

We buy Trace Minerals and add a few drops to my water bottle since we installed RO.

What's the reason for doing so? Is it for taste or to get the minerals back?

Total Dissolved Solids are not necessarily bad--most are much needed minerals. RO water is very aggressive. Well water is inert, generally. The pioneers here in the Midwest knew better than to drink aggressive, mineral-lacking water which will leach minerals from your body. They used rainwater for laundering their clothes and only drank and cooked with well water.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Croc

Total Dissolved Solids are not necessarily bad--most are much needed minerals. RO water is very aggressive. Well water is inert, generally. The pioneers here in the Midwest knew better than to drink aggressive, mineral-lacking water which will leach minerals from your body. They used rainwater for laundering their clothes and only drank and cooked with well water.

The stuff in Florida where I grew up was some stinking fetid stuff. The whole area around Plant City is pock marked with old phosphate open mines. The artesian well just down the road ALWAYS stunk to high heaven... Up north where our fish camp was the well water was usually pretty brackish since we were very close to the mouth of the river and right on the Gulf..

The well water in the Midwest is far different stuff depending on the aquifer.

Croc

Well water is "inert"? Most well water has plenty of minerals.

I understand what you are saying about mineral-lacking water, but if you get enough minerals in your diet, I have yet to hear a plausible explanation of how that can leach minerals from your body.

Taste is another thing. Pure water is boring, taste-wise. That's why the best tasting bottled purified water has added TRACE amount of minerals.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Unless well water is acidic it is chemically inert, meaning that it will not absorb further minerals by dissolving them from pipes and fixtures. Removing the dissolved solids returns water to its chemically active state, once more making it "aggressive" and able to dissolve, for example, copper out of a copper pipe. That is why all RO systems are piped with plastic (or should be!) and the faucets and tank are either lined with plastic or are made of plastic. This tendency to "pick up" minerals by dissolving solids makes RO water unhealthy to drink in many people's opinion. You will notice that most bottled "purified" water (RO water) now has added minerals to combat this problem.

Drink bottled spring water (i.e. well water) instead.

I never recommend RO systems to my customers for this reason. WHO conducted research recently and found that drinking RO water is unhealthy. Opinions will vary, of course, but I am convinced that drinking filtered "hard" water is better for you.

To the OP: Loose the RO unit, keep the faucet and install a filter! :)

"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Amazon

***Total Dissolved Solids are not necessarily bad--most are much needed minerals. RO water is very aggressive. Well water is inert, generally. The pioneers here in the Midwest knew better than to drink aggressive, mineral-lacking water which will leach minerals from your body. They used rainwater for laundering their clothes and only drank and cooked with well water.

The stuff in Florida where I grew up was some stinking fetid stuff. The whole area around Plant City is pock marked with old phosphate open mines. The artesian well just down the road ALWAYS stunk to high heaven... Up north where our fish camp was the well water was usually pretty brackish since we were very close to the mouth of the river and right on the Gulf..

LOTS of sulfur here -

Fish Camp in Plant City? Fishing for strawberries?

Or just a fish wife?:P:)

I lived there two for a while, and Brandon, and a few other small cities there.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

******Total Dissolved Solids are not necessarily bad--most are much needed minerals. RO water is very aggressive. Well water is inert, generally. The pioneers here in the Midwest knew better than to drink aggressive, mineral-lacking water which will leach minerals from your body. They used rainwater for laundering their clothes and only drank and cooked with well water.

LOTS of sulfur here -

Fish Camp in Plant City? Fishing for strawberries?

Or just a fish wife?:P:)

No the fish camp our family had was up in Steinhatchee, Gramps house was down south of Plant City on Keysville Rd. There were phosphate pits all around and the big brewery over in Tampa used to stock bass with tags worth some good money on them in the lakes that formed. The water out there sucked even the river just south of us smelled pretty bad.

Croc

Unless well water is acidic it is chemically inert, meaning that it will not absorb further minerals by dissolving them from pipes and fixtures. Removing the dissolved solids returns water to its chemically active state, once more making it "aggressive" and able to dissolve, for example, copper out of a copper pipe. That is why all RO systems are piped with plastic (or should be!) and the faucets and tank are either lined with plastic or are made of plastic. This tendency to "pick up" minerals by dissolving solids makes RO water unhealthy to drink in many people's opinion. You will notice that most bottled "purified" water (RO water) now has added minerals to combat this problem.

Funny you mention that. When the previous owner did the install, they cut into the line going to the fridge instead of running a new one... a COPPER line. :S

I figure, at best, the line is compromised in my eyes, so I ran a new plastic line to the fridge and did a good flush of the systems (water and ice) to make sure all of that crap is out.

Sometimes the easiest jobs take the most time. While working on this, I realized my disposal was corroded and saw a couple pin hole leaks, so I replaced that as well.

turtlespeed

Well, I have seen quite a few little turtles running around, especially in the pond behind my house (in Brandon).

theonlyski

***I lived there two for a while, and Brandon, and a few other small cities there.

Well, I have seen quite a few little turtles running around, especially in the pond behind my house (in Brandon).

I love me some Brandon Ale House
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Conundrum

My question is, what is everyone's experience with RO water?

I use it to top off my saltwater reef tank lol

Expensive . . . I have to put on into a project we are building - 1800 Gallon tank

I'm learning a lot . . . that I will likely not need again.:P

who'd have thunk it - Living Sand.:o

turtlespeed

Expensive . . . I have to put on into a project we are building - 1800 Gallon tank

I'd love to see the build! Mine is only a 120. Good enough for me. For now.

Conundrum

I'd love to see the build! Mine is only a 120. Good enough for me. For now.

We are still in concept . . . but you can see where it is headed . . . It was a lot smaller, now they want the whole wall.

I was like, "Wait . . you said you had a budget . . . what happened to the budget?":D

I think cost will shut them down and they will have to go with a 290 Gallon . . . The height is prohibitive for maintenance . . . but hey, it LOOKS COOL!:ph34r:

Conundrum

Fresh?

Here's mine. It's a work in progress, still a long way to go. Been building it for about a year now.

No - They want Reef.:|

Tank is 30' Long, by 4' High, by 2' deep.:|

It just isn't even worth it to do the cost analysis . . .[:/]