theonlyski

Reverse Osmosis Water

JohnnyMarko

Woof...my 55 gal all male peacock cichlid tank is hard work enough to stay on top of...every time I see a huge install like this I always wonder what the cost is to have someone maintain it (daily?)

After you get it all working properly, (they are wanting a very expensive analyzer), it pretty much runs itself - it will get daily visits at first, then weekly then monthly, at about 175/ visit.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Croc

Unless well water is acidic it is chemically inert, meaning that it will not absorb further minerals by dissolving them from pipes and fixtures. Removing the dissolved solids returns water to its chemically active state, once more making it "aggressive" and able to dissolve, for example, copper out of a copper pipe. That is why all RO systems are piped with plastic (or should be!) and the faucets and tank are either lined with plastic or are made of plastic. This tendency to "pick up" minerals by dissolving solids makes RO water unhealthy to drink in many people's opinion. You will notice that most bottled "purified" water (RO water) now has added minerals to combat this problem.

Drink bottled spring water (i.e. well water) instead.

I never recommend RO systems to my customers for this reason. WHO conducted research recently and found that drinking RO water is unhealthy. Opinions will vary, of course, but I am convinced that drinking filtered "hard" water is better for you.

To the OP: Loose the RO unit, keep the faucet and install a filter! :)

Just like the posters name, this is a "crock" of BS. :S

Please be careful when listening to new age quacks and make sure their claims are backed up by science.

The World Health Organization did not "conduct research" or determine that RO water is unhealthy. A quack (Kozisek) from the Czech Republic, sent a report to them while attending a conference in Europe, it was posted on their website as most reports are, and now the same quack is attempting to claim that means it was their research and they support it.

Here is an actual peer reviewed study, by American and Canadian doctors, published by the National Institute of Health regarding mineral content in drinking water.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1495189/
Their conclusion is that if you dont have a significant source in your diet of potassium, calcium and sodium then the minerals you get from your water could be important. For most people these needs are met through dietary consumption, if they eat a healthy diet, but if you are eating the stereotypical obese American fast food diet then your drinking water could be an important source of calcium and potassium in your diet.

And just for good measure the Canadian Water Quality Association also debunks the report by the Czech guy and the Russian research he is involved in as well.
http://www.cwqa.com/_faq/misinformation.inc.pdf

Fortunately, there is considerable evidence to counter the Soviet studies. Dr. Daniel Menzel, on of the nation's leading toxicologists and the chairman of the Department of Community and Environmental Medicine at the University of
California in Irvine, points to homeostasis as one of the reasons that the idea of leaching of minerals by consuming
high purity water is an "erroneous assumption".
Homeostasis is the control of ion and water concentrations in the body's fluids. All organs and tissues of the body are
involved in homeostasis. When the concentration of an ion such as sodium, potassium or calcium fluctuates, water
moves across the cell wall or membrane to equalize it. Therefore, any changes in concentrations from drinking high
purity water are quickly and naturally brought to equilibrium. These dynamic bodily adjustments continuously occur -
they can be measured and are not an ill health effect.

More evidence comes from the experience of the United States Navy. The U.S. Navy has used distilled sea water for
human consumption for approximately 40 years. The distilled water used on board ships generally has an extremely
low TDS of 3.0 mg/L. Personnel, particularly those on submarines, drink this water for several months at a time. In all these years, high purity water has not been noticed or documented to produce any negative effects and the Navy
Surgeon General's office has stated for the record that no ill effects occur from drinking low TDS water.