Tink1717

What to do with some money.

What Quade said.
Fuck that noise.

I have a good buddy that has bought 6 sets of tits.
He has a defective blood flow thought switch. It ALWAYS goes the wrong way.:P

I keep thinking he's getting in over his head with no pre-nup this time around too.
Wonder how much she'll get when she cheats on him too.
I'd hate to see the business partnership destroyed due to a gold digger.

"I ain't saying she a gold digger, but she ain't rollin' with no broke......"
:)

normiss

What Quade said.
Fuck that noise.

I have a good buddy that has bought 6 sets of tits.
He has a defective blood flow thought switch. It ALWAYS goes the wrong way.:P

I keep thinking he's getting in over his head with no pre-nup this time around too.
Wonder how much she'll get when she cheats on him too.
I'd hate to see the business partnership destroyed due to a gold digger.

"I ain't saying she a gold digger, but she ain't rollin' with no broke......"
:)

I have an exBoyfriend who had that as his ringtone for his exWife. Come to think of it he bought her tits! :D
Always be kinder than you feel.

$3800 for a computer, ANY computer, is ridiculous.

Even if you say the software is $1000 (and a quick search shows it's available for less that) it's still a huge waste of money.

I'm prepared to bet that you don't need a fully tricked out iMac... Like one? sure... but need?

I just built a high end watercooled PC for under $1300 that eats up video editing.. At least going that route would let you easily install a illegal copy of the software you need until you have cash to spare to buy valid licenses.

Or buy a cheaper version of the iMac.
Top end, branded bundled computer goods are NEVER good value.

Settle the divorce agreement and then build a budget PC and budget camera that will tide you over for a couple of years to bring in some cash.

Quite possibly the worst investment a man could ever make.

Yep, every friend I've ever had that did that got dumped.

Besides, any more than a C is a waste. B|
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

My answer depends on how much money you have in savings. How many months can you last without going into more debt if you lost your job?

That $5500 IS my savings. I have a pension, but I still have to work to afford anything other than cat food. I could last maybe a year that way, but anymore would be tough.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.

I have an exBoyfriend who had that as his ringtone for his exWife

The ringtone for my ex is "Bad to The Bone". :P

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Kinda out of my hands at this point. 52, fat, divorced, broke and bitter. I've been renedered invisible to the vast majority of women.:S

Tink1717

Kinda out of my hands at this point. 52, fat, divorced, broke and bitter. I've been renedered invisible to the vast majority of women.:S

Three out of the five of those are negotiable. :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Tink1717

I'm some of those things too right now so I know some of how you feel. It effin' sucks. Everyone says things will get better but I'm inpatient. I want my happy ending NOW. :D

Chin up, buddy. Your time will come! Hugs. :)
Always be kinder than you feel.

That $5500 IS my savings. I have a pension, but I still have to work to afford anything other than cat food. I could last maybe a year that way, but anymore would be tough.

I'm assuming your payments to your ex are interest free? If so, then you need to keep her on the monthly payment plan. Why pay her a lump sum if it's not costing you anything extra? Keep her on the payroll and make your money work for you in the meantime.

I think you should keep, maybe, $2500 in liquid cash ('cause, we know you; you never know when you're going to need bail money :P) and take the other $3000 and invest it.

I'm not in favor of you buying any toys at this point. Sorry! You and Normiss can form a "Skymama won't let me buy a new motorcycle yet" Club; he's not allowed to get a new one yet either. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

skymama

I'm assuming your payments to your ex are interest free? If so, then you need to keep her on the monthly payment plan. Why pay her a lump sum if it's not costing you anything extra? Keep her on the payroll and make your money work for you in the meantime.

I think you should keep, maybe, $2500 in liquid cash ('cause, we know you; you never know when you're going to need bail money :P) and take the other $3000 and invest it.

I'm not in favor of you buying any toys at this point. Sorry! You and Normiss can form a "Skymama won't let me buy a new motorcycle yet" Club; he's not allowed to get a new one yet either. ;)

I disagree. Pay her off; ditch her out of your consciousness.

If, at this point, you are still dealing with her, you won't let yourself move beyond and to the best way to make a real future for yourself.

I do agree with the no new toys, at this point, point.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

******Where the option, "Put money towards girlfriend's boob-job"!??!

:D:D:D

So true! The guy who pays for that rarely gets to enjoy them for long!

:D:D:D:D

FIFY

Try running Ubuntu Linux on current computer. Tons of free open source video and photo editing software.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Bolas

*********Where the option, "Put money towards girlfriend's boob-job"!??!

:D:D:D

So true! The guy who pays for that rarely gets to enjoy them for long!

:D:D:D:D

FIFY

Try running Ubuntu Linux on current computer. Tons of free open source video and photo editing software.

Mmmm, K. :S

I can't remember the last time I tried to enhance some random gal's boobs. :ph34r:
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

a new camera ( don't have one right now and need to make $ with one)

If this is something you have been successful at before (not a new venture), then the Suze Orman disciple in me would say purchase the camera (the thing needed to work/make money) and then--as long as you have your eight-months liquid reserves--put the remainder toward your debt.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Tink1717

My answer depends on how much money you have in savings. How many months can you last without going into more debt if you lost your job?

Pssssst... When you have debt, you don't have savings...

Pay the debt. Debt is crippling not only financially, but it's bad for your psyche as well. It's holding you back from moving on with your life...

The debt is a whole bunch of anger and upset and anxiety and stress and guilt and negative energy... Even if you get the stuff you want, that debt will keep dragging you down until you are rid of it... So get rid of it.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I have to concur with Andrea. Continue to pay installments whilst building an emergency fund.

I made sure we had or eight-months reserves before tackling student loans, car loan, mortgage...What is great for the psyche is knowing you will be OK should something God-forbid happen to you (and cause you even more debt if you have nothing to fall back on in the interim).

FWIW, I am 33 and have been debt-free for almost eight years now save a bit on a very low-interest mortgage. We agree that peace of mind is everything and being debt-free is an important part of that.

Ok, I can't argue with that... Pay off as much as you can now, and pay off the rest in monthly installments.

If the OP can lower the amount to $5000 and pay $250 - $300 per month, his total debt will be paid off in about a year and a half (or earlier if a second lump sum can be paid at any point in time).
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

PLFXpert

I have to concur with Andrea. Continue to pay installments whilst building an emergency fund.

I made sure we had or eight-months reserves before tackling student loans, car loan, mortgage...What is great for the psyche is knowing you will be OK should something God-forbid happen to you (and cause you even more debt if you have nothing to fall back on in the interim).

Most credit cards let you take a cash advance;
There is your emergency reserve, and it costs nothing when you aren't using it.

In contrast, stashing away cash reserves while you have debt, costs you interest on the debt.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Keep enough savings for a couple months of bills, and throw the bitch out of your life by paying off the divorce debt. Deliver pizza to make her go away faster.

Once the bitch is off your back, the bitter part will start to gat better, too

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

PLFXpert

Most credit cards let you take a cash advance;
There is your emergency reserve

This is why so many never get out of debt.

How does keeping cash in the bank (who pays a pittance interest rate), while paying sizable interest rates on outstanding debts make more sense?:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

skymama

If you have any credit at all, it's always better to pay off debt using your reserve cash and be debt free. Then, should you need "lost job" reserves. you can run up your credit card(s). My 2 cents. :)

How does keeping cash in the bank (who pays a pittance interest rate), while paying sizable interest rates on outstanding debts

It doesn't after one has enough emergency reserves; most people can elect to keep this fund in their ROTH IRA (and can withdraw those contributions tax-free and without penalty at any time as long as they are not touching the monies earned on those contributions).

Your way has to be paid back to a lender and--for most people--keeps them in a far more costly cycle of debt.

My way creates a cushion of cash on hand in an emergency, and once debts are paid off one is much more likely to stay debt free.

If your way works for you, great! For most people, it would not in the long run, imo.

Edited to add: Of course, if one has no reserves and has a specific emergency that is a need (I.e. a car repair and that car is your only means of transportation to work, etc.) said person should use a credit card option vs. taking any money from any retirement accounts (other than the fore-mentioned ROTH IRA that would be tax & penalty-free up to the personal contribution amount). But, having one's own liquid cushion should remain the goal thereafter so next time one does not have to borrow--cash advance or charge or whatever--from a cc and create more debt.

My free advice/opinion ends here.