Amazon

“No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer”

Remster

******Und don't mention ze var!

I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right.:$

You started it.

No, we didn't!
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

What is the deal with soccer lately? I've gone most of my life hardly ever hearing of soccer (yes, my great-grandfather was born in America :P), then all of a sudden I'm hearing about soccer everywhere I turn. Did they recently incorporate naked cheerleaders into the game or something???

Shotgun

What is the deal with soccer lately? I've gone most of my life hardly ever hearing of soccer (yes, my great-grandfather was born in America :P), then all of a sudden I'm hearing about soccer everywhere I turn. Did they recently incorporate naked cheerleaders into the game or something???

I think its part of the whole fitness thang that started to occur a little while ago. It is also a sport that both little girls and little boys can play without having to take steroids to be good at the sport.:)

Speaking of Real Sports and hearing a lot about soccer as of late, the show has done several features on soccer recently, including this week's (probably re-running on HBO now) 6/24 original-air-date episode. We just started watching it (we DVR it)...very interesting. [:/]

I cannot say how accurate the segment is, however, as a regular viewer of Real Sports I can say the features they have done on sports/industry/business I have personally researched/know a lot about have been pretty spot on (specifically, recent episodes have featured segments on horse racing and dog breeding. >:().

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Shotgun

The US is in the World Cup, so Americans start paying attention and news outlets speak of "soccer fever gripping the country" and America becoming a "soccer nation." This also happens when the US Women's national team reaches the latter stages of a tournament. It's a well-established pattern since the US hosted the tournament in 1994.

Then during the other 47 months between these big tournaments, it's back to your regularly scheduled program: American "soccer fans" stop caring and the sport disappears completely, because knowledge of and appreciation for the game is the exception rather than the rule.

Only in America can you find views of of the game as ignorant as Anne Coulter's attention-whoring troll op-ed.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

What is the deal with soccer lately? I've gone most of my life hardly ever hearing of soccer (yes, my great-grandfather was born in America Tongue), then all of a sudden I'm hearing about soccer everywhere I turn. Did they recently incorporate naked cheerleaders into the game or something???

No naked cheerleaders but I, for one, am very happy that the US team has white shirts. The shirts look great when the guys get all sweaty. It's like a wet t-shirt contest but with guys who have 8 pack abs! B|
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

skymama

What is the deal with soccer lately? I've gone most of my life hardly ever hearing of soccer (yes, my great-grandfather was born in America Tongue), then all of a sudden I'm hearing about soccer everywhere I turn. Did they recently incorporate naked cheerleaders into the game or something???

No naked cheerleaders but I, for one, am very happy that the US team has white shirts. The shirts look great when the guys get all sweaty. It's like a wet t-shirt contest but with guys who have 8 pack abs! B|

Perv... :P:D

There goes another good sig line quote should anyone want it. :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Amazon

http://www.salon.com/2014/06/26/ann_coulter_no_american_whose_great_grandfather_was_born_here_is_watching_soccer/

Really??? I think as usual someone is out of touch with reality.

I know plenty of "real Americans" who indeed are watching the World Cup. Funny thing is quite a few of them in my family, even the southern arch conservatives branches, have children participating in the sport. Did I mention that our family has been in America going back to 9th and tenth great grandfathers. Even the newest family line, my 2nd great grandfather, came from England in the 1850's and his 4th great grandchildren are competing quite well in North Carolina.:ph34r::ph34r: I know they are watching intently today.

PLEASE.. keep it non political ok... like lets talk about all of us who DO watch "fuutball" OLE'

So are you talking North Americans, Central Americans, South Americans, or US Americans?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

***http://www.salon.com/2014/06/26/ann_coulter_no_american_whose_great_grandfather_was_born_here_is_watching_soccer/

Really??? I think as usual someone is out of touch with reality.

I know plenty of "real Americans" who indeed are watching the World Cup. Funny thing is quite a few of them in my family, even the southern arch conservatives branches, have children participating in the sport. Did I mention that our family has been in America going back to 9th and tenth great grandfathers. Even the newest family line, my 2nd great grandfather, came from England in the 1850's and his 4th great grandchildren are competing quite well in North Carolina.:ph34r::ph34r: I know they are watching intently today.

PLEASE.. keep it non political ok... like lets talk about all of us who DO watch "fuutball" OLE'

So are you talking North Americans, Central Americans, South Americans, or US Americans?

You are a big boy... you figure it out.:ph34r:

Back to the thread title itself, my great-grandparents were both born here and my family is very involved with watching the games and my son just came back from 2 weeks in Manaus where he saw 3 games.

When I went to school, way back in the 70-80's (:o) in Florida there weren't any soccer teams at any of the high schools, nor was it a sport any of my friends played on a club team. We had mixed raced schools because it was the south and we were under desegregation laws, so it wasn't because I was at a "White" school. I did have a cousin who played soccer, but that was up in Michigan. I think it just took awhile for the sport to become popular across the country. By the time my son started playing in '96 in Alabama, it was a popular sport to enroll the kids in at the local Y.

In conclusion, her theory is a bunch of hooey. :P

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

skymama

Back to the thread title itself, my great-grandparents were both born here and my family is very involved with watching the games and my son just came back from 2 weeks in Manaus where he saw 3 games.

When I went to school, way back in the 70-80's (:o) in Florida there weren't any soccer teams at any of the high schools, nor was it a sport any of my friends played on a club team. We had mixed raced schools because it was the south and we were under desegregation laws, so it wasn't because I was at a "White" school. I did have a cousin who played soccer, but that was up in Michigan. I think it just took awhile for the sport to become popular across the country. By the time my son started playing in '96 in Alabama, it was a popular sport to enroll the kids in at the local Y.

In conclusion, her theory is a bunch of hooey. :P

That's what I am talking about...:D:D

In conclusion, her theory is a bunch of hooey.

As I said up-thread, she doesn't care, and almost certainly doesn't even think it herself. She's simply trolling to keep her name in the news... for which she then makes money. Nice gig, I suppose.

Andy9o8

She's simply trolling to keep her name in the news... for which she then makes money. Nice gig, I suppose.

Isn't that what some lawyers do?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Andy9o8

****** She's simply trolling to keep her name in the news... for which she then makes money. Nice gig, I suppose.

Isn't that what some lawyers do?

I troll for free. It's a public service.

See. No difference.:P

mr2mk1g

And having grown up in a country that plays that one with a stick played in an oval we know what we're talking about when it comes to boring.

Also true mate..... so pretty much all spectators sports EXCEPT .....

.. ladies beach volleyball then (.)Y(.)

No sticks but plenty of wood :$

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

shropshire

***And having grown up in a country that plays that one with a stick played in an oval we know what we're talking about when it comes to boring.

Also true mate..... so pretty much all spectators sports EXCEPT .....

.. ladies beach volleyball then (.)Y(.)

No sticks but plenty of wood :$

ALMOST a shocker . . .

aphid

The keep for the US side certainly deserved game honours today! In a decidedly one-sided contest he single-handedly kept the US from being completely humiliated.

He sure did. Fuck Belgium anyway. But damn... a 0-0 tie going into OT and 3 goals get scored for a 2-1 Belgium win? [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

>“No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer”

And they are DEFINITELY not eating pizza, frankfurters, nachos or French fries. Or drinking margaritas or Budweiser. They are all eating sumpweed, maygrass and salmon - and drinking pulque - like any real American.