JoeyH

Do you know anything about Solar Power? Help!

JoeyH

http://www.lamarzoccousa.com/portfolio/gb5/
maybe i read it wrong but here are the specs for the machine.

You read it right but one of those figures is wrong.
It's either 220V 21A 4600W or 220V 30A 6600W.
Or.. it has occasional peak Amperage of 30 but average consumption Wattage 4600.
I am not acting smart here but in your position I would want to know these "details"
What goes around, comes later.

Yes, 240v at 30A is a ton of juice. I used to run 8000W amplifiers off those kinds of circuits for concerts (Would run 10-12 at a time). I can tell you that solar will not be able to handle that load and your coffee will taste terrible because you wont get steam.

I have a Capresso S9 and it makes a wonderful espresso. I'm a total coffee snob (even use a vacuum pot for my brewed coffee) and this gives you store quality in a smaller machine. If you need to make a lot of espresso or froth all week get the Z9, its store grade.

But I digress, you can get a great espresso from 120v, hands down. Most units can generate the heat, it just takes a bit longer.

NOW... can you run a fridge from solar? You bet, we do it all the time. A stove? hmm... I think my kitchen stove takes 50A at 120v, thats a lot of juice. My generator can run it but not the large amount of solar we have.

The ROI on solar is still on the order of 10 years or so... which means if you are paying for hookups at the DZ it may be cheaper in the long run especially if you are paying by meter and not a flat cost. If its a flat cost, you should try and get 240v and have your espresso, bigger stove, etc.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

I think he was just overcompensating and assuming it takes a professional sized machine to make quality espresso. That's only the case if you're pulling shots in very rapid succession. He would have been paying for heating up a lot of water he just was never going to use.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

JoeyH

Btw I drink instant espresso, I doubt there is any tasteable difference to the stuff that beast does.

This sir had made me spit my cappuccino out while laughing. There is a huge difference and one that I would not be okay with. Plus, I already changed my mind on the machine. The one group bosco is a manual lever machine. It runs off of standard plugs and makes better coffee than the marzocco. An it's a sight cheaper.

Why not go one of the better heat exchanger machines? Learn the technique and you will get coffee as good as a big lever without the space penalty?
Never try to eat more than you can lift

JoeyH

If you know anything about solar power please help!!
Okay, I am currently designing a motorhome that will be built out of a school bus. It will be complete with a fridge, a stove/oven combo, and an espresso machine. I know I can get propane refrigerators and stove stuff but I definitely need a 220v hookup for the espresso machine. So how easy/cost effective would it be to use solar panels for all electrical needs instead of propane and generator. Ill need the 220v for the things listed above and a number of regular plugs for other appliances ect. How would this work and how cost effective (or less cost effective if that is the case) would it be?

I have this setup already and for my "OFF GRID" camping I also have a small 2.2KVa petrol Genset.
The solar panels are for house battery top up not for running appliances.
you could get an 12v/220v inverter but it will kill your battery pretty quickly running high wattage appliances.

I run the Gennie, when i want to make coffee or use the microwave or If I am off grid for an extended time I will run the gennie to help top up the battery if solar is not adequate.
With 10 litres of standard unleaded fuel I can stay off grid for 2 weeks completely self sustained and contained.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Iago

You wouldn't have AC in the summer which would pretty much suck in Texas.

or an electric kettle or microwave or toaster or coffee machine:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
But you can have ALL of those (one at a time) with a 2.2KVa Gennie;)
I have this one:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Southern_Man

What sort of conical burr grinder do you use? Do you roast your own coffee? With what method?

I have used a flat plate, which is fine but not as consistent***. I have not tried the paint gun/dogbowl setup or the home roaster.

I use a mahlkonig v30 for espresso and a mahlkonig Guatemala lab series for everything else. I don't roast my own coffee, i get coffee from Oak Cliff Coffee Roasters, Intelligentsia and Madcap Coffee Roasters. Sometimes verve. But IMHO these are the best roasters in america.
Carpe Diem, even if it kills me

LuckyMcSwervy

I'm beginning to think all of this coffee equipment talk is code for meth lab stuff. Just kidding. :P

All I know is my Kuerig machine. :)

Have I shown you my coffee-maker?:)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

LuckyMcSwervy

:D:D i don't watch it but I only knew what it was from the yellow haz mat suits. ;)

What can I say? I like my coffee strong!;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.