yarrum

Counter Strike

I used to run my own CS server about 5 years ago, I was so addicted. Now? Not so much. Too many people with mods and bots and such. Not much fun for me any more.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Well shit, if anyone wants to check out a game sometime, I'm usually in the .BAD. office server. Add [email protected] to steam friends and drop me a message.

And my speedhack will pwn your aimbot...:D

MSX p0wnz! :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Welcome to text based Counterstrike!

:You are on a large, dark map.

>Move N

:You have been pwned by a grue.

That, right there, is some funny stuff. :D
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

really isnt much point unless you have a group of people you can trust not to use any number of hacks out there now...

i mean really if i want to fight bots i could play single player games.[:/]

Yea, premades are the only way to go if you do play. I wish I did keep playing them, started playing HL2 recently and my aim has gone to hell. Hopefully I will be good again by the time Team Fortress 2 comes out in October

by the time Team Fortress 2 comes out in October

Reckon they'll finally hit a release target for TF2 then? :P

Already has a street date, was playable at E3 this past week. Will be boxed with several games - Half Life Episode 1 & 2, Portal (looks like a cool new puzzle shooter), and TF2.

Link about it with E3 info:
http://pc.ign.com/objects/877/877579.html#e3_stories

This looks fun as well:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/804/804933p1.html

How's this for a thread bump, 7 years isn't too bad ;)

Couldn't help it though... I used to be a competitive CS player back in the day, started playing in Beta 6 (2000) - and continued to play competitively for a few years until 2005 or so.

When Source came out, I stopped as it annoyed me to death how much it had changed for the worst. I got back into the 1.6 scene playing pickup games a lot in 2009 - 2011.

Then Counter-Strike Global Offensive came out, and I was hesitant at first - as I was a 1.6 purist. But I've been playing CS:GO for about a year now and man, things are on the way to being how they were back in 2003 where it had a thriving community and the game got a lot of support.

This weekend was ESL One Cologne, and there were some of the most insane games played. The American team, Cloud 9 came really close to beating world #1 NiP (for those unaware, the European scene has always been the strongest).

So for anyone who still spends their extra time behind a PC screen, it's definitely worth giving CS:GO some love, especially for some of the old 1.0 - 1.6 players who enjoyed it back in the day.

I mean, just check out what it's like these days as an eSport. Watching the commentated streams is great (From the recent Katowice event):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2QNAs5SAiQ

Long live CS ;)

I only briefly played it sometime between beta 6.5 and 1.1 at which point people weren't taking it too seriously and it felt like you could just join a game and have some fun. I doubt I'd survive a second on any live server nowadays.

Few weeks ago I was channel surfing after I got back from the DZ and happened to catch the finals of some CS:GO tournament on the TV and it was weird watching it as they had all these professional strategies and were taking it way too seriously. But then again the winning team got 5k$ for basically playing a video game for few hours.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

$5000 you say? ;)

There's been 3 $250 000 tournaments this year, $100 000 for the winning team.

Dota 2 recently had the International, where the prize pool was $10 000 000, yup - 10 million US dollars. The winner got something like $5 Million. It's likely that CS:GO will also have an event like that in future, where one can expect a $2 000 000+ prize pool.

It's become comparable to any atheletic sport now though, big sponsorships, team management, and well - decent sized cheques. They practice 10 hours a day and own practice houses where they bootcamp prior to competitions. And it definitely takes skill to train your reactions and land the shots - and know what your opponent is thinking so you know when you're being flanked or where the opponents might be in a clutch situation.

I mean there's always a few levels of play though, back in 2002-2004 there was a large pool of 'fun' players, which still exist today. But there was also a large community of pro players playing for money, where it was very serious.

Without strategy there's definitely no winning a competition :) Got to drop those smokes in just the right places, heh.

It's definitely the easiest eSport to watch though - quick, to the point and easy to understand.