keithbar

debit card. 20 questions

it used to be the cashier would ring up my purchases I would swipe my card punch in the PIN number hidden er done now you have to play this game of 20 questions with the touch screen do you want cash back? no are you sure? yes. do you want a car wash ? No .would you like a soy Frappuccino latte .if I wanted a damn cup of coffee I would have brought it to the cash register with me.am I just a curmudgeon or does this aggravate everybody else too it seems like there's more questions every day:S
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

why the hell is every freaking machine different!!!:P

This. A little uniformity would be nice, thanks.

And while I'm bitching......how about the guy or gal that stands there talking on their cell while everything is rung up and bagged, and then pulls out a checkbook ? A checkbook ?? Really ?? In this day and age ??

They're the REAL reason I stopped carrying concealed......just too much of a temptation.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

what really aggravates me is they won't even place the no thanks .button in the same spot on the screen .my old eyes I got to get my damn reading glasses out .and actually read the screen so I don't cancel the damn thing out and have to start all over again :S>:(>:(

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

keithbar

what really aggravates me is they won't even place the no thanks .button in the same spot on the screen .my old eyes I got to get my damn reading glasses out .and actually read the screen so I don't cancel the damn thing out and have to start all over again :S>:(>:(

And you think they do that by accident?:S:D:D

NoIdon'twanttogivetocharitynoIdon'twanttoroundupfortheboyscouts. . ..

I don't usually take my debit card anyway. Still use the frequent flyer credit cards the most (bought 2 tickets to Eloy on miles this month B|).

And I still carry cash for shopping at Winco Foods and for tipping wait staff and bartenders. I don't like running the tips for hard working people thru the credit card system. It costs them a percentage and makes it too easy for the IRS to track. ;)

I'm right there with you I never put anything in the tip portion if I'm using the card I always tip in cash:) but if you don't do your job not so much

keithbar

and if you do your job I tip well;) but if you don't do your job not so much

I read an article the other day that said how much people tip has less to do with service and more to do with whether or not you tip well. :D

Makes sense. I used to be a hard working, min. wage kid and know how much those tips mean. I start at 20% and go up from there. As I round up the $$, I think "They need this extra buck (or two) a lot more than I do."

It takes pretty bad service before I tip poorly. :S:D

I'm with you on this. I don't necessarily start out at 20%, but close. And I'm more likely to provide a specific comment to either the waiter or the manager than I am to stiff on a tip.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

I'm with you on this. I don't necessarily start out at 20%, but close. And I'm more likely to provide a specific comment to either the waiter or the manager than I am to stiff on a tip.

Wendy P.

I'll tip 15% on the untaxed portion for regular service and 20% on the untaxed portion for good service. I will not pay a tip on taxes.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

***I'm with you on this. I don't necessarily start out at 20%, but close. And I'm more likely to provide a specific comment to either the waiter or the manager than I am to stiff on a tip.

Wendy P.

I'll tip 15% on the untaxed portion for regular service and 20% on the untaxed portion for good service. I will not pay a tip on taxes.

I thought most people tip on the untaxed part. I always do.
Note how at the restaurants with POS terminals at the tables it offers to calculate the tip for you based on the after-tax total. Douche-nozzles. No thanks.

While we're bitching about the financial side of life, one of the things that drives me insane in the US is how hard it is to give people money, after living abroad for 8 years.

In Australia, I would have been able to get your bank details and send off a transfer direct to your account from mine, no fees, no middlemen, even between competing banks. Clears in one business day typically, or instant if we're with the same or partnered banks.

As for personal checks… honestly, I see no reason why I'd ever write one again for as long as I live.
cavete terrae.

FlyingRhenquest

"Just the tip?" ~ by David Allen Coe
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

"Just the tip?" ~ by David Allen Coe

Three Tracks in the snow -

- One Hung Low
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Yeah, those other countries also have those chips in their credit cards instead of the magnetic strips.

Turkey had a similar bank transfer thing -- but they charge a fee if it's between competing banks. My translator had three different bank accounts for that very reason! :S

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!