NewGuy2005

Very Strange Result from Credit Report

After being notified that my personal information has been compromised during the recent Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield "cyber attack" I have gotten a credit report for myself.

Everything was good, as expected with the exception of the list of previous addresses. I have lived at my current address for 16 years and at the last address for 11 years. Both of those were listed as expected.

However, there was a third address in a town about 60 miles from here. I have never lived in that town or conducted any business there. There was no date listed for this address.

I looked up the address and it is a $500,000 house, which is pretty nice in this part of the world, and not within my price range at any time in my life.

I went to Spokeo.com and found a list of people that have lived there and sure enough, there I was with my phone number and email address.

Any idea what might be the cause of this?

I'm not sure, but that's definitely something I'd follow up on. Maybe see if you can find a buyer/seller history for the house and touch base with the IRS to see if there's reported income for you that's not on the forms you filed with them. I'd be inclined to suspect that either someone with a close SSN to yours made a typo filling out some forms somewhere, or possibly someone's using your social security number. I've heard tell illegal aliens will use random ones. If it's the latter, you could get boned by the IRS later, so best to clear it up sooner.

Also since your information was compromised, it's entirely possible someone's taken (or is trying to take) out a loan in your name, which would also suck. I don't recall the details, but you can lock your records with the credit agencies so that people can't obtain credit in your name without an extra PIN code that you'd provide to the agencies. You might want to look into that.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

It might boost your credit score. Go with it. :D:D

Just recently I had a "frap", fraudulent application, done in my name and had a delinquent AMEX account I never applied for. It's being investigated and I've got a 90 day freeze on my credit. I'm waiting for my credit report to see what else might have been done. Crazy $hit, man. :S

Contact the credit scoring agency and ask them how they got the info and how to go about correcting/rectifying the info. It may not be a big deal or it could be identity fraud/theft.

I once had a few delinquent marks against me with Experian that did not show up with Equifax (or vice-versa - can't remember). One gave me an excellent score and the other a pretty bad one. I called and challenged my score. They asked for bank statements and further "proof" of my non-delinquency... It got corrected.

Thing is, some companies have their own scoring system and some just look at one of the big credit scoring agencies. If they happen to fall on one that has incorrect information about you, a future loan or job offer may not be given to you. I suppose it could also work in your favour, but personally I would want my score to reflect my actual circumstances/behaviour. Then there are no surprises further down the line...
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Another explanation may be what happened to me.

Around 2000, I was at Dilliards (rip) in Minneapolis and after I swiped my Master Card with the fat limit the clerk asked me if I wanted a Dilliards card.

It was instant approval with no application and I never gave it a second thought.

12 years later I return to the States after a 9.5 year stay overseas to find that I was living at an address in Illinois until 2005. It turned out that Dillards listed their corporate HQ as my address and it trumped my formerly current address without me knowing.

Back then, checking credit online was not as sophisticated as nowadays. You said it was old. Have you ever gotten instant credit without filling out an application?

Just one possibility. Good luck.

zoobrothertom

12 years later I return to the States after a 9.5 year stay overseas to find that I was living at an address in Illinois until 2005. It turned out that Dillards listed their corporate HQ as my address and it trumped my formerly current address without me knowing.

That's actually kind of cool. Too bad you can't assert ownership of that propery now heh heh heh
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Credit reporting agencies are idiots.

I pulled a copy of my reports from the big three to find one of them had an address which was in my hometown, but I had never even visited the place. It was the retirement home my mother had moved to, *years* after I had left town.:S

I reported the error to the agency, only to receive a letter: "We have reviewed our records and confirmed the information is correct.":S

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

I pulled a copy of my reports from the big three to find one of them had an address for for which was in my hometown, but I had never even visited the place. It was the retirement home my mother had moved to, *years* after I had left town.:S

I reported the error to the agency, only to receive a letter: "We have reviewed our records and confirmed the information is correct.":S

Equifax must pay $18.6 million after failing to fix Oregon woman's credit report

A jury Friday awarded an Oregon woman $18.6 million after she spent two years unsuccessfully trying to get Equifax Information Services to fix major mistakes on her credit report.

Andy9o8

***Credit reporting agencies are idiots.

I pulled a copy of my reports from the big three to find one of them had an address for for which was in my hometown, but I had never even visited the place. It was the retirement home my mother had moved to, *years* after I had left town.:S

Equifax must pay $18.6 million after failing to fix Oregon woman's credit report

A jury Friday awarded an Oregon woman $18.6 million after she spent two years unsuccessfully trying to get Equifax Information Services to fix major mistakes on her credit report.

Hey, I like this retirement plan!B|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Iago

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

If you want it off send them a dispute form that you never lived at this address. Someone down the line probably typo'd some information into a computer someplace. It happens a lot with credit agencies.

A 'credit freeze' only works if the people processing the credit application actually check with Equifax, which a lot of the time they don't.

Best defense is to get a report every year at
'annualcreditreport.com'

Or, you can get an identity theft insurance policy for pretty cheap.

This is the free site setup by the agencies, since by law in most states you are allowed to get your report for free once a year. The other sites are all scams designed to get your money.

Best defense is actually through a credit monitoring service.

I use two, one through myfico.com, which is part of fair isiac, the company the comes up with the logirythem for the actual FICO scores. The other is through my citibank credit card. Both report in real time if there is any credit applications, balance changes, new accounts, etc.

Well worth the small cost. I can stop things cold before they turn into bigger problems.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

JerryBaumchen

Yesterday's WSJ had an article on how Portland is the 'go to' location for retirees. And I didn't even have to move to take advantage of that.

It's on my short list, especially if I can pull off the current plan of retiring at age 55. B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

It's on my short list, especially if I can pull off the current plan of retiring at age 55. B|

It's a progressive place! Kind of sucks not being able to pump your own gas, though. I always fill up just before I hit the border.

FlyingRhenquest

It's a progressive place! Kind of sucks not being able to pump your own gas, though. I always fill up just before I hit the border.

Well, I'm lefty, and I'm lazy. So I'm two for two!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

JerryBaumchen

Hi Rhenquest,

Kind of sucks not being able to pump your own gas, though.

Depends upon your point of view. After my dad had both knees replaced, he really liked not having to out & pump his own gas.

You too will get old ( maybe ),

Jerry Bamchen

Timewuz, attendants pumped your gas everywhere. Then when self-serve started up, some places would charge you a higher price if you got the attendant to pump it - attendant service was considered a luxury. Today's generation of younger adults have been sufficiently indoctrinated to view what was a luxury as an inconvenience. Brilliant strategy by the industry.

Hi Andy,

Today's generation of younger adults have been sufficiently indoctrinated to view what was a luxury as an inconvenience.

Except here in Oregon where it is illegal. However, if it is a 'specialty car' or a motorcycle, then you are allowed to pump your gas yourself.

A 'specialty car' is a restored vehicle, show car, etc.

Jerry Baumchen

Hi Bertt,

OK, thread drift, but what qualifications do you have to have to pump gas in Oregon?

Probably only that you are still breathing. I did it for about 3 months back in '65.

Oh, I also could clean windshields, check oil, that sort of stuff. :P

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I worked from 5 PM to 10 PM and one night only sold 25 cents of gas; took two customers to do it.

I was involved in the Anthem hack, too. I put a freeze on all three credit agencies. Fortunately I have no debt and don't foresee any need to borrow money. But for a younger person or family who needs credit, this is a terrible situation. What will happen when the credit agencies get hacked? Just a matter of time. On a lighter note, once I got a notice from my bank that someone tried to make a deposit into my savings account. I wrote them back, giving them permission to accept deposits from anyone. So far, haven't gotten any.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

ryoder

It seems as though when the agencies get a report from a credit card company they take the numbers from the "High Balance", "High Limit", "Payment", and "Balance" fields and randomly enter them into their system. My favorite is when "High Limit" is blank and they put the correct limit for that card into "High Balance." Close enough, right?

Then they put your original loan amount for your mortgage into "high balance" and "---" into high limit and add that all together with your credit cards to make the overall totals as meaningless as possible. Then they say "your ratio of balance to limit is too high." Well no shit Sherlock, I don't have enough credit cards to cover the balance on my mortgage because why would I?

When I look at my credit reports there's not really any information that's wrong enough to warrant me arguing with them, especially since I end up with an excellent FICO score anyway, but it's all just so... sloppy.

ryoder

...I had never even visited the place. It was the retirement home my mother had moved to...

Aww, not even for host day?