NWFlyer

Are You *Sure* You Want to Wear Your Ring on a Skydive?

I thought the risk of de-gloving a finger was bad enough, and now, thanks to Jimmy Kimmel, I'm aware of ring avulsion, too. :S:S[:/]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CztT_pBFQv8
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

yowza (Hi Krisanne) I never wear a ring when jumping. Years ago a guy was working in our shop painting an off shore race boat. He had his hand on the rail and jumped off the side of the boat. He ended up hanging by his ring from the rail. They cut the ring off and he almost lost the finger. :(

You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Early during my marriage, I went on a simple jump from Mullin's King Air, being a floater with my hands, sans gloves, on the L-bar... sure enough the next guy climbing out inadvertently pushed me further out from the fuselage and the ring caught on the L-bar...

I managed to get my hand off of it and fell away early. All I got was a blood blister, and I'm thankful it wasn't any worse.

Never wore it while jumping again, and always put on my gloves.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

When I was in my teens, a girl on a local hayride caught her ring while jumping off a hay wagon. Hearing about what happened to her finger cured me of any desire to ever wear a ring.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

When I was in my teens, a girl on a local hayride caught her ring while jumping off a hay wagon. Hearing about what happened to her finger cured me of any desire to ever wear a ring.

Yeah. I am not married, so don't have the wedding ring thing; I'll occasionally wear rings but generally only to the office or out for the evening; never ever skydiving or even when I'm doing anything remotely active (although I suppose Fallon wasn't doing anything remotely active either).

And with that, I also realized that I typed "Jimmy Kimmel" in the first post and it's beyond editing time. I know the difference between my snarky middle-aged white guy late night hosts, really I do. :D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

And with that, I also realized that I typed "Jimmy Kimmel" in the first post and it's beyond editing time. I know the difference between my snarky middle-aged white guy late night hosts, really I do. :D:D

That's OK;
They are both great!B|
And I'm sure Kimmel is thankful it wasn't him.:D

BTW When you google "ring avulsion" now, almost every link includes "Jimmy Fallon".:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I wear a ring on each hand. My wedding ring that I wore on my wedding jump and my Navy Chiefs ring on the other. Never had a problem in 4000+jumps but I always wear gloves. Had an occasion were I was missing a glove and I took the ring off and stowed it in a pocket.

I wear a ring on each hand. My wedding ring that I wore on my wedding jump and my Navy Chiefs ring on the other . . . Had an occasion were I was missing a glove and I took the ring off and stowed it in a pocket.

And, still a Chief.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

ryoder

:o[:/]

I long ago saw the results of those kinds of injuries. After a few married years of "on-off-on-off" with my wedding ring while jumping, working with power tools, etc., I just put it in a drawer for safe keeping. Everyone knows I'm married anyway.

Phillbo

I'm having a hard time understanding how that injury could have required a 10 day ICU stay.

I think it was the recovery from delicate microsurgery that required the 10 day ICU stay. Sounds like it's one of those things that requires careful monitoring to make sure that the surgery "takes" and blood is flowing correctly. (Not a doctor, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but that's what I gleaned from a couple articles).