masterblaster72

David Bowie

Any Bowie fans up in here?

I'm listening to a CD that my ex-gf lent me, "Reality" from 2003, and wow, I'm blown away by it. His best stuff since 1980.

I've been a fan of Bowie since I was 16, but only enjoyed his works between 1969 and 1980. After the album "Scary Monsters" (one of his greatest works) it seems he woke up one day and simply lost his creativity. The albums "Let's Dance," "Never Let Me Down," and the "Tin Machine" albums got progressively worse and some hurt so much to listen to that I lost faith in him as a musician. I figured it was the coke or the money that killed his inspiration.

But this album "Reality" is really something, and I heard that "Heathen" and "Earthling" are good ones too, though I haven't listened to them yet since I got cynical on his recent stuff and gave up on him long ago. Now I look forward to hearing them.

My faith is renewed in Bowie as a genius musician -- the man is making some phenomenal tunes now as he did 30 years ago.

Long live the Thin White Duke! B|

Big fan here. And I agree with the pre and post Scary monsters statement. I saw him in '84 during his Serious Moonlight tour, then a coule of years later during the Glass spider tour (Name?). Good concerts, but nowhere near the stuff he was putting out in the 70's...
Reality IS a good album.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I still love Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.... but haven't been really engaged by anything in more recent years (which is a lot of years)....of course I haven't really listened to much of it either. May have to check this out though.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I love David Bowie!

Some of my favorite Bowie songs have never been on any of his greatest hits albums.:)
on the other hand i could listen to this list for the rest of my life and probably be happy:

Life on MArs?
Moonage Daydream
Sufferagette City
The Jean Genie
TVC15
Blue Jean
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Any Bowie fans up in here?

Craziness, I'm sitting here listening to Hunky Dory and was about to post the same thing myself!:D

Yep, the man is brilliant - I haven't got any of his really recent albums but I heard a lot of the singles and they did sound very good! Bowie is just someone you can listen to whatever mood you're in y'know?

Some personal favourites include
Oh! You Pretty Things (best song ever!)
Cracked Actor
Starman
Rebel Rebel
Ashes to Ashes
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Nice to hear there are other Bowie fans around here. A few of my favorite songs, in no particular order:

Running Gun Blues
Station to Station
It's No Game (Part 2)
Up The Hill Backwards
Rock n Roll Suicide
Panic in Detroit
Width of a Circle

I have an MP3 of Heroes in German, called "Helden." It sounds great in that language. If you're interested in hearing it PM me with your addy and I'll send it over.

:)

Craziness, I'm sitting here listening to Hunky Dory and was about to post the same thing myself!:D

For some reason I was searching for and listening to Bowie online last night. That wouldn't be odd if it weren't for the facts that I spent over an hour at it, and I'd NEVER searched for his stuff online before. :S:D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Yep, agree with everything you said.

I believe hell just froze over! ;)

See there..now we are talking important stuff like music. Ever seen Bowie live? I've been to see him 4 times. First time was when he was doing the Ziggy Stardust tour with Mick Ronson. Kicked F*n Ass.

Yes, saw him live once, in 1990, Sound & Vision tour at the Spectrum in Philadelphia. Great show -- he performed mostly his classics. He even played Life on Mars, which was a nice surprise. Crowd went nuts when he started on that one. Other than that, I've only seen videos of him live. Fantastic performer.

Nothing like what you saw though, you very lucky man. What a show that must have been seeing him live at that time.

Here's some nostalgia for ya...

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

His best stuff since 1980.

Well that says nothing, does it?

How does someone go from "I'll slash them cold, I'll kill them dead.."

to "tremble like a flower.." in 9 years?

I don't get it.

David Bowie died in the 70's, and someone cloned him, or did a frankenstien or something. They're simply not the same man.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

His best stuff since 1980.

Well that says nothing, does it?

How does someone go from "I'll slash them cold, I'll kill them dead.."

to "tremble like a flower.." in 9 years?

I don't get it.

David Bowie died in the 70's, and someone cloned him, or did a frankenstien or something. They're simply not the same man.

t

Agreed, although I still like a lot of his newer stuff. Were you into some of the Worhol groups of that era like Brian Eno, Roxy Music, Iggy Pop etc?

I remember seeing Iggy Pop for the first time. I was sitting in the first row when he started throwing peanut butter at us. I wish I could remember the song, but he jumped off stage and ended up sitting on my lap and singing.

F*CK THOSE WERE THE DAYS, EH?

edited to add: Bowie was never the same after Mick Ronson (R.I.P.) left the band. I remember going to see him when he was doing the Disco BS era. I almost walked out when he did Fame. [:/]

-

The return of the Thin White Duke! B|

The new single isn't bad...a bit sleepy and reminiscent of his sound from the album Hours, but I'll take it, considering the speculation for the last ten years that he is done making music.

The album is due in March -- looking forward to hearing the rest of his new songs. :)

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.