SkydiveNFlorida

Stainless steel hardware,... is it really necessary?

Is it necessary? I don't know. After having my rig for 2.5 years and 500 jumps this is what my three rings look like. You decide... (cadmium in picture)

Oh, shit. Is that what they're all made of? Man, I didn't wanna have to spend the extra dough, but it's looking like it might be worth it now[:/]

** Oh, nice camera, btw. Pretty detailed stuff. Thanks for posting!
Angela.

Is it necessary? I don't know. After having my rig for 2.5 years and 500 jumps this is what my three rings look like. You decide... (cadmium in picture)

Oh, shit. Is that what they're all made of? Man, I didn't wanna have to spend the extra dough, but it's looking like it might be worth it now[:/]

** Oh, nice camera, btw. Pretty detailed stuff. Thanks for posting!

BTW, my rig has spent most of its time in an air conditioned apartment in S.W. Florida. I got the standard b/c I didn't want to spend the extra money, and I liked the look of the standard. If I were to do it over again, I would get stainless except for the friction adapters (leg/chest strap hardware)

Camera is a Sony P-100 (my first digital camera) taken in macro mode under flourescent light.

--
Hook high, flare on time

LISTEN!

Ok, had to get your attention above the bling bling comments.

On my rig I got nickel when I bought it, I just had to send it off to get replaced with stainless. Why? Well for some reason the hardware started rusting. I had never landed in the water and the only time my rig got wet was when my rigger washed it for me.

So there, I have an honest to gawd why you should buy stainless story for you.

I've had nickel hardwware on my Mirage, which I've had for the last 3 years. Not only was it 1/2 the price of stainless, I think it looks better. My rig has gotten wet several times. A few times from ponds, and about 5 times from washings.

I've got zero corrosion.:)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

OK, More time and a serious answer. Look around the dz and you'll find rigs with standard hardare and 1000's of jumps and a decade old.

I have seen corrosion on hardware that I felt warranted replacement. However, that's a rig that did hit the ocean water. I've seen some on a fwe rigs but around here it's jut not common. Corrosion does happen but if it were such an issue, it would practicaly be mandatory to use stainless.

Given certain climates it is something to consider, but the only reason it's on my rig is because I like it.

Good luck!

I would get stainless except for the friction adapters (leg/chest strap hardware)

If you pick the right Stainless hardware and construction then stainless friction adapters on legstraps are NOT a problem. Examples are VSE (Infinity) and Mirage.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Stainless steel will be used more and more because the use of Cadmium will be restricted further.

Nickel is not really good as a corrosion protector. It scratches easy.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

I had my BASE container built with the black anodized hardware for that extra 'cool' factor...;) not really, but since it was an available option at no extra charge, i thought it might make the container a little less obvious for semi-stealthy building excursions... and its still pretty cool imo...

honestly i think your hardware is a personal choice, but the stainless should wear better years later and help the resell value if that is a concern….

I've been jumping 19 years. I'm on my 4th rig. I replace every 6 years or so, which statistically means every 1300 dives, or there about.

I've jumped for years (7) in Cape Town (Sea) Seasons in the US, Oz and the Carribean and the rest in Johannesburg, 5000ft ASL and dry for half the year.

All my rigs have had standard hardware. All have been gifted to riggers when my new rig arrived and been recycled back into the fray. Non have ever had any rust on any of the hardware.

For years I've heard SS blamed for slipping hardware and higher cutaway forces. The only rust that's ever been found on any of my systems was after a season in the Caribean, and it was the spring on the reserve pilot chute. Do they make SS reserve pilot chute springs? No.

My next rig will have standard hardware.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Ok, since you are in Florida, standard hardware does not have the longevity as stainless will. Yeah it will give you the "bling, bling" appearance and it will help with re-sale value, but it will be cheaper in the long run to get stainless. You could end up replacing your 444 rings which will require harness work which will well exceed the initial cost of the stainless. E-mail me at [email protected] if you have any questions concerning this. JT

Stainless steel will be used more and more because the use of Cadmium will be restricted further.

Good point. Many manufacturers are going to Stainless only because it's easier to stock less componants, and Cadmium Plated hardware is becoming more difficult to get as the plating process is enviormentaly toxic, so the EPA (in the US) is regulating it more harshly.

but it will be cheaper in the long run to get stainless.

Seriously, are rusted 3rings and other componants that commun? I live in England, done beach jumps, (never in water mind you) and I've never had any problems, and I've yet to personnally see a rusted componant on an active rig.
Remster

I had my BASE container built with the black anodized hardware for that extra 'cool' factor...

Anodized? You have aluminum hardware on your rig?

The thought of that sketches me out, especially on my one-shot container.

I have heard that nickle-steel is stronger than stainless steel, but both are considerably stronger than aluminum alloy.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

Anodized? You have aluminum hardware on your rig?

The thought of that sketches me out, especially on my one-shot container.

It's not aluminum. The Black hardware is plated, and is avaliable from DJ Associates. IT also eventualy scratches/wears through.

Also:

I have heard that nickle-steel is stronger than stainless steel, but both are considerably stronger than aluminum alloy.

For clarification, the "Nickle Plated" hardware avaliable on some rigs IS NOT nickle steel. It's the same hardware as the standard but with a nickle plating instead of a cadmium one.

Ok, since you are in Florida, standard hardware does not have the longevity as stainless will. Yeah it will give you the "bling, bling" appearance and it will help with re-sale value, but it will be cheaper in the long run to get stainless. You could end up replacing your 444 rings which will require harness work which will well exceed the initial cost of the stainless. E-mail me at [email protected] if you have any questions concerning this. JT

What about slipping with stainless, and others who have said there were problems with higher cutaway forces, etc. **I am prepared to suck it up and order the rig with stainless if it is that big a deal, but I wanna make sure i'm not trading a lesser evil (corrosion), or a greater one (life threatening slipping or impossible cutaway). ** Do you usually recommend not to have the legstrap and cheststrap hardware in stainless for these reasons like another person seemed to suggest?

Thanks.
Angela.

I think it looks kinda pimpish, but some say that it is the better choice. I'm not planning on jumping into the ocean with my rig then leaving it on the beach to dry, so does it really matter??Thoughts?

It is for looks only. It will help with resale value.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I think it looks kinda pimpish, but some say that it is the better choice. I'm not planning on jumping into the ocean with my rig then leaving it on the beach to dry, so does it really matter??Thoughts?

It is for looks only. It will help with resale value.

Any thoughts on corrosion factor? You're here in Fla, Ron, do you have stainless, and if not, how have your rigs held up? I am not concerned with resale.

thx.
Angela.

If you get the new leg strap adjusters like Mirage, Infinities and Jav's have its not an issue anymore. Using the older design it could still slip.

I'm buying a Voodoo.

This is hard. I might stick with the non-stainless hardware and kick myself later if it needs replacement. I don't want to think about having anything slip on opening!

Angela.

If you get the new leg strap adjusters like Mirage, Infinities and Jav's have its not an issue anymore. Using the older design it could still slip.

Parachute Systems uses Stainless Steel hardware manufactured by PdF. I have this on my Vortex II. I think Mirage use the same hardware as Parachute System.

Yves.

Any thoughts on corrosion factor? You're here in Fla, Ron, do you have stainless, and if not, how have your rigs held up? I am not concerned with resale.

I have three rigs.

One is standard...It has 1,000 jumps on it and is 8 years old.

Two are Stainless and about 2 years old.

All three are fine.
All three are safe to jump.

If you take care of your rig it will not corrode. Rigs were using the standard metal for 30+ years and I have never seen or heard of a failure.

Still, if you can afford the bling,bling get it. It does increase the value of the rig, and you WILL sell it at some point.

But Standard/Stainless is such a non-issue when it comes to function.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

It's not aluminum. The Black hardware is plated, and is avaliable from DJ Associates. IT also eventualy scratches/wears through.

Thanks for clarifying. I wonder why they don't use a spray-on/bake-on Teflon/Moly coating instead of plating. It's got built-in lubricity and it totally protects the metal. Hmmmm...:)

For clarification, the "Nickle Plated" hardware avaliable on some rigs IS NOT nickle steel. It's the same hardware as the standard but with a nickle plating instead of a cadmium one.

Thanks for the correction.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.