chutem

PD 210 Sillouhette

I am a new jumper at 155lbs and have been on a nav 220 so far. I am looking at a 1998 infinity rig with a PD210 Sillouhette. Is the Sillouhette ok for a first canopy? How many jumps do they last? Any comments on the infinity container?

Thanks
James

The Infinity is a fantastic rig. It’s unlikely you will notice a difference between a 210 Silhouette and a Navigator 220. 10 square feet on like canopies at such a low wing loading is almost undeterminable.

Depending on the condition, that setup is fine, but you may want to consider a wing loading closer to 1 to 1 rather than .8 to 1.

I believe a 98 rig is just fine. There have been improvements made in the past 6 years.

Your profile says you jump at skydive Arizona sp grab the rig walk over to the rigging loft and have it looked at.

There are lot of really good freeflyers at that DZ. If Omar is there, he's very friendly and would help answer that question. Any one from the freefly school would probably be a good source of information. Good luck!

I don't know if Kevin McGuire hangs out there any more but he's a well versed skydiver and Master Rigger.

Put it this way, you jump in the right place if you need that question answered;)

The biggest difference you would see with the silhouette is that it is a hybrid canopy, so you'd get your first taste of how ZP canopies act. I jump up at 6,000 MSL and i've heard a lot of people up at these higher altitudes like the hybrids. I've personally never jumped one but passing on what i've been told to you i've never met a disatissfied silhouette pilot. Have fun and good luck.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

The Silhouette is a great canopy - it's relatively easy to pack as well. Soft openings, pretty good performance. It is designed to be a high performance large canopy, so it will tend to "feel" faster than something like a Sabre-1 210. It will last around 1000-1500 jumps. You will need a new line set every 400 jumps or so.

I love my silhouette. Great openings, flies great, easy to pack. Its been a wonderful first canopy. In about 50 jumps I've put on it, I've only had line twists once, and it was from my own lousy body position. No other problems, ever. I've heard it called "PD's best kept secret."

the sillouhette is a sweet canopy. i have jumped a 190 many times, love its openings, love to pack it, and will most likely make it my replacement for my sabre 210 when i buy my next canopy.

Like bilvon said, it will be more "zippy" than a navigator. just get a briefing from your instructors.

play with it up high, find its flare, and have fun with it.

BUNGE

I don't hate them, I just like us better.

Last year one of our junior jumpers bought a slightly used Silhouette 210 or 230. Most of his landings have been stand-ups, near the bowl. He loves his Silhouette.
Also remember that the only group of Canadians who consistently land off-DZ (military Search and Rescue Technicians) jump Silhouette 300s. They chose the 300 square foot version because they often weight close to 300 pounds out the door.

Congrats on your "A" man... FWIW I have been demoing a Sabre2 210, it is a LOT more fun than a Nav (even at my light wingloading of .96) give it a try if you are interested they have several at Square2.

FWIW I have had seveal people at Eloy recommend against the Silhouette due to the hybrid construction (it won't last as long) and also a ZP main like a Sabre2 will have better resale down the line when you feel like downsizing (which is likely since you are loading it pretty light).

Anyway, see ya at Eloy... ;)
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

I have a couple of jumps on the silhouette 190 at a wingloading of 1.1..It's a very fun canopy..great turns and a powerfull flare. I think it's a great first canopy. I have only demoed a silhouette and a aerodyne pilot so that's my only reference. I noticed that I got a better flare from the Silhouette then from the Pilot (I couldn't stall the pilot with my steering lines though so prob the lines were just too long to get a better flare??).

Last year one of our junior jumpers bought a slightly used Silhouette 210 or 230. Most of his landings have been stand-ups, near the bowl. He loves his Silhouette.
Also remember that the only group of Canadians who consistently land off-DZ (military Search and Rescue Technicians) jump Silhouette 300s. They chose the 300 square foot version because they often weight close to 300 pounds out the door.

Rob,
There is a group of sailors on the east coast, deb group or something, that have been going to the Silhouette 300 and a 360 or 370 for some high altitude weapons barrel jumps. :)
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals