psychoswooper

Tempo Reserve Problem

I have to confess I'm a little surprised by the Tempo problem as well. I have one and have two rides on it (tempo 150 loaded at about 1.4. I have had no problems at all with it. I have had it packed by 3 different riggers and all thought the construction was excellent. But either way they don't make them anymore so it's either used or something else.

Oh and Plueeese! You sell them, you have a vested interest in keeping the name in good condition.

Don't run your mouth before you check your facts.

I don't nor does Square 1 sell Tempos.(Hard to do since they are no longer manufactured)

I also have never done large trade in them, nor would I EVER sell something I wasn't willing to trust my life to.

How many threads on PDR's with 'built in turns' are there???

If you were involved in the industry you might have some idea of the complexity of design and manufacture, and realize that EVERY manufacture has had their problems. I've seen PD's show up fucked up before. I won't go into detail because no manufacturer needs that, but sufice to say that's why people should pick a good rigger, and get involved in their gear.

Don't confuse bandwagon with fact. Get out from behind the phone. Latz!!

How many skydives did you make last week? I'll bet I made more. Don't assume that because it's my job to answer a phone, I'm not out there involved in the sport.

The turn in the orginal incident was caused by end cells that would not inflate. Any number of reasons POST manufacture could have attributed to this. Pack job, how the reserve and rig had been stored, contamination/residue on the reserve. The selling price is one factor that had nothing to do with it, a point I was trying to make.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Its comments like these from "know it all's"

First of all I asked a question. Never did I make a statment that I know it all. You can take that comment and put it where the sun don't shine and spin it around real fast! >:(

I asked the question because it was a valid one. I have had 2 Tempo reserves and have never had a problem with them. I have seen many people land them and not have problems. I ask the question because newbie will blame a canopy for anything that goes wrong. Weather it is the canopy or not. I see people all the time try and put them selves in the ground and say it was the canopy and it wasn't. They can put themselves so far in the corner and then say the cnaopy didn't flair right or what ever they precieved the problem to be.
Dom

reply]Oh and Plueeese! You sell them, you have a vested interest in keeping the name in good condition.

I actually had one of those peices of crap on my back for a few hundred jumps before I could afford something better for my life.

You need to get you facts straight before you put your foot in your mouth. The Tempo reserve in no longer made, so how could JP be selling them?
What kind of 1st hand knowledge do you have about Tempo's or are you just running you mouth.
I have 5 rides on 2 different Tempo reserves and no problems.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Oh and Plueeese! You sell them, you have a vested interest in keeping the name in good condition.

Relax their genious.

He has no vested interest in TEmpo's and neither do I. They don't even make them anymore!

Don't confuse bandwagon with fact. Get out from behind the phone.

JP is out from behind the phone and in the air more then you are I am sure.

You made a stament that isn't true and he called you on it. Just becuase something costs more doens't make it better.

Is a Javelin "better" because it costs more and takes longer to get? NO

Is a Talon any less better because it costs less then a JAv? NO

They are both safe rigs, both are good quality. One isn't better because it is more expensive. THat is just wrong thinking on your part.

Since the PD reserve is more expensive does it mean it is better then a Smart reserve from Aerodyne?

If you think that way, I have some $10.00 pencils to sell you. They are way better then the cheap ones form Wall Mart.
Dom

Phree I just read that and it still seems wierd to me that those where all at the same DZ.

I wonder maybe the same rigger and the same turn from the canopies? Did they ever figure this problem out? I wonder if it was a rigger issue there? What did PISA say about it?
Dom

I'm not sure about the older entries, but I know the one I am refering to is one that the jumper was the rigger on it. He got his first save on his second pack job or so iirc. I just found it extremely odd that some people are saying they had a left turn, others are saying a right turn.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I've got 9 rides on Tempos. Far from a piece of crap, my Tempo appears to be a well-constructed quality reserve. It's always opened cleanly on-heading, is a docile flyer, and lands nicely. I've not noticed any turning tendency.

Bob

Dang you've got me beat! I've got 15 rides total - 8 of which are on Tempos. I've ridden 2 different Tempo 120's and have a as-of-yet-unjumped Tempo 150 in another rig. I hated my Dash-M 109 reserve (no flare) and swapped it for a Tempo because I've liked them so much in the past. Mine lands very well, flies straight and is a very good quality.

W

its not all that unusual to have 2 different canopies with built inturns in opposite drections.if checking line lengnths ,cell heights,full flite settings (compare left to right)doesnt reveal any problem,then chances are good to exellent that the problem is actually material bias.if you look at a roll of fabric real close you will notice that the fill fibers(those running across the fabric from selvage edge to selvage edge) do not run straight across the fabric.that is material bias. manufacturers have had to deal with material bias in building canopies since the early 70s .there is really only one technique to compensate for it.but ocasionally a canopy gets built without corecting for material bias.if your canopy was built without compensating for material bias ,IT WILL HAVE A BUILT IN TURN.and it could be either left or right.

I'm not sure about the older entries, but I know the one I am refering to is one that the jumper was the rigger on it. He got his first save on his second pack job or so iirc. I just found it extremely odd that some people are saying they had a left turn, others are saying a right turn.

Hrm, mine works great. Low front riser pressure, but the rears aren't very effective compared to my main for some reason. :)

The only problem I had on my last chop last year (the FX) was when I was hanging in rears to try to see where everything was landing (F-ing corn) it got a bit mushy and didn't like it much, but overall no problems.

P.S. Were you talking about me, or Scotty?

--
Hook high, flare on time

Neither ;) If Jerm will ever get off his rear and post the story he told me... there will be a first hand account of the turn from an experienced jumper posted.

He was talking of Static lining it as a main to verify the issue.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have two jumps on my Tempo 210, one at Eloy in May last year (1,500ft MSL, 100deg+) and one a week later :$ in Scotland (0ft MSL, 50deg-).

I definitely thought that the canopy had a turn when I jumped it in Eloy, indeed I was flying at quarter to half brakes with one toggle to fly it straight. :S I had Brian at Bombproof Rigging check out the canopy, and there were apparently no issues. [:/]

On the subsequent jump back at home, the canopy appeared to be flying straight...:D

Conclusions:

1) The Canopy has an inbuilt turn, and I was uneven in the harness on the second jump. >:(
OR
2) The Canopy is perfect, and I was uneven in the harness on the first jump. :$

Which do you think was more likely? ;)

PS I still jump the Tempo 210, because I know it works, and will save my life, and I have just purchased a Smart for my new rig. B|
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

I flew a Talon once, took a month for the black and blue marks to heal in my legs. Good opening on the canopy and everything.

As for cheap gear like this and tempos...i'll go back to my origional statement.

Ya get what ya pay for!!! Latz peeps. (Hey I bet you can apply this common statement to more than skydiving gear!!!)

I flew a Talon once, took a month for the black and blue marks to heal in my legs. Good opening on the canopy and everything.

Explain that. Canopy opens nice and soft so how do you get the brusies?

Ya get what ya pay for!!! Latz peeps. (Hey I bet you can apply this common statement to more than skydiving gear!!!)

Once again I have some really expensive penicls to sell ya. That is not true in so many things in life. Just because something costs more does not make it the best. Would you be interested in $20.00 dollar pull uo cords. I will put them in a .10 case paint a cool logo on it and they will be better because they are more expenisive. That is your logic. Doesn't fly with me.
Dom

Funny....I jumped a Talon for my first 100-ish jumps and never had any comfort or bruising from it.

As for cheap gear like this and tempos...i'll go back to my origional statement.

Those aren't statements, only opinions. My Tempo works just fine, thanks. Now, my expensive Stiletto, that's another can of worms entirely.

Getting what you pay for is never an absolute.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Getting what you pay for is never an absolute.

I agree with you here, but it wouldn't become a saying if it weren't commonplace. I understand what he is saying, and have heard similar advice. I went from a Tempo to a PDR because of recommendations by instructors with many jumps. No blanket statement is true across the board, but his opinion is not completely off the wall. OF coarse there are people who have not had any problems with their tempos, and there are people that think they suck.

I have heard from experienced skydivers that the Tempo has some inherent problems and it is worth the extra money to buy a PDR (or other). That is my opinion based on other people's opinions.

David
...FUN FOR ALL!

This is a forum for discussing and learning from incidents. If you'd like to start a thread on Tempo reserves, or on people with little experience recommending or dissing gear, please do so in the appropriate forum.

well said billvon B|
should put this at the top of every discusion thread!
life is a journey not to arrive at the grave in a pristine condition but to skid in sideways kicking and screaming, shouting "fuck me what a ride!.

I did shove a Tempo 150 up my ass once... it opened like shit!!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present the bringer of the utimate wisdom, the man who said "Ya get what ya pay for!"

Kinda like his advice.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

>Canopy opens nice and soft so how do you get the brusies?

Had a girlfriend once who weighed around 100lbs and was 5'9". She got bruises all over from the student gear even though our cruddy old DC5's opened really softly; the rig just fit her so badly that the loads would bruise her even during soft openings (and she had no padding at all.)