flyuke

Comfort - leg straps

I got bruised up legs during AFF and later on using javelins. I bought second hand mirage and goodbye bruises.
What are the most comfortable legstraps?
I am interested in getting a new rig --thinking of atom legend, vector3 , voodoo and mirage.All are safe but which is most comfortable under canopy?

Does anyone know of extra foam padding in leg stap options on these rigs or others?
Any comments on how leg pads grip legs---voodoo seems to best fit contour of leg/butt. But they have little padding in them compared to mirage/vector.

Any thoughts?

I got beat up pretty bad with student Javs also, I know the feeling. I had black and blue marks all over my legs from those things. As for what is best, thats up to you. I would say you need to try on a few and demo jump them to see what you like best. I have a Vector now that is a lot better than the Javs but still not what I think of as comfy. I have jumped several other containers and like them all for different reasons. Find the one you like the best and try the double wide leg straps, they are great. I just got in my new Icon and love them.
Oz

Both of you should note that it's more than likely that the reason you both got beaten up by the student rigs you were jumping was not because they were Javs but because they were ill-fitting student rigs. Jav's are not inherently prone to hurting your legs. Student rigs are.

I rented fully articulated javelins after AFF and after 4 jumps the bruises came back.This happened a few times.They curve around your legs differently and have poor foam padding compared to other rigs.
I am not interested in javs mainly because a lot of them have a tendency to open their main flaps head up.
Can't believe they still make them that design! They could keep the same design and have the flap tuck down and in, like atom legend--from a distance it would look like a jav but would be more likely to stay shut freeflying.If they did this i might buy one.However, until the herd mentality stops they will not change it.People survive AFF mainly using javs and they stick with them forever, scared of even trying something else.It is great for RW but far down the list for any other discipline.I know 3 people who have had prematures--all 3 on javs, one of which had a headdown prem jumping a pull out.He was sponsored by sunpath!
Anyway it is comfort on legs, not pin safety that i am interested in.
Any other people buying new rigs that still bruised you badly?

You can also augment a rig with leg straps that are more comfy. I stuffed some neoprene scraps from a wetsuit manufacturer into an old vector two for free. It would be more of a hassle if you had to have a master rigger work on your harness. But if you find a rig you like cheap, this may offset the cost.

Infinifty containers can be ordered with double wide leg straps that are suposed to be super comfortable, i'll let you know when i get mine in at the end of this month:)

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

I rented fully articulated javelins after AFF and after 4 jumps the bruises came back.

You're always going to be lucky if any rented rig fits you well. Articulated or not. Pre or post licence.

Check my profile and you will see I do not jump a jav, my comment was not out of brand loyalty. And IMO you're spot on with your complaint about the main flap on the jav.

"double wide" leg straps are standard on all Relative Workshop rigs, along with thick, cushy padding. It's super comfortable under canopy.

And I just got a new Icon that's really comfy.

I'd wager that as longs as the leg pads are long enough (but not too long), you shouldn't get bruising with any rig that's a reasonable fit...

Infinifty containers can be ordered with double wide leg straps that are suposed to be super comfortable, i'll let you know when i get mine in at the end of this month:)

Some people don't like the double wide, as they tend to, um, come very close together between the legs. I like them.:) But it's personal preference, or genetics.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I had a question about this too, so I figured I would just add to this thread. What is the best fit for you?
1. Tight and all the way up to the crotch
2. Snug and all the way up to the crotch
3. Tight and 2-3 inches below the crotch
4. Snug and 2-3 inches below the crotch.

I cant figure out if it is the placement of the straps, or if mine are too loose giving them room to jerk into position if you know what I mean. It seems fine on the ground, then as you sit in the plane they move, you readjust on the way too the door, and I am sure they move again in the air. I hate the way it looks when you put them all the way in the crotch and tighten them up good. It looks like there is a small couch pillow in your pants lol. Hope this helps and does not hijack.

>double wide" leg straps are standard on all Relative Workshop rigs,
>along with thick, cushy padding. It's super comfortable under canopy.

A friend of mine got the double wide Infinity leg straps. They bothered her so much that she sent the rig back.

I got my rig (Wings) last fall and have never had something more comfy. They cut their legstraps so that you are not placing the weight on the crotch but more like a slight sit (back of your legs/buttocks). They are veery comfy (i actually thought something was really wrong on my first jump on it because i didn't feel the legstraps squeezing)
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

... but because they were ill-fitting student rigs ...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Start by asking an instructor to help you properly adjust student harnesses.

Tightening leg straps HIGH in your crotch will make the crotch of your jump suit bunch up, like an Elizabethan cod-piece.
Some guys are proud to sport that image.

On a more serious note: leg straps are going to ride high in your crotch a hundredth of a second after opening, so you might as well adjust them to that position before boarding the plane.

Whether you buy wide of narrow leg pads depends upon how wide your thighs are. For example, I have "chicken legs" and find the double wide leg pads on tandem Vectors extremely uncomfortable. On the other hand, the narrow, rolled edge leg pads on my Talon 2 are so comfortable, Strong Enterprises adapted them to tandem rigs.
Wide thighs equal wide leg pads.
Slender thighs equal slender leg pads.

As for padding material, the 1/4 inch thick neoprene (aka. wet suit material) used in Mirage leg pads makes WAY more sense than the silly white, closed cell foam used by most other manufacturers.

You can also augment a rig with leg straps that are more comfy. I stuffed some neoprene scraps from a wetsuit manufacturer into an old vector two for free.

I did the same with my old Vector. I used two long strips of very rigid foam (about 3/4 of an inch thick). Now it's quite comfy.....Steve1

I am not interested in javs mainly because a lot of them have a tendency to open their main flaps head up.
Can't believe they still make them that design! They could keep the same design and have the flap tuck down and in, like atom legend--from a distance it would look like a jav but would be more likely to stay shut freeflying

Like a Wings?
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

One thing that does have an impact on comfort, whatever rig you use, is the way you adjust the legstraps. I know I only have 43 jumps, but I've seen 1000s of people putting their rigs on, and only about 20% do it the "right" way. I know this is subjective, but I use the method recommended in Parachuting: The Skydiver's Handbook. Get this book as soon as you can, everyone should own it!

Here's a direct quote (immature giggling mine):

Loosen the front (main lift web) chest and leg straps. Don the harness by placing it over the shoulders. Thread the chest strap but do NOT tighten it yet. Bend at the waist, reach under the pack and push it up high on the shoulders. If there is a full saddle, slide the saddle down over the buttocks (giggle), making sure the leg straps are not misrouted. Hook up the leg straps and tighten them. (If you have thread-through leg straps, you will probably step through them rather than unthread and rethread them.) Adjust the main lift webs (if adjustable) so that the canopy release hardware is located in and above the hollow of the shoulders. Grasp the diagonal back straps (if adjustable [or present - mine]) and cinch the down. Pull them forward and down to the front, until the harness feels snug around the body. The harness should be snugm but not so tight you can't walk. Adjust the chest strap. Thread and tighten the bellyband if you have one. Stow all excess webbing in the strap channels or elastic keepers provided so that they do not flap in the wind.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

>double wide" leg straps are standard on all Relative Workshop rigs,
>along with thick, cushy padding. It's super comfortable under canopy.

A friend of mine got the double wide Infinity leg straps. They bothered her so much that she sent the rig back.

I've that read some women do not like them due to the extra material and others say it takes a little getting used too while others love them right away.....personal preference I guess.

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "