Perche61

How would you feel if your rigger smoked dope?

Actually, I think he has other deeper issues, as I said before it's not the dope, it's the way you approach your responsibilities.
There wasn't any jumping the night before or at all the previous week.

Also, it should be said that alcahol gives memory loss too. If we're worried about riggers getting stoned and packing, we should recognize that it's no different from drinking and packing.
At our DZ we even have strict rules about cracking a beer and then packing your main!

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

senior rigger, back, commercial pilot, single/multi engine/instrument airplane, mechanic airframe/powerplant, flight engineer/turbojet, ground instructor/advanced/instrument, camera person, tandem instructor, (strong, vector/sigma) static line instructor, and current in all of the above, oh by the way, BASE # 536. Now, do you really think dope is involved in any of the above, I know it's not with me, or do you all really think that the FAA never looks here, how stupid you all must be, especially the ones with FAA "Certificates".

What was this originally about again? Somebody you know smokes pot and packs reserves (not necessarily in that order) and this pisses you off. You wanted feedback on what we thought, we don't all agree with you. Solution: Don't have them pack your reserve again, and accept that everyone has different perspectives that are no worse or better than your own...End of thread.
I don't appreciate being called "stupid" because I don't see the world through your indoctrinated eyes.

I have to tell you that I am probably the most naive person posting in this forum.
I have never and will never smoke pot.
The only strong drug I have ever been on was morphine when I had my knee surgury ... and I was refusing it. It took my mother, a nurse, to convince me to take a shot. I hate the effects of drugs and alcahol that much.
I also hate those who believe that it's thier god given right to do such things when it impairs thier ability to safely execute thier responsibilities.

I'm am writing under the assumption that booze and pot share all the same side effects.
I'm writing from a place where possesion is mearly a misdemenour and legalization could be around the corner (US pressure aside).

That is the perspective I'm writing from because my only experience with the shit has been one sided from those posting in forums and those running for the "Marijuanna Party" (Canadian wacko party).

My perspective is that I don't care what you do, You have freedom to F**k yourself up anyway that you want. If it interfers with you responsibilities, then you should be hung by the short hairs! And I think everyone can agree with. Come on! Disagree with it!!!!!

My point is also that you cannot limit the irresponsibility to just pot use, Drinking and rigging should considered to be akin to drinking and driving.

This forum is one of opinions. And my opinion is if you want to f**k yourself up, go for it. But don't do it while you're responsible for someones life. That goes for anytime you are under ANY influence!!!!!!

Clear?!?

>:(
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Sorry, I've calmed down now.

Drug use and Skydiving and/or rigging is one of my hot buttons. It felt like you were assuming I supported it.
I was just trying to be fair to both sides when I was stating my arguments

Drug use was one of the majors factors in starting my own DZ.

The only reason I care one way or another, is because weed is illegal.
If I know a rigger is taking illegal drugs, he won't rig for me.

So if weed was legalized, they could pack for you again?
Where's the difference in their ability/responsibility then?

Sorry that doesn't make sense to me...

And what if the rigger "didn't inhale"?

(Who said that again? Must be short-term memory loss... Guess it was a president...)

At least thanks to this thread i know my rigger doesn't smoke. Good to know.:)B|

*Keeps stirring*
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I hope you understand that some of these he's are she's.......

That was random. I'm beginning to see the reasoning behind the post. A personal vandetta is a strong motivation.

Andyman used "he" properly in his sentence. You just gave yourself away.

Impressive set of ratings. By the way, BASE is not a Rating but you knew that. I'm pretty sure that "dope" wasn't involved with any of that. In fact any intoxicant you may have embibed had nothing to do with it.

Implying that people who smoke "dope" haven't had similar accomplishments in their lives sounds rather self righteous.

What was this thread about again?

What was this originally about again? Somebody you know smokes pot and packs reserves (not necessarily in that order) and this pisses you off. You wanted feedback on what we thought, we don't all agree with you. Solution: Don't have them pack your reserve again, and accept that everyone has different perspectives that are no worse or better than your own...End of thread.
I don't appreciate being called "stupid" because I don't see the world through your indoctrinated eyes.

Hi Ruffles

Slug here

Sorry someone ruffled your feathers:( But I'd appreciate it I you checked out my post and if I didn't say what you say I said then please correct your mistake.:)
If you don't want to thats ok to.B|

R.I.P.

"By the way, BASE is not a Rating ..."

Back in the days when I flung myself off the occassional bridge, I smoked the occassional fatty. Most of the BASE jumpers I know are chronics and most of them pack neater than me.
Hee!
Hee!
Hee!

Some of them even separate smoking and packing.
Hee!
Hee!
Hee!

I always felt that marijuana did less damage to my body than alcohol. Every "morning after" was a reminder of how much damage alcohol does to the human body. As I got older hangovers started lasting two, then three days. It was hangovers, not stupid laws that forced me to quit drinking.

Drugs laws are lies, all lies!

Back in the days when I flung myself off the occassional bridge, I smoked the occassional fatty. Most of the BASE jumpers I know are chronics and most of them pack neater than me.

Gee, you make it sound like all base jumpers are a bunch of wild and crazy potheads....

Ganja

So if weed was legalized, they could pack for you again?

Sure.

Where's the difference in their ability/responsibility then?

No difference in ability. Responsibility? To me, a big part of my confidence in riggers and pilots are that I know that they follow the rules. In aviation and rigging, pretty much every rule exists because somebody died. When riggers and pilots break rules, people often die.

If a rigger or pilot smokes dope, then thats a good indication to me that they don't respect rules, or think that certain rules don't apply to them.

Pretty much every one else, whether they be cops, or doctors, or even presidents - I don't give a rats ass if they inhale, never mind if they smoke.

I hold pilots and riggers to a higher standard.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Drugs have been and always will be a part of our society. Alchoholic beverages have been around since early man. We as humans, have in us a thing called 'choice'. We can choose whether or not we wish to involve ourselves. We tried to do away with booze, during Prohibition... a big failure. We now have 'The War on Drugs' (joke). As of this time, drugs are out-lawed yet, some 'choose' to partake of them. We have other choices we can make in life, like riggers. There are a lot of them out there. Some drink, some don't. Some enjoy firin'-up a 'fat-boy' some don't. What I'm getting at is, we can pick and choose our riggers. If, we don't wish to use the services of a certain rigger because he wears pink socks... go to someone else. No sense gettin' all balled-up about it. As I've said earlier, I quit drinking and smoking (tobacco, never got into weed). I just 'chose' to do that. It's all about 'choices'.

Chuck
Thanks, for the chance to 'rant'.

Sorry Slug, I clicked on the wrong reply.[:/] It was in reply to the reply of the reply of the guy who originally started this flaming thread. I can no longer "edit post" unfortunately, but I hereby post this formal retraction:
My rant was not in response to Slug in anyway, shape, or form, and any connection between Slug's post and my post is purely coincidental.:P

I hope ya'll understand the importance of this question, we'll see.

Couldn't care less. Some of the best riggers and pilots I have worked with partook. The big difference was that all of them without exception, didn't partake whilst working.

I have, however, seen riggers, pilots, and on one occaision, an AFF instructor, so drunk that they couldn;t walk a straight line during the working day.

Responsibility? To me, a big part of my confidence in riggers and pilots are that I know that they follow the rules. In aviation and rigging, pretty much every rule exists because somebody died. When riggers and pilots break rules, people often die.

If a rigger or pilot smokes dope, then thats a good indication to me that they don't respect rules, or think that certain rules don't apply to them.

it is everyone's moral responsibility to break (and break often) any rule or law they deem unjust. Self determination is a far greater responsibility than blind obedience..

just because it is a law/rule does not mean it is right. Those who obey because "its the law" and not because they "believe it is the correct course of action" are sheep.

just because it is a law/rule does not mean it is right. Those who obey because "its the law" and not because they "believe it is the correct course of action" are sheep.

Exactly!

I expect my rigger to follow directions within an acceptable leeway, even if he feels those directions are unjust.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

The big concern , I have with Riggers packing reserves while STONED is not their accuracy...after all they are now paranoid and fixated....The big problem is it takes them forever to pack!!! THREE HOURS to put a simple parachute in a simple container...my mom could do it in 20min. That is the real reason why....they extended the repack cycle here in Canada...I think.:P
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

it depends on the person. theres alot of riggers i wouldnt let near my rig that dont drink or smoke.

ive used riggers that smoke, no it does not bother me as long as theyre not stoned while working. you wouldnt not use a rigger because he/she drinks beer after hours. why the hell would social marijuana use be any different?
its totaly hypocritical if you ask me.