Zoter

Brakelines in a PRO Pack

hey...
Im just trying to 'dial' in my PRO pack technique
below is a picture of my brakelines after I 'dissected a propack (ie carefully removed out of the bag and the tail lifted up over the cacoon)

Is this a normal position for the brakelines?...i seem to get it here consistantly.....they start in the middle at the start of the packjob but always end up here after I have cacooned and 'squished;' the air out

Anyone got any comments ?

Have you tried wrapping the stabilizers around the lines just before you bring the tail up to wrap around the packjob? Keeps the lines in the center and should help your problem, since the stabilizers appear to end up under the brake lines.

Do you mean wrapping the stabilisers over the top of the brakelines ? so that all the lines are completely enclosed before lifting the tail up?

Exactly, with the steering lines position as in the pic, they are set up to produce a line-over on opening. Also, one of the slider grommets isn't up against the slider stop, that can produce hard openings. It may have moved during the un-packing process, just something to think about.

Derek

Yikes...Ive been jumping that arrangement for at least 10 jumps....
I'll pack the brakes lines under the Stabilisor wraps (with the other lines) from now on.

And yes...the slider dropped a little on unpacking....Im religous about putting it up to the bumpers

My only prob with a pro pack is that I dont like the slow openings.....hate em....I leave the nose open and everything...700-900ft is just too slow for my liking

Anyways Thanks for the comments and advice

Here are some pics if it helps (you or anyone else).
There's probably a better way to take photos while controlling the packjob with one hand.:P
Anyway, I fold both the C-D stabilizers and the B-C stabilizers over the lines. Don't know if that's overkill or not, but my packjob stays neat.

Is this a normal position for the brakelines?...i seem to get it here consistantly.....they start in the middle at the start of the packjob but always end up here after I have cacooned and 'squished;' the air out

It's normal for a skydiving main packjob - rolling the tail causes some migration.

No problem, it's been three days since I last touched my new canopy- I was glad to have an excuse to repack it.:P
One more thing though- when I'm not trying to take pictures and show as clearly as possible what I'm doing with the fabric, I have my hand a few inches higher so my thumb and index fingers are around the lines and pressing the slider grommets against the stops. The stabilizers I hold in place with the other fingers until I pull the center of the tail up and start wrapping.
I don't think overkill can be bad.

Now that does not necessarily make sense. Folding the stabilizers from D to brake over the brake lines should be enough.

Dont forget that there is a line group attached along each span, so folding the B-C back may throw them off their "normal" orientation. As the whole thing should stay closed anyway, that doesn't matter that much, but why do it?

The reason there is a slight chance of a lineover in the way the original photo was taken is that a brake line could slip to the left or right in front of the nose.

The trick is not to stack as much canopy over the break lines as possible, the trick is to keep them in place when pulling up the tail, closing the cocoon, and, most importandly, while laying the cocoon on the floor, as this is where the lines are being moved most. Just prevent them from slipping in front by folding the D->Brake stabs over them and you're fine.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Try folding the tail across the center instead of toward the outside. Start with the inside right line, fold the material to the left across the center. Now fold the right inside line material to the left on top of the inner left. Continue to alternate in this fashion and finish with the stabilizers. It looks different, but it will help keep the brake lines to the inside and I promise that it will not negatively affect your opening. Wish I had pictures:S

-We are the Swoophaters. We have travelled back in time to hate on your swoops.-

Those photos are TAME compared with some of the messy main pack jobs I have opened in the loft. And 99% of them opened.

A trick that I have been using for the last few years is to pinch the steering lines through the center tail seam as I start to wrap the tail around the canopy. I hold that grip while wrapping the tail around, rolling the tail and laying it on the floor. Then I trap the steering lines by putting a knee on either side of the orange warning label when I start to bag the canopy.

A trick that I have been using for the last few years is to pinch the steering lines through the center tail seam as I start to wrap the tail around the canopy. I hold that grip while wrapping the tail around, rolling the tail and laying it on the floor. Then I trap the steering lines by putting a knee on either side of the orange warning label when I start to bag the canopy.

Funny, that’s similar to how I do it. Must be a west coast rigger thing.

Sean
CSPA ratings C1, C2, IA, IB, QE, RA, and EJR

***.i seem to get it here consistantly.....they start in the middle at the start of the packjob but always end up here after I have cacooned and 'squished;' the air out

You might remember to use the least amount of tail when U cacoon the Canopy up. Sometimes if U use to much tail U could pull on some lines and the possibility of a Line over would be much greater.

The glass is half full or half empty doesn't matter. Let go and have the Lord guide your path. He will take care of it all.

Personally I roll the crap out of the tail. I have at probably 1000 packs like that and zero lineovers on a sport rig. I'm totally sure the tail lines migrate to the side when I do it. I tuck the tail lines in between the D lines and the slider which sticks out back. Then put stabilizers to the same place but not so far as to yank 'em around. I find rolling the tail a lot helps control the whole pack job when laying it down.

is that safe to do?
I used to use a rig that had a band on the slider that I wrapped the brakelines in

stoopid me...if you been jumping it guess it works

have you got a picture of that assembly you would like to share?

I've probably done over 500 jumps using this set up with no problems at all. I know other people who use this set up with thousands of pack jobs and no problems. I'll try to take a picture, but it's really simple: just grab all the brake lines and make a bight from below the attachment points and stow them in the rubber band that you attached to an inner brake line. The double wrap is because a single wrap is too loose. My rubber band is attached on the innermost brake line on the left side at the attachment point, but I don't see why you couldn't attach it on the right.