skydonkey

Worth re-lining 1000 jump Sab1?

Well last time I had one done it was around 150.00
to have the factory reline, and they inspect the canopy for airworthy, is it worth it? well how much do you like your canopy? I have a sabre 1 with over 3000 jumps on it and it's on it's 4th line set, still fly's great and pack's REAL easy, opens very soft
no spankers ever! and on heading 99.9%, lands as nice as my newer one with 300 jumps on it.
I will keep it till it blows up.
So is it worth a reline? Or is it worth spending big bucks for a new canopy? Only you can know...
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

A lineset from PD costs about $125-$140 depending on the canopy and type of line. It will cost more if you have them install it.

If you have them do the work, PD will do everything they can to test and prove the airworthyness of the canopy. This can be both good and bad.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I have 3000 jumps on 1 of my canopies. It's gone through a few line kits. Knowing that, I'd say yes, get canopy relined. It's a good parachute.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

A lineset from PD costs about $125-$140 depending on the canopy and type of line. It will cost more if you have them install it.

If you have them do the work, PD will do everything they can to test and prove the airworthyness of the canopy. This can be both good and bad.

I'm having a slow morning - how could this be bad?

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Uh if they say it isn't a good canopy anymore.. which in itself can be seen as good (that they told you) or bad (that they told you) :)

I know plenty of people who sent canopies to PD where they were pull tested and declared un-airworthy. The people were perfectly happy jumping them in the current condition and probably would have gotten a few hundred more jumps on them, but once PD says no it is all over.

I am not saying PD over tests, because I appreciate it, but some feel otherwise.

-OK
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

The people were perfectly happy jumping them in the current condition and probably would have gotten a few hundred more jumps on them, but once PD says no it is all over.

I've heard of PD sending a canopy with 3000 jumps back into the field because it was still in good condition. If PD say "No" there's a reason. I'll believe them over anyones "gut feeling" anytime. Even if it LOOKS ok, doesn't mean it is.

Blue ones,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I don't disagree. I was just answering the question asked.

But some people would rather squeeze the last few hundred jumps out of a canopy and jump it until it blows up.

-OK
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

The cost for a factory relining from PD (lines and installation) is $185, plus a $15 inspection. Worth it in my mind. The turnaround time WAS 2 weeks about a month ago, I'm not sure what it is now. Regardless, just call PD to get official costs.
-Rap

Hey skydonkey!

We have relined a whole bunch of canopies past 1000 jumps... even a few past 2000 jumps, and even a few with some silly amount of jumps on them.

If you do send the canopy to PD, we will inspect it to make sure all panels of the canopy are sound and all seams are in good shape.
If there is anything we don't like the looks of, our rep (normally Robin) will get in touch with you to let you know what we found.
We will let you know in advance how much the repairs will cost and approximately how long they will take, but right now the turnaround for a reline and/or a simple repair is about 2 weeks.
The cost is $15.00 for the inspection and $185.00 for the reline (for microline).
Please contact Robin ([email protected]) to make arrangements for your canopy - if you tell her what size/model/type of line you are sending in, she can pre-order the lines and that helps us to get the canopy back to you quicker :)

I would highly recommend that you inspect your canopy every 100 jumps or so, to monitor for wear and tear.
If you see anything suspicious, contact a rigger or the manufacturer for advice.
Canopies do have a limited lifespan, but with good care and proper maintenance your canopy will likely have quite some life left in it.

And honestly.... I don't think we "overtest" canopies that come to us for maintenance. We inspect them from head to toe, and then make recommendations based on what we find.
But, the canopy belongs to the customer, and the owner makes
the decision weather to repair fully, partially or leave as is.

If we see a canopy that in our opinion is not airworthy in it's current condition, we notify the owner, but it's then up to them to decide what to do.

I hope that helped, please PM me if you have any questions, as I will be on vacation all next week, starting tomorrow :)
Blue ones,
Kolla Kolbeinsdottir
Performance Designs, Inc.
Blue Skies Magazine