PhreeZone

What do you include for "free" in a repack?

I've recently been looking and asking around and I've seen all sorts of replies locally to this question. I've seen people charging for everything from $2 for new cypres loops to a few bucks for installing a cypres into the container, to $10 just to put the main risers back onto the container at the 3 rings.

I personally have always done all those for free, but I was wondering just what everyone else charges for (or includes for free) doing things like this that I consider part of the normal maintence of the rig at a inspection and repack.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

That would probably depend if you do it as a business or as a side line. If you do it for a business, you should charge for anything that costs you and the time is takes you to do anything. If not it won't be a business for long.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

As a non-current rigger who pays other riggers to work on my gear I can tell you what I expect to be included in the price of a repack.

I expect a new Cypres loop if one is needed - IIRC isn't it at least recommended that those be changed each repack? A new main closing loop is a nice touch. I expect to pay extra for anything that isn't a part of a regular repack. Installing or removing a Cypres, changing Cypres batteries, removing/reattaching/repacking a main, etc. - if it takes extra time to do then I think you should get paid for doing it.

That said, if a rigger doesn't want extra for doing work I'd gladly pay for I'm certainly not going to complain and I'll be very likely to use them again in the future.

What do you normally charge for a repack?

As long as the final cost of the repack is around $50, I won't complain.

If the base price is already around $70 and you start nickel and diming me, unless I think you are an absolutely amazing human being and rigger, I'll probably look for someone else to do it.

It depends on the price of the repack

If the price for reserve repack is only about $10, then definitely charge for any additional thing you do.

IF the reserve repack price is reasonable (for me that would be $40 or more), than all that aditional things should be for free (included in the price)...

Just my opinion, though i repack for free, or for $15 most. I just don't have the heart to charge more, because everyone that gives me a rig to repack is my friend. Though it would be fair, comparing to through what hassle i sometimes have to go :S
"George just lucky i guess!"

$45 gets you:

-Inspection & Repack, cutaway cable clean & lube
-New Cypres Loop EVERY repack
-Main Closing Loop, if needed
-I usually get the liquid Tide and scrub brush out and take care dirty cutaway handles and flaps
-New rubber bands on your main bag, if needed
-My business card which lists next repack date and date that cypres batteries/service are due
-I never charge for cypres installation or battery change

Mike

Pretty much what Mike says above.

INCLUDED $40 (I'm to damn cheap)
A.I.R.
including fabric testing and ripcord CW03-01
New cypres loop
New main loop if needed.
Minor retacks
Cypres battery change labor ($75 for battery, CONFESSION, batteries are about $69 delivered so I make a few bucks, but only charge the going rate for the battery, not $90 like I've heard.)
Any AAD removal or installation. I never want any charge of mine to keep someone from jumping a cypres. $10, including shipping one way, if I ship and receive for 4 year maintainance
Cutaway cables cleaned and lubed.
Main reassembled to rig and continuity checked. A brief overview of the main, (links, quick look at lines, bridle attachment, bag, pin attachment, bridle, PC and handle. Main PC pocket. main gromments, (reserve grommets see A.I.R. above).

An occasional rubber band or two on round diapers. If I have to do them all $5.

An occasional rubber band on main bag.

Extras

New safety stow $3, about my cost
$5 or $10 gets a lot of minor repair work out of me.
I don't do it for a living. But, $3 for a cypres loop, or $1 a rubber band, or charge of more than a couple of dollars above battery cost to install seems excessive. Yes the stuff costs time and materials, but I prefer to set a rate I'm happy with to include these things. If I did it for a living I'd probably have to $50 or $55.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I'd be comfortable doing just about anything listed here for free, except for the "scrubbing the cutaway handles" the guy above me listed. But otherwise, loops are always free, as is most of the other stuff.

Usually, I'll do everything I can to get a person's rig back to them "ready to jump". When I started rigging I would always give the rigger a fully packed rig, and get back a repacked reserve with a detached, mixed up main shoved into my other arm. Damn, can't make the first load of the day because I'm fiddling with reconnecting my main. Now, the idea was to make sure I was exercising my three rings, but it was still a hassle.

When I first started rigging I'd detach the main and reattach it when I was done with the repack. BUT, I was too scared to trust the whole "hold down the risers and they won't get mixed up" thing so I'd end up repacking the main (never found anything wrong). But THEN maybe you're not packing the main the way the owner does, and you might be setting them up for a spanker. So now, I just unstow the main lines and open the d-bag and make sure everything is straight up into the cocoon. If it all looks good, close it back up and everything is ready to go for the first load on Saturday.

Elvisio "whew" Rodriguez

As part of a repack i include a new cypres closing loop. If the cypres needs new batteries, i only charge for the cost of the batteries, not for installing them. Same with adding bumpers/slinks, i only charge the cost of the item and install them for free. I do NOT include anything to do with the main as part of a repack. If the customer wants the main inspected and packed, it's gonna cost them $5. I would also charge a $1 for a new closing loop for the main. Thats just me.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

something that really bugged me when I got my gear back from the rigger.

They gave me back the container, with the main completely disconnected and unpacked.

I'd planned on just swinging by and picking up the gear, and heading off to meet a friend at a different DZ. Instead, I had to reconnect my main and spend an hour packing it.

It seems like most of the private riggers return the gear all packed up, while the lofts tend to give it back with the main all unpacked.

Had they told me that the main would be returned disconnected and unpacked, I'd have gladly thrown in a couple of extra bucks to get the darn thing packed up before I got there, so I could just grab it and split.

edit: I think the repack was $60 or $65

Due to the economic level of the area I work in, I charge $35.00 for an Inspection and re-pack of the reserve, harness-container. I'll charge $2.00 for replacing a Cypres loop. I don't normally charge for re-sewing broken stitching on trim-tape on a closing flap, unless it's more than 5-6 broken or missing stitches or in a 'difficult' place to get to. I don't charge for re-connecting a main or for a new main closing loop. I do go through the main canopy (when it is with the 'rig') and inspect it and re-pack it for $15.00. I don't charge for changing batteries or installing Cypres. I charge $50.00 for 'retro fitting' a container for Cypres. Anything I don't charge for, I list on the bill what I did and 'NO CHARGE!'. Canopy patches are priced according to the size of the patch and location on the parachute. Generally, I'll use manufacturer's price-lists when setting costs to the customer. Though, I 'try' to make a living with my rigging, I try to keep customer costs as reasonable as I can. Jumpers do need some money for jumps!

Chuck

I think that charging for new cypres loops is acceptable. I replace them everytime, and while I would like to be able to say, "it's on me", I have to pay for either the premade ones or buy a roll and make them myself, so it is a monetary investment. If I only did 2 or 3 rigs a season, sure I'd say "its on me", but I expect to pack 50 reserves this season, and it can add up. I wouldnt charge anything extra, just what it cost to get them from airtec.

As for everything else, I think an "A to Z" inspection of the rig is appropriate as included in the repack price. I look at it as a chance to be a "Para - Detective", I still get a kick out of just scanning gear for problems. Its a good mental exercise.

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

My rigger charges $45 for repack and $2 for cypress loops. A lot of other local riggers still charge $40, and probably throw stuff in. I usually cajole him into running a few stitches for projects I am doing for nothing, so it all comes out in the wash I guess.

Sometimes I grumble at the 'extra charges', but if I were in his place, I would most likely do the same (or just bump up the repack prices).

j

Rob do you replace the cypres loop as part of that repack or is that an extra?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
My boss insists on charging a couple of bucks for new Cypres loops after she found out how much an intermediate dealer charges for individual loops.

Ergo, I only replace Cypres loops every second or third repack, or when they start to fray.

But do you think she could get around to ordering that spool of Cypres cord that I asked for last September?

I tell my customers that they will get the main back attached and straight but unpacked. I'm not being paid to pack the main and I don't want to be. Everybody has their own preference on how they like it packed.

I almost always have to take the main out to pack the reserve and I prefer to have it off out of the way. But since I took it off I put it on. Some customers used to give me the rig without the main. Two of them hooked it up backwards.

An hour to pack the main?;) Maybe you need the practice.;):)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I know I need the practice.

However, at that particular time, I didn't have the time to practice.

I'm friends with a couple of riggers at Perris, and every time I've seen them give a rig back, it was packed, and they just handed them the rig. I had my rig repacked at a loft, and I didn't know it would be different there. I wish they'd have told me. I'd have at least had some cash on hand to pay a packer, since I had to just pick up my gear and split.

I do practice packing. I make sure to pack at least once, every day I jump. Its just that it takes me so long, I have to choose between doing only two or three jumps, and doing five or six. right now, jumping is more important to me than packing, just because I don't have much free time to be at the DZ.

Easy Kris, I was just kidding.:P

But, the riggers I know that give the main back packed are those that don't have a lot to do,
are new enough to LIKE packing mains, or don't unpack the main to start with. A lot of riggers will cutaway the main, take the bag out, keep things straight, hook the main back up with out taking it out of the bag and close the rig. I've never thought it was worth the risk of putting it on wrong, even though there is a slim chance. Opening the main also gives me a chance to give it a look. I DON'T agree with not hooking it back up. But there are some riggers who don't want the main delivered with the rig.[:/]

Oh well, have fun. Turns out that my girl friend (400 jumps) and I might be out to Perris for the first time around July fourth. We'll have to check in with the dz.com'ers.

Later
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

$35 for
Reserve Inspection
Container Inspection
New Reserve Closing Loop (Every repack)
New Main Closing Loop (Every repack)
3-ring maintenance
Cutway cable clean and lube
Container Returned Ready to Jump
Packing card marked with a sticker that has due dates for the cypress and the next repack.

Main I&R $15
Container wash $20
Others - cost depends on what it is and if we had to order something special for the fix. Derek builds a ton of stuff (need a better mouse trap?) so we have a lot of materials in stock, so usually anywhere from $5-$10 bucks for labor.
Fly it like you stole it!

Everything is free.

New loops, standard A.I.R.

I charge $40 to close and seal the container and fill out the data card.;)

It's an extra $5 for a main repack. I know enough jumpers/ scenarios where their first jump after reserve re-pack was a cutaway and they wanted a free reserve pack job because the rigger 'packed a malfunction'. But I will make sure your main hooked up w/ a complete continuity check.:)
Sewing/ repairs or washing the container is an extra cost at the standard rate.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Looks like we're about average - $45, including new Cypres loop (every repack,) new main closing loop (every repack unless it's pristine,) 3-ring maint. and cable clean/lube, inspect main risers, d-bag and PC, pH and tensile test if applicable, band replacement on diaper or in container when applicable. We do charge $3 for a new safety stow if needed - material + time. We also charge extra for a Racer quick loop replacement, due to the shop-hour time involved.

Cypres battery or Slink installation free when you buy them from us. We don't charge to uninstall or reinstall an AAD if we're sending it in for service.

We're full service & fairly busy so it's simply less paperwork & bookwork to factor the overall price of Cypres loop spools, washers, silicon, paper towels, Type IIA, a retail markup on batts, shipping costs etc. etc into the basic repack & Cypres maintenance.

For a full main inspection we charge $20 which includes 100% insp of the canopy, tensile tests, minor re-stitching/maintenance, and a full line trim check with recorded results.

It puzzles me that a loft would be more likely to return a main disconnected and unpacked than an individual rigger. Like Rob & Terry, we are not main packers ... but we have an excellent packing staff to hand the rig off to for that. These are the same packers most of our customers use anyway. Sorry for your experience, Nightingale. Sounds like they should have been more clear when you dropped off your rig.
Alpha Mike Foxtrot,
JHL