Zeemax

sabre 2 spanking!

After about 60 odd jumps on my Sabre 2, loaded a little over 1:1, yesterday it spanked me hard.

The kind of spanking where you just yell fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck! then fly back down knowing you'r getting a bruise on yer thighs.

It hadn't packed it any differntly than i normally do (which is the PD recommend pro pack). Admidetly it looked a 'little' sloppy as it went in the bag, but i've certainly packed worse.

Anyone got any ideas as to why it my have spanked me like that?
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I would guess that it was your slider (of course I'm only guessing here). It's easy to miss a slider packing error if you don't ensure that it's all the way to the line attachment points. My worst ever opening to date was on a Sabre2 170. But before I start blaming the canopy, I'm guessing that it was a slider packing error. I've yet to get slammed on anything near as bad as that opening and I can only assume that this is because I am more conscious of where my slider is when packing now.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

because it's a sabre ?B|

i guess some people like being spanked since they keep going for sabres ;) j/k,
sabre is a good canopy .. but i love my crossfire more B|

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

because it's a sabre ?B|

i guess some people like being spanked since they keep going for sabres ;) j/k,
sabre is a good canopy .. but i love my crossfire more B|

He is talking about a Sabre2 not a Sabre.
Sabre2 are not known for hard openings.

I'd have to go for the slider explanation myself.

I have never been spanked by mine and I dont do anything at all to slow the opening. I leave the nose hanging, I dont pull the slider way out, etc.
__

My mighty steed

i know, that's why i put some smiles in my messages. but even sabre-2s have sometimes spanking problem. as we can see by this post. i don't anything special packing. never had hard opening in 669 jumps. i jumped pd 9 cell, sabre (original :)), safire2, crossfire2. maybe i'm less sensitive about openings, i like fast openings actually.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

hey Zeemax, you didn't like the spanking too much apparently... I would say like the others, maybe the slider. What happened to me twice on my safire2... I think I didn't open it completely (uncollapsed OK), didnt't pull the front side of the slider trough the nose. Now I check it really good and my openings are pure snivellers.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

If it's only been the one opening I'd say it's nothing to worry about. Even the best opening canopy will get ya' once and a while. Parachute openings are random events.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Yea Mon. I've been slammed 3 times in about 470 something jumps on Sabre 2's. One bad enough to envoke colorful language. The other two were very firm; enough to watch the canopy shudder as it fully pressurized (much like a BASE opening). It's just the way it goes sometimes I guess. That's skydiving for ya...weird unexpected things will happen.

Never Give up! Never Surrender!

Zeemax,

I've had the same issue on my Sabre2 150 and you know what?
I am almost sure it was the slider.
I found the slider wants to collapse when you pack it, the little ropes come back out and the slider is not fully open.
There was probably more to it than that, but that is pretty much what I found. I started paying attention to it when I pack it and I haven't had any hard openings since...

Iwan

"Slider rebound"

This happens because the slider is not all the way up against the slider stops when the folded canopy is put in the bag, when deployment begins, the slider (inflating with air like it's supposed to), first travels up toward the canopy. It then rebounds off the slider stops, causing the slider to come down too soon and too fast, before the jumper's body has had a chance to decelerate. Thus the spanking.

I have had one hard opening with mine in 115 jumps - I'm quite certain it was slider rebound.
Arrive Safely

John

"Slider rebound"
I have had one hard opening with mine in 115 jumps - I'm quite certain it was slider rebound.

That is very possible too... Since that one hard opening I've been making sure the slider is fully open and all thw way up. Haven't had a problem since.

Iwan

no its not a saber its a saber 2. they are completly different canopys. they are also NOT known to open hard. ive heard nothing but gtreat things about saber 2's and enjoyed the few jumps ive done on them. so sorry to call you out, but you dont know what your talking about.

I jumped a sabre2 170 (loaded right at 1:1) for 7 jumps this weekend, more than that in the past and I swear I was begging for faster openings... I was pulling at 4 and consistently not in the saddle till 2500 feet, thought about chopping it a couple of times.

Never go to a DZ strip show.

no its not a saber its a saber 2. they are completly different canopys. they are also NOT known to open hard. ive heard nothing but gtreat things about saber 2's and enjoyed the few jumps ive done on them. so sorry to call you out, but you dont know what your talking about.

read my post about my smiles. and i had about 150-180 jumps on sabres, so i kinda do know what i'm talking about. for the record - never had a hard opening on first sabre.

stan.

--
Speed Skydiving Forum

I tore my pectoral muscle on a Sabre 2 opening last fall. I've never figured out what caused it, but I'm sure a packing error wouldn't be out of the question.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I would guess that it was your slider (of course I'm only guessing here).

That would be my guess too. We had Brian Germain out at our DZ a few weeks ago to do a canopy seminar. Part of the course was showing us his methods of packing. He emphasized that the most important thing for a nice soft opening, is the slider positioning - making sure it is all the way up, and does not get shifted during the rest of your pack job.

After about 60 odd jumps on my Sabre 2, loaded a little over 1:1, yesterday it spanked me hard.

My Sabre2 was fast inflating with little snivel, and then it slammed me real hard one afternoon. I talked with PD about it, and they made another slider that was 3-inches longer in the chord dimension, trading me for the stock slider. That little bit of extra material turned it into a predictable sniveler, almost like a Spectre.

cheers for the replies people.

From what i'm seeing it sounds like the slider could have been the problem. Like i said, it looked a little sloppy going in the bag, so maybe the slider had just moved.

i'll pack neater from now on :D
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

i dont think this had been mentioned but dont rule out the possibility of opening in the tail end of your track off without decelerating enough before you tossed out. i did this for the first time in eloy a few weeks ago. my audible crapped out and we broke off aroung 4300, not too low but lower than i normaly breakoff in a 3 way. anyway felt a little rushed to throw out after an approprate track time and SLAMMO! didnt full decel before i dumped.

i know, that's why i put some smiles in my messages. but even sabre-2s have sometimes spanking problem. as we can see by this post. i don't anything special packing. never had hard opening in 669 jumps. i jumped pd 9 cell, sabre (original :)), safire2, crossfire2. maybe i'm less sensitive about openings, i like fast openings actually.

I've even had reports of Crossfires dishing out some spankings. Any canopy can open hard. Even those with a reputation for SOFT openings.

I agree, mind your slider.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I'll assume this wasn't the cause of your spanking, but I'm always amazed at how loose some people's legstraps are. I've had mine almost painfully tight ever since loose legstraps + canopy packed for static line opening (not by me) left me with badly bruised legs/groin and inability to walk for 3 days (though I did mange the 160 mile drive home!).

Me no like loose legstraps.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"