adamsr

Best Fullface for large heads!

I'm looking to buy a fullface helmet pretty soon and want opinions from big headded people on helmet fit!

My head circumference is 61cm and i have trouble getting helmets to fit, the Z1 is too small, tried the XXL and it doesn't fit properly!

So i need opinions on the oxygen, freezr, havok or others from people with big heads.

I have an XXL Factory Diver that works great. I don't know the metric circumference of my head, but I think my fitted hat size is 7 7/8. I've heard that the XXL Factory Diver is about the largest full face out there. The only drawback is that it's not a flip-up visor.

I have an Oxygen, and I really like it. I have a big head;). I tried a few other helmets but they were uncomfortably tight on my ears and my cheeks. Ask around your dropzone to see who has some big lids and just try a couple of them, thats what i did.

61cm is a pretty big melon. Not surprised that an XXL Z1 won't fit; all the Z1's run smaller than equivalent "letter size" US built helmets. You might fit into an XL.5 Oxygn (XL.5 is the biggest Oxygn they make), but I'd try one on before buying one.

I've heard that the Havok will fit larger heads; hopefully someone from Bonehead will pipe in here and can tell us just how big they'll fit.

If all else fails, contact a SkySystems dealer and ask about having a Factory Diver built specifically for your head. It's not something that they advertise but they've covered some pretty big heads that way.

I have the same problem (and the same head circumference). Z1 is too small, as you noticed yourself. The Oxygen XL is too small for me, the XL 0.5 is just OK for me.
Presently, I'm considering the Paratec Freezr. This is really a large helmet with lot's of room and it seems good quality. Unfortunately the dealer didn't have the padding in my size, so I couldn't get a perfect fit. You can mix and match paddings from different sizes to adapt the helmet to your particular shape of head. I want to make a testjump with it though before buying, to see if it moves around in freefall. It's also somewhat cheaper than the Oxygen (at least here in Europe).
I like the closing system from the Oxygen better, it draws the helmet nice and tight around your head, whereas the fit from the Freezr comes from the padding. The closing strap is for 'loss prevention' only, it doesn't pull tight against the chin.
Bart

If all else fails, contact a SkySystems dealer and ask about having a Factory Diver built specifically for your head. It's not something that they advertise but they've covered some pretty big heads that way.

ding ding ding!! A guy at our dz just got a factory diver made to fit his huge melon. It was special order but NOTHING else would fit him. He loved it when he got to jump it last weekend.B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Any idea how much it cost for the custom factory diver?

Also i'd prefer a helmet with a flip up visor, so the factory diver wouldn't be my first choice, don't spose they do the custom service for the oxygen.

i own a gecko open face helmet at the mo, and their biggest size fits, but isn't really comfy coz the foam liner is really thin. Just gotta find a helmet with a big shell size!

Thanks for all the info, looks like the skysystems helmets are a pretty good option

Still interested to hear from someone who has tried the Paratec FreeZR though, there's absolutrely no info on the net about this helmet anywhere!!

I have a similar situation, my head measures 24 inches (61cm). I tried the Oxygen XL 0.5 and it was too small. My dealer talked to skysystems, they said that they had special molds to make oversized Factory Divers. They currently do NOT have oversized molds for the Oxygen, however they said this was coming in a "couple of months" . My plan is to use a Protec for now and get an Oxygen that fits in a "couple of months".

Thanks for all the info, looks like the skysystems helmets are a pretty good option

Still interested to hear from someone who has tried the Paratec FreeZR though, there's absolutrely no info on the net about this helmet anywhere!!

There was a post about this on these forums by another guy from my dz( you know what they say about tx):S I know someone linked a website that had some info on the paratec. Oh hell, HERE it is.B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

There was a post about this on these forums by another guy from my dz( you know what they say about tx):S I know someone linked a website that had some info on the paratec. Oh hell, HERE it is.B|

Yeah i've read that post before and generally people seem to like the helmet, the page on Paratec's website no longer has the info though, and there's no trace of it in their products section. I know it's available though coz http://www.thomas-sports.com sell them.

However i can't seem to find any kind of sizing chart or technical info anywhere!

I wear about a 7 5/8 fitted hat and there isn't a Z1 out there than can fit me. I've had the best luck with the old Carbon Fire Oxygen, as well as the new Oxygen's. Also, the Havok was an easy fit, even with sunglasses on. I've found it easier and more comfortable to go with an open face over time, but would go back to a full face if I was doing 4way.

I know before the Havok came out I was told to look at the military helmets that BoneHead makes.

Send a PM to slotperfect. That dude has a great big melon and has a Factory Diver that fits good.

Yup . . . it matches your ego! ;)

John,
That was a little on the mean side :ph34r: but that is why the good lord made my shoulders so broad (to bear that burden). I did not have time to qualify my statement by adding "filled with more rigger knowledge than should be allowed"

See you soon!!

Tim T.
Team Paraclete

I have a pretty large head (23 3/4") for a woman. I have an XL Factory Diver that has worked well for me. I freefly in it most of the time.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Damn Skymama, thats a big head for anyone, not just for a woman. You sure about that number cuz my head appears to be smaller than yours but would not fit into your helmet. Sure you dont mean 22 3/4?

I have a 23 1/2 inch head and I wear glasses.

I just got a FreeZR to demo in the mail yesterday.
My preliminary (pre-jump) opinion is that this helmet rocks. I can make a direct comparison to the only other big melon helmet out there (Havok) since I had one of those.

The FreeZR is a far nicer looking, more stylish, much bigger view area (you can barely see the helmet in peripheral view), sturdier, much more comfortable, and a LOT more padding so I feel this is a very safe helmet.
Incidentally, I wore it around the house for 20 minutes with the face closed and it didnt fog up whether I was breathing through my nose or my mouth.

As I say, I have not yet jumped with this puppy since it just arrived yesterday afternoon, but I think I have a winner and it most likely will be remaining in my custody B|

BTW, it will go even larger than my head by changing the liner. I am wearing it as a "Large" but it goes to "Extra Large" advertised up to 24 3/8. Now THATS a big freakin head.

For those of you with a large jaw, no prblem. This baby will work for ya.
__

My mighty steed

This question was covered last month on another thread.
I vote for Bonehead's Havok.
Got mine as a Christmas present and love it.
Larry - at Bonehead - said that I had the second largest jaw he had ever seen when he fitted me for my camera helmet. My jaw only fits inside one or two other full-face helmets.
Doning my Havok is a breeze, even while wearing glasses!

Damn Skymama, thats a big head for anyone, not just for a woman. You sure about that number cuz my head appears to be smaller than yours but would not fit into your helmet. Sure you dont mean 22 3/4?

LOL...yep, I'm sure. It's a family trait. My ex-husband is 6'2" and I always had to make his ball caps larger if I wanted to wear them.

I'm pointing my finger at you if I get banned for hijacking the thread. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon