KP2403

Hi! AFF or Tandem for the 1st Time??

Hello All~ As crazy as this may sound, I have yet to make my first jump, but I already feel like I am going to be addicted to the sport. There is something about flying through the sky that is absolutely fascinating to me.

I plan do my first jump next month so I am soaking in as much information as I can....I'll be heading to the Skydive Dallas DZ.

I can't decide if I want to do a tandem or AFF jump on my first.

I was wondering what you all thought? From what I have read so far it seems like a lot of people go into sensory overload the first time and don't remember much. I know there would be two instructors with me, but I am wondering if I have a chance of remembering more if I go tandem...

Well I look forward to chatting with all of you.

KP

You should start with a tandem so you can enjoy your first free fall. It's great and you are going to love every minute of it.B| Just make sure you can afford to do at least 2 jumps on the same day. I just started AFF and can't afford to go back until May 7th and 8th and even then I can only do 2 jumps. [:/] You know I can't think of a better way to spend my hard earned money then jumping out of a plane.

:DB|;)
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

I highly suggest you do a tandem first. After that, your DZ might offer a tandem progression, where you do a couple more tandems that are working tandems, then you drop into the AFF program further along. You'll probably save some money and you'll learn more faster that way.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If you want to learn how to skydive.. Go with AFF....:)
I tend to think that you build a lot of confidence during the AFF class and by better understanding the equipment and the jump, you get rid of some of the fear..

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

Personally, I would say Tandem as well. It is really nice having the tandem master there the first time under canopy. Talk to the tandem master and have them let you know all the stuff that they are doing with the canopy. The landing can be pretty wierd the first time and I thought having the experience with the tandem was invaluable to making my first landing.

Jim

My first jump was an AFF Level I in Perris, CA, and it was fantastic! I can see the value in tandem the first time, but I would recommend AFF if you think you want to pursue the sport of skydiving. I didn't know if I wanted to before jumping, but I know I do now.

B

I was away from the sport for 20 years plus until Saturday. In those days the static line and military t10 canopies were how you learned. To be honest, I tried for quite a while but finally gave up. I always followed the sport but never seemed to make it to the DZ. The tandem I made on saturday could not have been better-I think it depends on YOUR mind set. I am an experinced airplane pilot and have handled emergencies and always been able to get focused on the task at hand. If you look at the situation just from a safety standpoint-tandems are about as safe as you can get. Personally the jump went fine-I had no sensory overload and was able to perform the tasks discussed prior to the jump. Circle of Awareness type drill,dummy ripcord pulls,turns left and right and altitude awareness. The freefall portion was fantastic-to be honest even with a commercial pilot license--I'm glad I had someone helping me with the canopy. To be honest I welcome the tandem and will do more prior to an AFF type instructor assisted jump. I am in NO hurry to bust my ass or get killed. I wasted 20 years- afew more tandem jumps aren't going to hurt a thing. I'm just sick about all the fun I've missed over the years. Just my 2 cents for what its worth.
Freedom isn't free. Don't forget: Mother Earth is waiting for you--there is a debt you have to pay...... POPS #9329 Commercial Pilot,Instrument MEL

Hey there, I just did my AFF I this saturday. Cannot, stop, thinking about it:)
I thought about Tandem, but made the decision right away that I was going to get into this sport, not experience it.

Personally I was very ready to jump, I remember quite alot from my FF, altho it was the fastest 40 seconds of my life. The only thing is you spend most of your FF doing routines and adjusting body position etc, and cannot really enjoy the fall. I was expecting this, I'm really doing AFF to get into skydiving more than to have a good time, but it is really hard not too;)

I love how AFF gets you right on your way to becomming a regular jumper. I cannot speak to a tandem experience however, I would do AFF over again as my 1st jump in a heartbeat.

GL with whatever you choose.

I think you should definately do a tandem first. Theres a lot to think about and concentrate on during AFF1 and with a tandem you just lay there and take it all in, no worries.

One of my friends did her first tandem on the weekend, and hated it. I feel bad for encouraging her to do it, but her ears hurt the whole way down, in her video she is scared shitless and shaking her head the whole way, yelling "no" over and over. :S So, in light of her experience, do a tandem first, its more relaxing, and will at least give you an idea of what freefall is really like.

Lastly, good luck with your first jump, whatever you choose!
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

Nael brings up a good point-some people ARE scared shitless BECAUSE of the freefall. Canopy control is also a factor. Sure, alot of people trained via AFF, and now having taken a tandem ride, I am convinced I would have been OK on AFF. You have to follow your heart on this one,but one novice to another IMHO Tandem gives you a whole lot of options if shit doesn't quite go right "in your head" when you get into that enviroment. I don't know-maybe its just a function of getting older but I really look at ALL my options these days before doing anything. One thing for sure-I still can't wipe the smile off my face.Blue Skies to all.
Freedom isn't free. Don't forget: Mother Earth is waiting for you--there is a debt you have to pay...... POPS #9329 Commercial Pilot,Instrument MEL

First of all, welcome to the forums.

Second of all, I noticed that Skydive Dallas offers a tandem progression. I think that this is a great way to go, mainly because there is so much going on during your first skydive that it is hard to remember everything.

Just to qualify, I did AFF progression and have never done a tandem. While it worked for me, I truly feel it was because I grew up around small aircraft with open windows, cockpits and doors. That stuff is unnerving for someone who has never been around it. It also depends on how well you control your fears. . .the truth is you never know till you jump out. With a tandem you don't have to worry about freaking out or being out of control so much. With AFF level 1 you do.

Either way you will have a great experience. Research both methods and see what works for you!
FGF #6
Darcy

I agree with everyone. I did a tandem to start out with and almost passed out in freefall cause i couldn't catch my breathe. I was so feaked out about it. I knew that i had to over come it and did my other 2 perfect and my first student jump was flawless except the landing. (runways are not good) anyways a tandem is a great way to just relax and enjoy it and take it all in.

I'm glad I did a tandem first. I was overloaded for the first 10 seconds. Screamed "Oh my God!". Then I settled out and had a marvelous experience. I laughed hysterically most of the way down. Did great at turns and assisting ripcord pull. Stand-up landing. I think the tandem helped me get a better understanding of the landing flare and the initial exit. I'm in a S/L progression now. Get off the line after one more. I've had 2 weeks off from jumping and can't wait to get back.

By no means have I conquered fear, but I have knocked the crap out of it.

Welcome to the forum. Skydive Dallas is a great place to skydive and the instuctors are top notch.

If you are the type of person that handles stress well, an AFF jump may be for you. However, if you are like most of us (me included), tandem progression is a wonderful way to begin. Tandem progression allows you to learn with a great deal less stress than an initial AFF.

Sensory overload is common on your first skydive. Eventually, you will remember most of your skydive, it just may take you a little while to assimilate everything.

Good luck and keep us posted on when you plan to skydive. I sometimes show up at SDD as it is the closest turbine DZ to my house.

KP:
Skydive Dallas is a great choice. Good people, good place to learn.

As an AFF instructor some students do better their first few skydives if they have done a tandem first. If you have the budget - do a tandem first. It will take less bucks than a FJC and Category A jump (at most places), less time and you can enjoy it all. Then if you want to go on to AFF, great, less anxiety since you know what to expect.
ALSO - find out if they have tandem progression. If you tell them you want to do AFF, but using a tandem to "check it out" first, they may be able to offer that.
Good luck and keep us posted as to what you do and how you liked it!

I asked the same question in the training area and compiled several different things that members here told me on why you should do tandem first. It was easy for me to decides, especially since the two tandems I did go towards my license. Here are the things to think of as well as other comments from other jumpers:

"Sensory overload is common with first jumps";

"I can see where it would have been MUCH less stressful for me to have done a tandem first";

"students coming off of the tandem progession seem to learn faster, do better and complete AFF with less jumps (less repeats, etc)";

"you'll be acclaimated to free fall (big advantage) and you'll get to steer the parachute while in direct communication with the TM";

"Students learn more faster about canopy control that way".

"The tandem rigs have a ripcord that the student can pull. Also the parachutes are set up with dual steering controls. The one thing that you want to know is that you are harnessed together prior to leaving the plane, but there is no reason that you are completely at the mercy of the tandem instructor. You should be an active, learning participant in the skydive, (as much as you want to be).

Our dropzone requires two tandems also. We used to offer all options for first jump courses, but it quickly became apparent that tandem was the quickest, safest, and most effective way to introduce someone to the sport. It is an integral part of our training for many reasons.

It makes the first solo jump course much more effective, because you are able to truly understand the material that the instructor is explaining after you have made a tandem. Not just by imagining it, but because you experienced it. The advantages of the canopy control learning on tandems are obvious. This allows you a comfort level under canopy that frees your mind to concentrate on the freefall learning objectives more readily."

Thanks again to everyone that provided this awesome feedback.

I think I am going to go for a tandem on my first jump....

My reasons include:

- I now know I can be an active participant in my jump. I thought that I would basically be along for the ride without the ability to do anything....

- I am honestly not sure how I would handle the stress of knowing there are manuevers that I would be practicing in the air and handling the landing myself..... Thinking about the possible stresses is stressing me out :)
- I seriously doubt that I am one of the special ones that will not experience sensory overload....

- I did some checking and I can apply my Tandem jumps to the AFF program if I decide to pursue it.... I will be spending a bit more money by going this route, but maybe it will save me some later down the road in retakes :)
I will be sure to keep you updated and let you know how it went....

KP

I will be spending a bit more money by going this route,

Are you sure? I could have sworn SD Dallas' setup was like ours, ended up saving you some money by going the tandem ISP route.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

in the past 8 years of taking tandems i have seen so many different reactions from passing out to freaking out on peoples first jump so i think tandems is the only way you can be safe and see how you as an individual will react to the experience after knowing that then pick a training method;)