akarunway

Scotchguarding a rig

A friend of mine just received his brand new Mirage. He was advised by two supposed knowledgeable people in the skydiving industry to Scotchguard it. He followed direction. The rig WAS bright red and yellow and now is is discolored as FxxK . Any other horror stories and/or solutions? He is one unhappy camper right now >:(
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Did he follow the directions on the can or the directions of a rigger?

My Mirage is bright purple with white trim and mine didn't bleed when I Scotchguarded it. You have to use light coats! One light coat, let dry for several hours, then one more light coat.

Have him soak the rig in a tub with water and Woolite for an hour or so. Nylon doesn't take to dying very well so the bleeding should hopefully come right out.

You might want to also check with Mirage in the morning to see what they say.

Edited to add: Don't hold the can close to the rig when spraying either....18" away should be just fine.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Yep, light coats!! I have a rig with some tie-dye on it (blue and green on white). I didn't have any problems with it. Gotta stay with the light coats.

A sidenote, I think scotchguarding is well worth it. I cut my finger packing and didn't notice and bled all over my rig, some pretty bad spots. Then I forgot about it for a day. Still, I got a damp cloth and wiped out all the blood like it was nothing.

Blues,
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

LIGHT COATS!! I have done this to all of my rigs over the years and have had nothing but great luck..... Now my rig has tye dye and it turned out fantastic... I'm not saying he did it wrong but in my experience you have to do a couple of light coats and it is good to do the drying in a well ventalated room for many hours. I will do a coat, let it go overnight then do another coat.

Sorry to hear he is not happy..... Have him post some pics..

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I got a damp cloth and wiped out all the blood like it was nothing.

Same with the grease that was on a white flap of my rig - easy to clean it off.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

He followed the directions on the can AND a rigger helped him. I told him to call Mirage but he's so upset he doesn't wanna trust ANYONE right now

Wonder if it was the bright red color. Did it darken it or do something else screwy?

I have a total tie dye rig that's blue/black, blue/white and purple/white mixed on various parts of the rig. I used a couple light coats of scotchguard and had no problems with it.

Just told me he put it on heavy on the first coat. Gotta figure the BEST way to WASH it now.. Says it's mainly a residue that won't come off

"Just told me he put it on heavy on the first coat. Gotta figure the BEST way to WASH it now."

I guess if your friend had searched this forum first, or even read the instructions on the can, he wouldn't be in this situation.:S

Good luck on trying to get the stuff off again, should be interesting.[:/]
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

OK. Mirage says what he (Kris) said. And use a toothbrush or non.abrasive nylon brush. We'll see how it turns out. I'll try to get him to take before and after pics. Thanks for the input