poohbeer

What to do?

Yep, decided, I realy want to jump out of a plane and freefall.
But I admit, when I see those pictures of people hanging out the door ready to jump.. it kinda scares me. :$
So now the question, do I "waste" 200 euros on a tandemjump or act tough and do AFF at once?
Is the reassurance from a tandem often needed or does AFF look spookier from te ground then when up there?

First post also so Hi all! ;)

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

yep it scares me as well and i've been in the sport
fifteen years :)my personal recommendation try a tandem and see
how you feel
you can always take it from there

oh and welcome to the forum :)

Fear is that little darkroom where negatives are developed.
Michael Pritchard.

Welcome to the forums! :)
I started out with 3 tandems which turned into the IAF program. I never intended on becoming a skydiver, I just wanted to see what it was like! There is so much sensory overlaod on your first jump, I think it's better just to do a tandem and hang out and enjoy the ride. And if you're like most people, even after you do a tandem, AFF might still look a little spooky! But, once you experience the thrill it's well worth it to push through the fear on those first few jumps.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Wow I beat Skymama
That's a first

Lol, I didn't know that was something to aspire to! :P

What can I say, it's Monday morning and I'm not finished with my coffee yet so I'm a little slow. But, you don't get any beer, lots of people have "beat" me before. :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

So now the question, do I "waste" 200 euros on a tandemjump or act tough and do AFF at once?

I vote tandem. Jumping out of an airplane is never a waste of money. Then do AFF. And S/L too, if you can! There is nothing more scary and fun than hanging off the 182 strut on your first solo. Waste of money!? I don't think so. Get used to spending it on skydiving, you're going to be with us for a long,long time!

I agree with skymama....do a tandem. Your adrenaline will pumping sooo hard and you can lay back and enjoy the ride.
Philip
P.S. get video!

mmm, still leaning towards AFF but that's only for summer zo I'll probably end up^doing a tandem before that.. if those bloody dropzones ever respond to my emails and phonecalls that is :(

Get the video.. wasn't planning on doing that.Is it worth iot? like €50 for a 2 minute video?!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Get the video.. wasn't planning on doing that.Is it worth iot? like €50 for a 2 minute video?!

Bear in mind that I do not shoot video and have never made any money from a video, I encourage everyone to get video of their first jump.

Forget about the cost, it is immaterial, the main thing to remember is there will only ever be one first jump. If you never make another jump, you will always have video of that one. If you do continue jumping, you will have the video to go back to so you can both remember and perhaps laugh at yourself.

My wife and I went straight to AFF and both got video. I can't tell you the number of times those tapes have been played.

If you jump, no matter what fashion, get the dang thing on video!

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

How are pilots trained? Gradual training with flight time with an instructor in the plane, right? That's like a tandem jump. AFF is sort of like taking a pilot-to-be, talking to him for 8 hours then telling him "we'll be on the radio, have a good flight, bye."

Moral of the story, go do a Tandem, it'll help you out in a lot of ways when you continue with your training.B|

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hello and welcome aboard!

I would suggest a tandem skydive first. I suggest this because it is all about enjoyment. The initial tandem training is brief, but covers the essentials for a safe skydive. If you choose to go directly to AFF, most likely you will spend the greater part of the day in class learning about skydiving and your particular jump. At the end of your session and weather permitting, you will do your skydive with 2 instructors. Typically you will finish your FJC in the afternoon and depending on your dropzone the winds may have picked up and be too strong for student jumpers. Additionally, many first time jumpers will succumb to sensory overload and my not have a good experience. I personally went directly to AFF without doing a tandem. A lot of stuff was going on during the skydive and freefall. Don't get me wrong because I had a blast. It was just a new experience going 120 and it took a several seconds before my mind got rolling. There is less to think about when you are doing a tandem and you will probably have a better time during the freefall. Hope this helps.

Shark
AFF-I

I too did a tandem last summer just to see what it was like. I ended up doing 2 more in the fall. I just signed up for AFF and am starting early April. I'm scared, nervous, and excited to start. But, I was happy that I did a few tandems first to see what it was like. I think, for me anyway, that jumping into AFF would have been sensory overload. I'll just have to see if those tandems helped any in a few weeks.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My wife & I did 3 tandems first then onto AFP. We did our level 2 & 3 jumps yesterday & our first release dive . I can honestly say I don't think either of us jumping today if we didn't have those three tandem jumps and knowing exactly what we were in for. Now we are learning & improving our skills with every new jump, and the best part is it gets better every time we do it!!!! It's all we seem to think about, so I advise you to take the jump no matter how you decide to do it you will never regret it. I also recommend getting the video my wife had a second one done yesterday to improve her exit & diveflow and it's just as awesome as her tandem video. Welcome :)
Blue skies

Scott & Teri

My suggestion is GO BIG, do AFF. I used to manifest and answer the phones at my home DZ and people always asked if they should go tandem or do AFF. My question back to them was what was their motivation to skydive? Do you want to pursue skydiving as a hobby or just get thrown out of a perfectly good airplane? I personally knew skydiving was for me before I even experienced it and looked forward to being scared to the Bejesus on my first jump. But some people think I am a little insane in the membrane so you may not want to take my advice.

Doing a tandem will give you a small glimpse of our world but AFF will open your blinders to a way bigger picture of what skydiving is all about. How badly do you want to be scared to the Bejesus? I think anyone who is determined and focused can skydive. I said screw the tandem I want the whole experience and I want it now, with video, the whole 9 yards. But that is just the kind of woman I am. I went into AFF with a purpose. Got through it in 7 jumps, pursued the sport fiercely until I got my AFF rating and now I get to take other people skydiving and watch them get scared to the Bejesus and it is just as much fun. Yes I love what I do. B|

The point I am trying to make is that you are only limited by your own limitations. It is always important to know what your limitations are but my advice would be to GO BIG.;)

Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

By the way, my closest girlfriend who now is a video hotshot with 3 times the amount of jumps as I have was one of the customers who called our DZ asking the same advice as you are. I told her the same thing I told you. She said if she hadn't talked to me, she would have just come in, done a tandem, gone home, blah blah blah. Now she thanks me for taking the time to convince her of how fun AFF is. She is now a professional videographer at our DZ and I also made a dear friend. You will never meet a more fun and interesting group of people as skydivers. This sport has changed my life in ways I cannot even comprehend. Good luck on whatever path you choose and Blue skies!
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

Hi PB and welcome! I recommend that if you KNOW you want to be a skydiver that you jump right into AFF training (no pun intended).

Our sport is one incredible experience after another, but it can get expensive. Save the potential extra cost of a first tandem and put it toward another AFF jump.

Because skydiving is rather weather-dependent, it can get time intensive as well. Use the time you would spend on a first tandem on making another AFF jump on your first day! B|

Arrive Safely

John

I see you are based in Belgium. Which DZs have you contacted? I jump in Spa (and occassionally Namur) and will be in Spa on Staurday - weather permitting. Come see us! You don't need to book a tandem at this time of the year, just turn up.

I did a tandem first and then AFF. A tandem is not a waste, as you can just sit back and enjoy the ride and see if it is for you. Also I found I was much more aware of what was going on during my first AFF jump, as it wasn't the first time my brain had had to cope with the sensory overload of freefall.

Hope to see you jumping soon.

GRMBL, just when I had made up my mind about doing the tazndem first you and slotperfect come up and ruin it al ;)
Poll says 14 to 13 in favor of AFF.
Ghehe, guess I have some deciding to make.

JoHawley: I contacted them all I guess. Malle (closest to me) has no plane at the moment. Hoevene simply doens't respond to my email and phonecall for almost 2 weeks now.
Paraclub vlaanderen has 3 DZ's, 1 (Moorsele) I haven't contacted yet caus it's far far away, Schaffen answered my inquiries about AFF and left a number to call for tandem (no answer there yet). The 3d (Zwartberg) I've only just emailed so no respons yet.
Spa has a proiblem with there mailserver/dns server whatever and still has not gotten my email I think.
Temploux is all french, a language I do not speak well enough to rely on it when jumping out of a plane.

Could you perhaps tell me if Spa has Dutch speaking instructors? Perhaps I'll come over.. but it's a long drive so I am hoping for more info on Schaffen or even Zwartberg.

Hi Poobear, Tigger here! I'd say tandem first - I've always known I wanted to skydive but wanted the experience of a tandem first to see how I would cope. I did my tandem on Feb 14th and it was better than I ever imagined it would be - it was great to experience the freefall but not having to worry too much about getting it right or deploying. And once the canopy is open you have someone there to chat to, ask any questions, and get a nice safe landing.

You can then figure out if you actually enjoyed it enough to start the 'debt'!

I've got the bug in a major way! I've got the bank loan (yes, debt starts here!), and found a great DZ (Hib) with great friendly people and I've now off to Portugal in 2 weeks to do my AFF.

Did groundschool yesterday, lots to remember but great fun, although aching a bit today and couple of bruises from being shaken about in harness practising malfunctions!

I did the groundschool with 2 others - one who had also done tandem and one that hadn't. The guy that hadn't done tandem was more scared and a bit more confused about what to do - you don't learn loads from a tandem but you do understand what happens in freefall and what to expect.

Hope that helps! Get your tandem booked now and get into that sky!

Let us know how you get on.

:)

Suzie
aka: Tigger

Despite its location, most people seem to be dutch-speaking, so not a problem at all. I live in Brussels, so Spa is about 1 hour 20 from me and whilst I know there are DZs nearer, I love it at Spa. Everyone is really friendly and there is a real community feeling, which you don't get everywhere.
Like I said, I'll be there on Saturday. Don't put it off any longer! Tandems are 180 euros and video 70 euros.

Despite its location, most people seem to be dutch-speaking, so not a problem at all. I live in Brussels, so Spa is about 1 hour 20 from me and whilst I know there are DZs nearer, I love it at Spa. Everyone is really friendly and there is a real community feeling, which you don't get everywhere.
Like I said, I'll be there on Saturday. Don't put it off any longer! Tandems are 180 euros and video 70 euros.

Mmm, k, that is the most expensive video in the country btw!! :(
Are you sure I do not need to book in advance for tandem AND video? People here persuaded me for the video.. will probably be nice to see again later.

Question: what times does these things start? midday? afternoon?

ok people, booked a tandem at Schaffen (Belgium). Sunday april 4th.. with video.
Pray for me ;)

Don't forget to post some pics from your skydive

Will do, if I don't look too scared ;)

And smile!

Will do, if I am not too scared! :ph34r: