EDYDO

Vigil AAD

I am about to purchase another AAD. The Vigil is interesting, but I can't find much "real world" info about it. I am aware of the misfire caused by the little black wire routing. That has been fixed, so it doesn't concern me. Has anyone been using one without incident. Would you buy it again given the choice?

Ed

I have been using one without incident. And yes I would definitely buy one again. Deland Majik probably has the most jumps on them (in the US), as they have used them for a season, if not two.

I'm sure if you call Kim at Vigil she can get some real world info.

D

could someone explain what happened with this? What black wire?

I have never seen the apparatus, so take this with a grain of salt. If you have seen a cypres battery, there's a wire that connects from the battery to the unit. I heard that similarily, on the vigil, that wire was pinched when installed, and it caused a misfire. Someone with more knowledge of the situation may be able to expand on this.

I am aware of the misfire caused by the little black wire routing

could someone explain what happened with this? What black wire?

My understanding is that a black wire was pinched during installation of a Vigil and it caused a misfire during a skydive. It also happened with one on the ground. If I have it right, they shortened that wire so that this could not happen again.

Ed

Do a search, you will come across a thread with an extensive discussion on misfire(s) that happened and why, and you will also find the DZ.com member name of the US representative. Mail him any questions.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I heard that, on the vigil, that wire was pinched when installed, and it caused a misfire

Interesting, I would have thought that the power would simply be cut off or it would turn off without warning. A misfire caused by a loss of power? Sounds like a ticking time bomb!

I heard that, on the vigil, that wire was pinched when installed, and it caused a misfire

Interesting, I would have thought that the power would simply be cut off or it would turn off without warning. A misfire caused by a loss of power? Sounds like a ticking time bomb!

Not necessarily. You're speculating without knowing the facts from any failure analysis testing that may have been done.

If the wiring was pinched, it could have cut through the insulation and created a short-circuit somewhere on the circuit-board, for-instance.

I'm sure I could find the right trace on a Cypres or Astra circuit board that, if hit with a few volts, would trigger a mis-fire.

Until the facts are known I'd hardly call it a 'ticking time bomb'.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

They told you to do a search, you didn't. Instead you're guessing. You guessed wrong. Nowhere did any post say the power was cut off.

In this post, bill booth said it was a short circuit. A short logically could easily cause a misfire.

clickey
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Now, i haven't seen any of them, but don't they use the same cutter jack like the cypres? Then you could just hook up a twin cutter...

Or, just look at their Website, and/or mail them.

As it failed to go through the swedish material/safety committee, I can't even buy one in Sweden today..

The had some comment on the quality and safety regarding the release height .. (It seems that it calculate a delay due to the delpyoment of your canopy!!!) which they are waiting for answers from Vigil about.
Schwede
"Das Leben ist schön, nicht immer aber immer öfter"

Sigh, I've asked this in several of these threads with no luck, I'm honestly not trying to haijack this thread, but maybe somebody here can answer my question..

Does Vigil Offer a 2-pin System??

You have probably looked at the web site by now, but I don't see any mention of it.

The testing looks good and I am not so concerned about getting an AAD to fire, that seems pretty simple. The concerns are keeping them FROM firing on a day to day basis when they shouldn't. The only way to know that is repeated real world use. I did lots of searches and read what I could find. It seems the most real world information that I could find is in the two here who are jumping with one.

I was in Deland in January and made several jumps right behind Majik. I didn't know they were using the Vigil. If true, they made a "bunch" of jumps with the Vigil that week.

Ed

Chrisky, the cutter is not the same jack as the Cypres,

Schwede, The fire altitude is 50ft different than the cypres, and the thing about the canopy delay being the determining factor, What I think they're talking about is that if you pull and your canopy is deploying around 1000' the unit will fire there due to the low pressure that is formed above the container. Both the cypres and the Vigil will fire I you are deploying at 1000' since they both work on barometric pressure.

Unstable I don't know about the two pin cutter but I'll call Kim and get that answer.

Lasly Ed, Look at the nationals photos, you'll see the logo, as well as their web-site. Or just e-mail the guys and ask them "if it's true.":P
Also Jerome David the French FS4/8 coach has been using one for a while.

D

Sigh, I've asked this in several of these threads with no luck, I'm honestly not trying to haijack this thread, but maybe somebody here can answer my question..

Does Vigil Offer a 2-pin System??

I'm sure it has been mentioned somewhere on here before but there will be a two pin cutter someitme in the future according to an e-mail I received from Kim a few months ago.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Has anyone been using one without incident.

I have one in my "new" Infinity this past weekend. (I meant WE... Sorry, Goose.:P) About 9 work jumps and all is fine. The Power-Up is straight forward and simple. I've also had numerous jumpers inquire about the unit, but for more info go to their website where you can download a copy of the User's Manual. CB, my rigger is also planning to acquire a Vigil after his experience in installing mine. Say it's pretty cool.B|

Would you buy it again given the choice?

Absolutely.

Shark
AFF-I
Skydive Elsinore

to drag your rig accross the carpet enough to create static electricity

Depending on the situation, that might happen from putting a little tension on the lines when bagging the canopy, how can one know how much static electricity is needed? Maybe wearing rubber soles could also trigger it? (Very hypothetical, i must admit).

It simply should not happen. If only for not needing a repack and cutter replacement.