f1shlips

Issue with brand new PD193 Reserve

I'm sure you are right, but I'm skeptical for 2 reasons.

1.) It's not mentioned in the manual. I wouldn't be the first rigger to notice them, or call. I would think they would mention it in the manual.

2.) They look rather spaced apart, unaligned, and at a really wierd place to be some sort of identifier.
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

Supposedly, PD marks every single panel on the parachute with construction and S/N info. I'd be interested to find out if that's what those markings symbolize.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

These (needle?) holes are on the rib in the middle of the #6 cell at the tail of my brand new reserve.

Whatya guys think? (I emailed PD, waiting for a response, thought I'd solicit opinions here)

66.106.81.44/canopydefect.jpg

Maybe words like "issue" and "defect" could be reserved until you find out if it is in fact an "issue" or "defect".

Little words like that go along way when taken out of context.

Just food for thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

2.) They look rather spaced apart, unaligned, and at a really wierd place to be some sort of identifier.

Funny you should say that. they are spaced very nicely.

It's the Identifier but I'm sure PD will get back to you on the subject.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Maybe words like "issue" and "defect" could be reserved until you find out if it is in fact an "issue" or "defect".

It IS an issue (harmless... perhaps), and to me (Seal#TXM) it looks like a defect. I'd call it a thing, or a whatchamacalit, but I find those terms less clear.

That's not a difficult problem to solve, don't take them out of context.
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

It IS an issue (harmless... perhaps), and to me (Seal#TXM) it looks like a defect. I'd call it a thing, or a whatchamacalit, but I find those terms less clear.

Hmmm. Didn't mean to sound negative in any way. It's just that the thread title say, "Issue with brand new PD193 reserve." That raised a red flag to me. If someone doesn't read the thread that title is still in the head. In conversation things like, "I heard that PD has an issue with it's reserves."

I would just suggest a title like, "Question for riggers regarding PD Reserve" or something. I certainly wouldn't suggest using a term like "Thingy" or "Whatchamacallit" At least not for this. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's not a difficult problem to solve, don't take them out of context.

I didn't. But what do you think the majority of casual readers do?

And thanks for your seal number. That was neat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Hello Richard!

Those holes are identification marks - for both the part itself and the entire canopy.
It can in some ways be compared to braille - as it's a code that gives us information about the canopy (it is pretty cryptic, I couldn't read it without having the "code breaker" handy).
All parts cut on our laser table bear this code, however most get folded up into seams when the canopy is assembled.
This one is the only one left completely exposed and can act as a back up warning label should the original one be damaged or unreadable for any reason (mostly that would apply to main canopies).

If you every get the chance to swing by PD, I would be happy to take you for a tour of the laser area and show you the parts before they are assembled, and if we time it right I might be able to show you the laser in action, it's quite impressive.

And - kudos on the thorough inspection - most people never notice :)
I'm sure Anabel will get back with you after the weekend (she takes care of the Support Tech e-mail at PD) but in the past couple of days we have had quite a few come in so we are a tad behind.

Feel free to PM me or e-mail me ([email protected]) if you have any other questions.

Blue ones!
Kolla Kolbeinsdottir,
Performance Designs, Inc.
Blue Skies Magazine

Hey Richard - I'll take a Corona thanks :P

Thanks for that post though, I think I will add this question to our FAQ's on PD's website - for future riggers to see.

If you guys have any other suggestions for the FAQ's by all means e-mail them to me - between PD's website and Dropzone.com we will hopefully have all kinds of good information available at your fingertips :)
Bloooos!
Kolla
Blue Skies Magazine

Just my opinion as a thread lurker...Excellent question/concern (always ask why) and excellent responses...kudos...I'm always up for learning..heck sometimes your life may just depend on the questions you ask!

Hi Kolla,

You are indeed an asset!! I might take you up on the tour next winter. Thanks again for the larger slider for my Saber!!

You da best!!

Kent
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------JUMP SAFE!

i'm with bonnie on this one. no offense fishlips, but when i read the thread title, the first thing i thought was 'uh oh.' on these forums, people tend to jump to conclusions a bit about things...and bonnie was spot on about what people would think reading the thread title. i expected this to digress to one of those honduras questions, truth be known. maybe for everyone, if there's a question, maybe say "Question about new PD193 Reserve" instead of "problem with..." or "issue with...". no need getting defensive, but when you're dealing with something as delicate as a reserve and a company's reputation, maybe objective wording might help. :)
on that note, everyone have a safe weekend. :)
arlo

The title got me to read it, and then to watch the thread....although I do understand the concerns.

I'm with da Bytch - I learned something here. I think, at my next repack, seeing as I use a PD193, I'll pull the cable, and then look for the "braille code"...

And if I ever get down that way, Kolla, I will for sure come by and take the tour.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~