ifics

Pull our or BOC?

Since there seems to be a big debate about PC in tow and a Pull Out would completely eliminate this why isn't every rig a Pull Out? What is the downside of a Pull out? I will be getting a new container after awhile and would like to know the good and bad about both. If they are about the same but one can eliminate a potentially serious problem why not just go with a Pull out?

Since there seems to be a big debate about PC in tow and a Pull Out would completely eliminate this why isn't every rig a Pull Out?

1) The p/c in tow IS possible on a Pullout. I've seen it hapen, and heard about it more than once. It's rare though. The bridal can wrap the p/c and choke it off if it's not packed carefuly.

2) Less packer friendly, and some say it's easier to pack it as a mal by twisting the gromet the pud lanyard runs through. Not a problem if you do a good gear check on the ground.

3) a lazy throw will be less likely to result in an imediate deployment than with a trow out. Not a problem, just reinforces the need to have a vigerous throw.

I jump a pull out.

Why?

I "know" when the container is open. The likelyhood of a horseshoe malfunction from a premature main container opening is close to nil. A horseshoe is the single scariest malfunction I can think of.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The Pull-Out version of a PC-in-tow is called "floating PUD".

comepletely untrue.
a floating pud means that your pilot chute is still in the container, an the pin is still in. but your pud handle is unvelcroed, IE floating.
the procedures for this are, try once try twice, (altitude allowing of course) then go for the reserve.
unlike with a PC in tow. it has almost no chance of the main deploying from the lack of pressure on the divider wall.

definetaly not the same as a PC in tow

exactly. I'd much rather, if need be, deploy a reserve with a little pud handle out in the breeze than into my pc... I'd more than likely try to contain the pc in the tow situation, but that eats up time too... I'd just rather go pud. I also have found that since having my rig converted, I get stood up in the harness faster too. The opening isn't harder, just faster snatch.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

comepletely untrue.
a floating pud means that your pilot chute is still in the container, an the pin is still in. but your pud handle is unvelcroed, IE floating.
the procedures for this are, try once try twice, (altitude allowing of course) then go for the reserve.
unlike with a PC in tow. it has almost no chance of the main deploying from the lack of pressure on the divider wall.

definetaly not the same as a PC in tow

I meant they are moral equivalents, not exactly the same thing.

I felt the comment I replied to was saying "people with throw-outs get PCs in tow; why not just all switch to pull-out to solve this, since they don't get PCs in tow?". So my point was that pull-outs may not get PCs in tow, but they have something else that can go wrong: floating pud.

It is my understanding (based on zero pull-out jumps) that a short/weak pull can free the pud from its storage place but leave the container closed. If this happens, the jumper has a total and it's time to begin EPs, which you have nicely described. :)
So I mean to say that changing from throw-out to pull-out to prevent PCs in tow is not a free lunch because the problem isn't just the towability of the PC, it's failures in the manual deployment initiation (and luck).

I see now that you are saying a pull-out system can't end up in a certain kind of towed PC that is peculiar to throw-out: a properly-routed, free-flying, cocked and non-worn-out pilot chute failing to pull the pin until the reserve is deployed and relieves pressure on the dividing wall, resulting in a two-out. This is quite true - a floating PUD shouldn't have enough drag to pull the pin by itself. But the pull-out system does have another moral equivalent: the pin is pulled and the PC inflates fine but the bag is stuck in the container.

So, is a stuck closed curved pin towing a good throw-out PC more or less likely than a stuck d-bag towing a good pull-out PC? :ph34r:

Personally, I don't believe in stuck closed curved pins towing good PCs. I believe in misrouted PCs, uncocked PCs, PCs with excessively-shrunken kill ines, bridle-choked PCs, PCs wrapped around limbs, PCs with worn-out fabric*, and PCs all out of trim. I also believe in lost handles. Maybe when I get more jumps I will change my mind.

(* I'm gradually believing less and less in PCs with worn-out fabric, since I don't think the pull force of a PC is very dependent on its non-permeability. I do believe PCs could be way out of trim by the time their fabric is considered "old", so there could be a misplacement of cause here. Clearly some testing is in order....)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Personally, I don't believe in stuck closed curved pins towing good PCs.

I didn't either until I saw an example of just that on a CRW jump during the 2002 Americas record at Lake Wales. Eric Johnson had his Lightning BOC retractable bridle (red Dacron suspension line) wrap around the curved pin the same way a boater ties off a line on a cleat. He wrestled with the towed PC for 8000', pulling it every way he could (left side, right side, over the shoulder) before deploying his reserve at 4000' (ironically repacked the night before - it was the first jump of the day).

I'd have a hard time believing it had I not seen it myself. Even on the ground, I could pick up the rig by the main bridle and heft it up and down and it still remained closed. A freak occurrence for sure.

Bob

the pull-out system does have another moral equivalent: the pin is pulled and the PC inflates fine but the bag is stuck in the container.

Do you lay in bed at night & think up this shit? If an incident report of this even exists, it's certainly not as common as a PC in tow or a horseshoe. But I know somebody will post that they swear they have seen it happen. Anyway, if indeed it was to happen, no PC/bridle/bag combination could be immune from this rarity. Not even your sacred throw-out.

a properly-routed, free-flying, cocked and non-worn-out pilot chute failing to pull the pin

Although this is uncommon, plain old idiotic packing or gear-up mistakes are not uncommon and that's how most PCs in tow are caused. Pack a total with a pull-out or have a floating pud & you still have a decent shot at a clean reserve deployment.

S49

it has almost no chance of the main deploying from the lack of pressure on the divider wall.

I borrowed a rig, the pull out was packed slightly incorrect and I didn't check properly. :| The handle yanked out of my hand. I did my 2 attempts and pulled both cutaway and reserve handles at the same time. Blammo, the reserve opened, soon followed by the main.The bagged canopy fell to the ground as I followed it.

The pressure on the divider wall was relieved so just the weight of the handle finished pulling the pin.

You're still right, it's not likely the main container will open. However, when there's no pressure on the divider wall, there is usually no tension on the main closing loop either. The weight of the dangling pull-out handle is easily enough to open the container.

Just be aware.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

So, is a stuck closed curved pin towing a good throw-out PC more or less likely than a stuck d-bag towing a good pull-out PC?

neither! because theyre good PCs :P

I believe in misrouted PCs, uncocked PCs, PCs with excessively-shrunken kill ines, bridle-choked PCs, PCs wrapped around limbs, PCs with worn-out fabric*, and PCs all out of trim.

exacty! thats the point, all this stuff SHOULD
work when properly maintained, its when things arent looked after that shit USUALLY happens;)

when there's no pressure on the divider wall, there is usually no tension on the main closing loop either.

good point, thats why i said almost, cause theyres never sure things;)

ok..lets add this to the mix,,,bottom of container vs legstrap? you can see it on your leg vs reaching back blind.....opinions please....

way too much exposed bride for me
(read: any is too much for me)
and the slight (but very real) chance of giving yourself a horseshoe by accidentally pulling the exposed bridle when reaching for your handle.B|
the small advantage it gives during a horseshoe is the only upside i see, but for me, that is far outweighed by the downfalls.

One reason some people don't get a pullout is that if you get go of the PC accidently before it catches here it can fall into dead air behind you and not inflate.

Really? And why would a BOC not do the same?

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Except, of course, that if you have a "floating PUD" and you choose to immediatly fire your reserve or your cypres fires, your main container is closed and there is almost no risk of a main reserve entanglement.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

"bottom of container vs legstrap? you can see it on your leg vs reaching back blind.....opinions please.... "

Bad Juju for freeflying, premature deployments are no fun, and increased velcro to maintain/replace.
Reaching round blind is a wee bit of a falacy, how many people (100 jumps +) still look at their ROL at pull time? I'd wager very few.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I like B.O.C. on principal.

It is a properly staged deployment.
Pilot chute catches air, pulls pin, pulls d-bag.

The Pull out system pops the pin and opens the container then pulls the pilot chute out.

You can't really pitch the pilot chute that far away from your body like with BOC. Why do you think they recommend BOC for wingsuit flyers?

I like B.O.C. on principal.

The Pull out system pops the pin and opens the container then pulls the pilot chute out.

I've always had a problem with this logic...Manually popping the pin to open the container, then deploying the pilot chute is how EVERY other method of personal deployment works. Static line (direct bag and pilot chute assist), freefall ripcord, and ALL reserves work the same as pull-out...Are you saying that only throw aways and tandem main deployments are proper deployments?????

Edit: for spelling.
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

You can't really pitch the pilot chute that far away from your body like with BOC.

Clipped from my post a few day ago:

Throwing any hand deployed pilot chute is like throwing a feather in a hurricane. Either of these objects will go with the relative wind no matter how hard you throw them in any other direction. Pulling the pud to full arm extension insures its exposure to good air, and releasing it promptly insures that the bag won't escape ahead of the bridle. Many years ago I was incorrectly taught to forcefully throw the pud away from my body and found that most people tend to let go if it at the half-way point (bent elbow) as they follow through to arm extension with an empty hand. Like the feather analogy, the PC will never get any farther horizontally from your body than the release point, and it can get sucked into your burble.

...whether it's a pull-out or throw out.

S49

I'm very curious about the loop length on this rig. I know mine in a bitch to close, but I've also seen pull-outs with "pack-friendly" "long" loops. Personally I think pull-out i.c.w. a "too long" loop is a controdictio in terminus
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

You can't really pitch the pilot chute that far away from your body like with BOC.

You really don't know what you are talking about.

Jump the system and you'll see why.

Who or where does it say that is the "proper" way to deploy a canopy? Your reserve sequence works more like a Pullout than a throw out.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Says who?? It's only the proper, staged deployment if you define "proper" as based on a throw-out system.

Answer me this: How do you know FOR SURE that you're container is open after you pitch with a throw out? I'm talking about during that delay time before you get stood up. How long are you willing to wait to find out? With my pull-out, I KNOW when the container is open...and I know if it's locked up.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."