jumpinjackflash

Collapsible Pilot Chute

K

Workin on my A, almost there, been sayin it for awhile. Anyhow.

My rig in my room, lays there waiting to jump.

It has a collapsible pilot chute. I've packed it numerous times, screwed with "setting it" tons. Everytime I seem to get it right, but never feel real good with it....

It's fucking with my head. Mocking me. Laying there taunting me.

I keep thinking, the first time I jump it, or the third whatever, I'll screw up the pilot chute and throw out a dangling piece of crap that isn't cocked.

Is it stupid of me to be thinking of replacing it with a regular pilot chute until I get used to A, jumping my own shit, and b, packing my own shit...

I'm just thinking I could put it away for awhile till I feel comfortable doing all of the above?

Is this a stupid thought on my part?

Thanks,

Jack
It's a gas, gas, gas...

Hi JJ

I'm thinking there's lot's of the new wave folks that started jumping with the collapisble PC's without problems. If they can you can:)
I didn't use one because when I used to jump I did everything the same every time. Like a old dog that didn't want to learn a new trick. I quit for a while got the velcro replaced on my riser covers and the rigger asked if I want a BOC?

Nope: rig isn't head down friendly anyway, afaic no reason to change it.

Talk with the folks at your DZ.

R.I.P.

do what you are comfortable with.
I would say no need to change. Just don't forget. The same as not forgetting to stow your brakes or open your slider...
my 2 cents
If you think you are not "ready" to learn a new thing, change it. The price has nothing to do with the safety.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

-->Is this a stupid thought on my part?

Hell no that isnt a stupid thought, practice packing - build a set pattern of when during the packing cycle you cock the pilot chute. And definately do it enough to get comfortable with it, and do it the same every time..... check the kill line before you close the container, build this into your routine, and always check it when you pick it up to put it on. Have your rigger watch you pack, he may have some really good suggestions.

If it continues to bother you.....replace it till some time in the future when you are more experienced.

Just between you and me:S.......it used to bother the hell out of me when I first got a collapsing pilot chute...... I just knew I would forget about it........... never did **knocking on wood**

blue skies
Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

It depends on what you are willing to sacrifice in the area of canopy performance. If you jump at a DZ that has lots of outs and are not worried about the small decline in performance lost due to the drag of an inflated pilot chute, then go ahead and replace it. However, at some point you're going to have to learn it. It might as well be now.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

it used to bother the hell out of me when I first got a collapsing pilot chute...... I just knew I would forget about it........... never did **knocking on wood**

Same here.

My take on using a collapsible on your first rig is why not? It adds one more step to the packing procedure - but since a new jumper is still learning to pack anyway why not learn to pack what they'll probably be wanting in 100 jumps or so? Seems to me you'd be less likely to forget cocking it if that step has always been part of a pack job for you than if you've packed 100 times and then add a collapsible.

Here's what I do, for what it's worth. Cock the pilot chute. Take a bight (loop) of bridle towards the pin end, on the pilot chute side of the pin, and tie an overhand knot in it so 3 to 5 inches of loop protrudes from the knot. This effectively "locks" your pilot chute in the cocked position. Pack normally, put your pin in the closing loop and remove your pull up cord. Undo the knot, fold the bridle as usual and stow your pilot chute. There is no way you'll stuff this huge knot of bridle into a closed container or fold it into your pilot chute (and even if you did, your pilot chute is cocked), it keeps the pilot chute from somehow uncocking during packing, and it reminds you that you cocked it in the first place. There may be some mystery downside that I don't know about, but it's worked for me for years.

I'm just thinking I could put it away for awhile till I feel comfortable doing all of the above?

Is this a stupid thought on my part?

What's your priority--using the same equipment as more experienced skydivers, or staying alive? Your comfort level has everything to do with safety.

Give yourself credit for having good instincts.

You need approval for losing the retractable? OK, you have my approval.

Now go get that A license!

S49

Thanks Everyone.

I believe I'll keep it and take the time to learn now instead of relearn down the road.

The thought of having to change habits later instead of just developing the right ones now with this one, one outweighs the other.

I sincerely appreciate all the suggestions.

jjf
It's a gas, gas, gas...

The other big deal issue here is to do a pin check prior to putting the rig on, and then getting a pin check from another jumper prior to jumping.

The pilot chute bridle should have a window with a marked section of kill line indicating it is set. Make sure you add that inspection to your pin check, and specifically ask anybody doing a pin check if the pilot chute is cocked.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
S&TA
Senior Parachute Rigger
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

The other big deal issue here is to do a pin check prior to putting the rig on, and then getting a pin check from another jumper prior to jumping.

The pilot chute bridle should have a window with a marked section of kill line indicating it is set. Make sure you add that inspection to your pin check, and specifically ask anybody doing a pin check if the pilot chute is cocked.

Tom Buchanan

Exactly.

I would revise the window check to be when you are packing, and putting your pin in! (Or just before you don your rig if a packer packed it). Something like checking the window is something the jumper should do every time. There really isn't any way that a PC can be cocked at closing time, but become uncocked in the plane.

Checking the pin, on the other hand, is quite different, and can be dislodged from packtime to exit time. Check the pin when you don your gear, and check it close to exit time. Don't be afraid to ask for a pin check, and don't be afraid to offer a pin check.

One warning about windows though, the markings can bleed somewhat, so the 'marked area' becomes larger. This just means that the PC may looked '100% cocked' when it is really '95% cocked'.

Hopefully you don't have that small a PC and that tight a container that the 5% would make a difference, but why take the chance -- get familiar with where the markings are.

Another note -- keep an eye on the condition of the kill line. Depending on the material, it can shrink (from heat), or stretch somewhat. Shrinking means that your PC may not cock 100%. Stretching means that your PC will probably not fully collapse (and most likely spin up and be a royal pain to untangle the next pack job).

j

As a lot of very good advice has already been given, here are my 2 cents.

Build a packing routine.
Do it the same every time, and you are less likely to forget something.

The first three things i do after dropping my rig is:
1. Stow breaks
2. open slider
3. cock PC

Then its off to the standard Propack, and when i put the canopy in the d-bag i can see that the holding line is longer than the collapsing line(PC cocked, Checkpoint 1). When i put the Pin through the loop, i check the "eye" in the bridle (PC cocked, Checkpoint 2).
If in doubt, i can get a pincheck at any time.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

OK, when you finish packing, is the indicator window still green on your bridle? Then it works! Toss your PC in the air and see if it catches air before slipping it into your BOC.

I somtimes give the PC a little extra cocking after I put the Dbag into the container.

I think the thought of an uncocked pilot chute has freaked out almost everybody at one time or another.

I'm still new at this whole skydiving thing but here's how i pack mine and other people's rigs.

Brakes and slider.
Drop rig.
Secure risers with spike or weight.
Walk the lines.
Pro-pack to where i get the canopy in the nice cone-shape on the ground.
Stand up and cock my pilot chute.
Grab the bridle and physically "pull" the PC through the air a few times. If it inflates, it cocked.
Then i put the canopy in the bag and close.
Then i put my pin in i normally give my PC another "pull" to where i'm sitting, once again, if it inflates, it's cocked.

Now go jump dude!

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I had the same anxiety a few weeks back....jumping my own first rig that had a collapsible P/C
Even more daunting was that it does not have a 'window' on it to check if its cocked.
I have programmed myself to make cocking it part of my packing routine...at the start..before I foldinto the D Bag...and before it goes into the container.

I will check the length of line by holding up the hackey as well as throwing it up in the air to see how it falls......The way I fold my P/C also lets me know if it has been left uncocked....

Definately know how u are feeling though !!.....talk with yr instructor and get him to suggest the best way to incorporate a routine into your packing...he /she will know best