d_goldsmith

Yosemite Idea

Anyone think you could fight the aerial delivery bs in court if you had flared slightly high and cut your canopy away at 3ft or so? I'm assuming it is parachute aerial delivery, since they let hang gliders fly and land there.

Good idea. On top of the 2k fine, loss of gear, and huge inconvenience. You'll have a broken ankle.
That'll show umB|

I would like to thank the NPS for showing us the true value of a National Park:
get out of your car at the signs that tell you to take a picture, spend lots of money, and then leave.

In reality they're doing me a huge favor. If they weren't prejudice, I would be living there and jumping all day every day. I'd be fit, content, and happy. Thanks NPS - fuckers.

NPS sucks.
-Bill

Hey.... Why didn't we think of that? Definitely!! Go Try and tell us if it works. Jump at high noon too. :P:D

Sorry bro, won’t work. Aerial Delivery first started to stop the moon shiners who would fly over to make drops. They just now conveniently use it against us.

Nice try though.

Coco

you'd probably have better luck with a tranquilizer gun. Just put any rangers who try to get you to sleep, and you'll be out of there before they all wake up. piece of cake.

Hello,
They're having that.
It's next Tuesday.
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

How about a "Yosemite Day", one weekend a year where it's legal to jump in the Park ?

Its on the 4th of July. US citizens only, I think. Call Eric Ryde @ 769-555-6969 to get your name on the list.
Go forth now, to the promised lands, and swear much unto each other, with mighty profanity and many personal attacks. T.A.

Nope, I just called 769-555-6969 and it's definitely for real. They even happily accept death campers.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

. US citizens only, I think

Sob
:(

Fabien
BASE#944

yeah, called him
got on the list...

big way planned for 4:20 tues afternoon
blaine

A better idea is to have a parachute packing ceremony with hundreds of parachutes in the landing area. What are they going to do, arrest 300 people for packing parachutes? Not knowing if anyone jumped? Not knowing who jumped if there was one?
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

...until they arrest multiple people and confiscate their gear for 'aiding/conspiracy to commit illegal aerial delivery' :S

arrest is different than conviction and the packing strategy seems like the only effective method to challenge the use of the NPS statutes.

That's pretty brilliant. I'm not sure how the public would react if the media was there to watch 100's of people getting arrested for packing parachutes in a national park. Hopefully NPS wouldn't do it, or the public wouldn't put up with it.

Edited to make the reply to 460 instead of Bert_man

, since they let hang gliders fly and land there.

I wonder ,If a hang has to throw his raserve do they charge with arial delivery?

i was just being the devil's advocate... i think it's a great idea and its better than doing nothing... i'd be right there with you :)

I wonder ,If a hang has to throw his raserve do they charge with arial delivery?

And if they don't bust the Hanglider for using the reserve... We should start jumping from Hangliders until they just say "OK, fuck it. You can BASE jump."

Great IdeaB|B|
-Bill

~
Fear is the thief of dreams...

And if they don't bust the Hanglider for using the reserve... We should start jumping from Hangliders until they just say "OK, fuck it. You can BASE jump."

They're more likely to say "all right then, no hang gliding either." I know that USHGA has gone around this issue with the NPS, since the NPS will allow hang gliders but not paragliders, because paragliders might open the door to BASE rigs.

I believe that the NPS response to USHGA was along the lines of "stop pushing this issue, or we'll find a way to throw the hang gliders out of the parks, too."
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

NPS stands for National Police State

I can't even believe I am thinking about it, but...

Has anyone ever sent the ACLU a packet on BASE and the NPS and asked them for a response?
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Has anyone ever sent the ACLU a packet on BASE and the NPS and asked them for a response?

Thanks for volunteering HydroGuy. let us know if you need any help. You should have no problem finding great video of super safe jumps in from huge cliffs in Europe. I wouldn't include too much by way of carnage on the first offering.

Be Safe
-Bill

That's a great idea Hydroguy. I actually did community service with the ACLU after getting into some trouble on a jump. As controversial as they are, they really do fight hard for rights given to U.S. citizens under the Constitution.

A better idea is to have a parachute packing ceremony with hundreds of parachutes in the landing area. What are they going to do, arrest 300 people for packing parachutes? Not knowing if anyone jumped? Not knowing who jumped if there was one?

That's actually quite an interesting idea. Invite some lawyers and news crews, put up some signs [maybe more "please" than "fuck NPS"] and fill the field below the rock on a big holiday. Organize people into the shape of the word "BASE" to make it visible from the top. Have some people running around and kiting their canopies just to get attention, etc. Talk to the public and have a few well-spoken members of the community talk to the news about how much traffic it brings to TF and - accordingly - how much it would bring to Yosemite... which would be a big help considering that the NPS is struggling a little lately.

Hm. :D July 4th, 2007, who's organizing? :D
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I actually got the idea after reading posts on here a while ago.

People posted that they have applied for BASE permits in National Parks, but that they have been ignored or denied.

So I thought why not have an ACLU attorney apply for a group permit?

The NPS would 1. Have to respond. 2. Either say yes or no, and if no, they'd have to give some kind of reason for their denial. And maybe this denial would provide a spark for the ACLU to take interest in the issue.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary