GentleTiger

1st Canopies

And as for what canopy to buy? I like what Lisa (Skybytch) wrote this morning at 7:30 am (5:30 our time). Trust what she tells you as she kind of does this (councils and sells people new gear) for a living and she won't set you up with inappropriate gear.

best argument.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

hey piis,

getting a canopy loaded at .95 shouldn't be any trouble, and it's still within the general loading for a novice, I think.

thanx, you're absolutely right! :)
Tiger

hi Nightingale,

y'know, I never thought to pack one before I considered it...I'm so glad I used this forum!

thank you, :)BBS
Tiger

hey piis,

getting a canopy loaded at .95 shouldn't be any trouble, and it's still within the general loading for a novice, I think.

thanx, you're absolutely right! :)
Tiger

if you can fly it and your instructors think it's OK for you, go ahead.
If they say no not yet, wait some time, raise your skills, and have fun. Stay safe

Hi,

Thanks for your comments Praetorian, there's a friend of mine who has a Lotus...maybe I'll bug him to let me try it. As far as packing is concerned, it's all still greek to me. ;)

hi bill,

ya, I'm not thrilled with the long snivels the spectre has either, but I like the idea of a great flare...how is the pilot's flare?

hi bill,

ya, I'm not thrilled with the long snivels the spectre has either, but I like the idea of a great flare...how is the pilot's flare?

hey tiger, better to have a soft opening canopy than a hard opening canopy.
The spectre openings are soft, but not too long...
My Saphire2 usually opens on approx 300m (close to 1000ft !!) but I know it, and do not tend to pull low.

Think you got many pieces of good advice from people like Billvon, Skybytch etc... Now GO JUMP :P
Stay safe, have fun.

As far as packing is concerned, it's all still greek to me.

Getting insturction is the best but if like me your away from the DZ for long periods of time getting an instructiion video like "pack like a pro" or "trouble free ZP" are good ideas I don't think I can pack now because I've watched them but I understand the steps/purpose better

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

Hi Phoenix,

Ya, I trust my instinct, but I also know I know little enough about this sport to try to absorb every bit of info I can...in the end, it is up to me, and instinct will play a large part of that.

BBS

Hey Phoenix,

First of all, being in my 40s, I won't be downsizing all that much, so I probably won't sell mine for a very long time. Secondly, I'm just trying to narrow down my prospects a little so I can target certain canopies and leave the rest alone. Thirdly, it's a lot less expensive to buy used and pack my own than to rent stuff from the DZ. And lastly, I'm not planning on going out tomorrow to buy one...I can't think of a thing that I haven't thought out, can you?

BBS

Ive just bought my gear after 120 jumps! I dont say that do the same, but I would wait 30-50 jumps before buy anything.......Im not sure that WL 1.1 on a ZP canopy would suit you now, but it would be good in the future.....

I can't think of a thing that I haven't thought out, can you?

Thats the reason to wait.

Ya, Lisa's a sweetie, and she knows her stuff.

Sheesh, I'm terrible with names, I know I'd recognize ya...it's like a word at the tip of my tongue...I'll see ya this weekend...I was going to go for Levels 6 & 7 today, but I got about 10 inches of snow up here in the mountains, so I may be home bound for the day until the plow comes through.

It's too bad cuz I really love sliding on in through the snow...Whhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooosh! :P

Good luck at the tourney

ya, safety is my top priority...I want to be able to do things with the 290s I'm on, then I'll downsize...I read the downsize checklist and plan on following it.

:)

Sounds like a good idea. I'd recommend considering the following:

Don't buy a new one yet (not worth it!) Not until you're on you're second canopy.

Spend a bit more time on rental equipment. Looking at your wingloading on a 190 reserve, you should probably be jumping a 170 to start (like me!) B|

I was lucky - got a whole rig 2nd hand for a reasonable price which fitted me (and came with a PD170 main). Whilst this is possibly not the finest canopy out there (v basic), it works... ;)

Anyway, you'll probably begin to downsize from your student main v quickly - 10 jumps - to about 170/190 (wherever you feel comfortable) then you will want your own.

If you go for a ZP semi-elliptical, err on the side of caution when it comes from wing loadings!

BTW - I suppose you appreciate that 170s and 220s at the same wing loadings handle differently? (Control lines are longer in the latter!) ;) Lighter pilots will experience a twitchier canopy at the same wing loading as a heavier one...
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

you should probably be jumping a 170 to start (like me!)

How do you know this? Ever seen her land? Do you know where she jumps? How would you feel if she took your advice and bought a 170, then discovered it was too fast for her at 5000 feet msl ground altitude (which is approximately the ground altitude the dz she jumps at)? Or even worse, if she got hurt under that 170?

Canopy sizing advice is best given by a novice jumper's instructors - not by fellow novice jumpers.

you should probably be jumping a 170 to start (like me!)

How do you know this? Ever seen her land? Do you know where she jumps? How would you feel if she took your advice and bought a 170, then discovered it was too fast for her at 5000 feet msl ground altitude (which is approximately the ground altitude the dz she jumps at)? Or even worse, if she got hurt under that 170?

Canopy sizing advice is best given by a novice jumper's instructors - not by fellow novice jumpers.

You are so right here Lisa. Without talking too much about Tiger, I have seen her land and I do know a few things about her training history. I'm not sure what size canopy she's thinking about (something between herself, her instructors and her gear dealer). But having someone who doesn't know her saying that she should be jumping a 170 in Colorado when she doesn't want fast landings because of her medical history, is just wrong. >:(

Dang say it ain't so. You're not turning into canopy Nazi are you Steve? Nah ... but I don't want to see Tiger get hurt under a canopy that she's not ready for. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Dang say it ain't so. You're not turning into canopy Nazi are you Steve? Nah ... but I don't want to see Tiger get hurt under a canopy that she's not ready for.

Scary thought, isn't it? ;) But that's exactly why I'm known as Canopy Nazi #1 - because even though I don't personally know many of the people I advise on canopy selection, I don't want to hear about any of them getting hurt under a canopy they weren't really ready for.