Brandoliem

Responsibilities of selling a rig...

I have my second rig for sale and on the posting I'm asking that they give me their mentor's name or show that they are enrolled in a first jump course. Didn't really consider that to be asking too much, but then I got his random PM today:

It never ceases to amaze me when I see ads like yours. Did You have to provide Your "Mentors" info when you bought that rig? You can order from any of the Mfg. with just a credit card.Don't get me wrong, I think it's good idea that we should have training in this sport(as well as any), I just don't like it when someone tries to put restrictions. If you're really that concerned about, then offer a first jump course or take the rig out back, light it on fire and watch it burn til' it's all gone and then you won't have to worry about it.

I can't even believe this guy is serious! Am I crazy for taking some caution with who I pass a rig on to? It seems really elementary to me to make sure someone getting in to BASE is willing to make at least *some* effort to learn the right way. Sorry 'skypetey' but if you're not willing to put some effort in to keeping yourself alive, i'm not willing to be the one that gives you the rig you're going to kill yourself with.

-Brandy

Its your rig, you can sell in any damn way you want. I am glad you ARE being responsible and not just looking to get the cash. By the way it is NICE to have two rigs, back to backs!!;) If only I had two..:(

Asylum sent me a message asking about a certain skydiver. Martin was not going to sell the equipment to him unless someone provided referrence.

He also called another jumper to get an additional opinion. After we gave our thumbs up, Martin agreed.

Not all transactions are done that way of course.

That said, what's the jumpers experience level? If the guy's been in the sport for 10 years and has 3,000 skydives, well he may have his head on his shoulders.

Bottomline, if you're not comfortable selling the rig to someone then don't. Ask for some referrence or see what his plans are.

I have a rig for sale too, and I'll definately be picky who gets it.

nicrulssel.. if you're interested ;)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I have a rig for sale too, and I'll definately be picky who gets it.

nicrussel.. if you're interested ;)

there are two l's nicrussell, just being picky:P and i only need a canopy, I have an extra container.

Sorry about that, I fixed it.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

As far as I know, Asylum would prefer to decline a deal, than sell equipment to an unqualified person.

It all comes down to ethics. Money is not the most important thing when it comes to some aspects of business, especially when you're handing someone a vehicle capable of destruction.

If a qualified jumper wants gear, then the deal will roll along very smoothly, with the best customer service I've encountered.

I was gonna say, a mate is just looking to order a rig from Asylum and they asked about FJC bookings/mentors at the enquiry (sp?) stage, never mind the order stage!

Which is a obviously good thing.

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

We had a guy come down the mountain a couple months' back with a familiar rig on his back. I knew who's it was and him saying he just bought it made sense, for a short while... He showed up at my shop asking to get a small item checked, "will you tell me if this thing (chest strap velcro ) is ok?" I replied in the positive, asking his name, how many jumps, who was mentoring ect.. He did not know he needed a mentor and then asked "Can I watch you pack for me, and just how do you get out to that big antenna?" Being he head 20 JUMPS! ,and was cocky ,(Dude I already have two cutaways from a hangglider). I sent him packing and firmly told him to get more SKYDIVES before continuing his quest. I also contacted the rig seller and informed him HE was responsible for what happened to the new owner of that rig, just taking the money was'nt enough.

If a guy was qualified, he would have no problems with your ad. If a guy understood what he was getting into, he would have no problems with your ad. If a guy was trying to do anything but buy a rig he shouldn't have, he would have no problems with your ad.

You mean you have two rigs and left one at home when you came to visit last week??? Slacker:S

May we live long and die out

I can't even believe this guy is serious! Am I crazy for taking some caution with who I pass a rig on to? It seems really elementary to me to make sure someone getting in to BASE is willing to make at least *some* effort to learn the right way. Sorry 'skypetey' but if you're not willing to put some effort in to keeping yourself alive, i'm not willing to be the one that gives you the rig you're going to kill yourself with.

-Brandy

you are not crazy, you are following your own personal mores, ( probably a more accurate term than ethics).
but
what would be your criteria for making a yes / no decision?
and
what are your qualifications for making this judgement?

so many questions.
so little time

be safe

kleggo

Well here we go again. Disappointing,but not surprising. My point in this matter was never to buy this rig.My point is who made this guy the base police?We all make our own decision every time we leave the plane or step off. I don't need ANYONE to tell me what I should or shouldn't do. Is it a good idea for a 20 jump wonder to go out and base jump on their own? Does this even need to be said?C'Mon, who's gonna pay the price? You or the idiot that does it.I just think you're either going to something to really change it, or not. Saying you're not going to sell a rig to anyone before they prove to you they're qualified isn't enough. How many ratings do you have?Are you willing to mentor someone in the sport? This is what needs to done. Lead,follow or get outta' the way.By the way, 3000+ skydives,8 BASE jumps, AFF,TANDEM,Riggerand S/L.I never asked to buy your rig.

Good for you Brandy. We've had this discussion before. Dont sell your rig to anyone who isn't qualified to have it. But like I told you the other night, you still need to sell it and go buy some Asylum gear !!! :) B|
And sure as hell dont take shit from anyone like this guy " Skypetey ".

This isn't skydiving. This is BASE jumping and we take care of our own. If you don't like the way we do things, that's not our problem. If you don't understand why she needs to ask these questions, you don't know much about BASE.

You buying a rig and burning in on one of my objects does matter. It means I will probably have to play it cool at that site for the near future. I will have to answer a bunch of needless questions from all of my friends. It's just a pain in the ass that can be easily avoided by not selling you a rig to begin with.

It also makes the BASE community look like a bunch of yahoos.

It's HER friggin' RIG!!! Who are YOU to tell her what conditions she can or cannot put on the sale of it! It doesn't matter whether or not she is actually qualified to evaluate whether or not a potential buyer is "suitable" or not. If she wants to put that kind of a condition on the sale of HER rig, that's her right. And anyone who doesn't like it can go deal with someone else! But to get all bent about it and act like she's out of line for setting that condition seems ridiculous!

C'Mon, who's gonna pay the price? You or the idiot that does it.

Okay, you weren't trying to buy the rig, but still, you got bent out of shape about it. What would you think about someone who WAS trying to buy the rig and got bent out of shape?

The person who is more eager to buy gear than they are to prepare for BASE by lining up the proper training is someone who's going to be writing checks the rest of us are going to have to pay. They're not "paying the price" if they go in. They're transferring the debt to the rest of us in the form of pressure from family and friends, not to mention law enforcement or the authorities who may become involved and may as a result become a little more focused or biased against what we do.

If your point is we shouldn't be trying to protect someone from themselves... Okay, fine. What we're doing by asking for references is to protect the rest of us and our sport. This is analogous to qualifying the buyer of a high-performance canopy before putting someone under a wing they shouldn't be under. In our case, it's called self-regulation and this is a responsible example of such.

-C.

I am in no way trying to be an authority on who should or should not base jump. Your post is one big contradiction. You say that people need to do something to make a difference, but when I try to keep a rig out of the wrong hands, you reprimand me for not doing enough. I have 40 jumps... no where near enough to mentor somebody. If, at this point in time, all I can do to 'lead' is be accountable for who I sell a rig to, how is that not doing my part to make a difference?

If you are not looking to buy a rig, I can't understand why you are so hell-bent on criticizing my post. You said "I think it's good idea that we should have training in this sport"... then why would you challenge the idea of making sure the person has a plan for proper training?

When I said "you" in my earlier post, I was more referring to someone trying to buy a rig without a thought toward how they would learn to use it. If I am taking your comments out of context, I apologize, but I am understandably infuriated when you suggest that qualifying a potential buyer is over-stepping my abilities. Maybe its just me being selfish... if something were to happen to the person I sold my rig to, and they had no right to be jumping it, I wouldn't be able to forgive myself.

-Brandy

3000+ skydives

Means absolutitly nothing when it comes to BASEjumping

Ps Just sell it to a European and don't worry about it:ph34r:

May we live long and die out

Are you willing to mentor someone in the sport?

Yes.

And I'm glad that people, even those who don't wish to teach or mentor, still have ethical standards.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

My point is who made this guy the base police?

was that seriously your point??

I don't need ANYONE to tell me what I should or shouldn't do.

so no one told you what to do to get all those ratings? maybe you just decided you wanted them, and paid someone for them. i see.

no restrictions

ok

Saying you're not going to sell a rig to anyone before they prove to you they're qualified isn't enough.

wait, now it's not enough... or there shouldn't be any...:S

everyone's got an opinion... just try to pick good ones.

by the way, 3000+ days defending your right to be an asshole.;)

I am proud of ya Brandy for the way you handled that clown. Who knows what pissed in Skypete's Cheerios but something has his undies in a wad...probably not just your post! I did some checking up on you too!;) You probably prevented the next wall ornament from decorating the Moab landscape because this guy with his 3000 skydives does not respect BASE or what he thinks he is getting into.

You and Gunns will be ready to walk the rice paper soon young grasshoppers!B|

You are right on. Its her rig! If she only wants to sell it to a non smoker 4' tall midget with green hair and a cock ring then thats her business. I know the guys that have been mentoring her and yes I am POSITIVE they checked her out!! I think the thread is a good thread and the different views are great as well as yours but to PM her and get bent seems a bit ridiculuous. Hey Brand still waiting to see some pics from you and gun from the Falls.

If she only wants to sell it to a non smoker 4' tall midget with green hair and a cock ring then thats her business.

Abbie already has a rig.

Good on you Brandy. I don't know what this guy's problem is. Maybe he has problem with women's (your) authority. Smart base jumpers since the begining of the sport have restricted access to BASE by not selling gear to wahoos. Anyone who has a problem with that is the problem and doesn't get it.

Congrats to you.

I respect your choice! Luckily I've already found someone else who is willing to sell me a BASE canopy. It's a Diobla 150 and the guy selling says it's perfect to start out with.

Now all I gotta do is find me a rig and a reserve...

Edit. Oh wait... I don't need a reserve. I forgot all about that hahaha :$

Psssst...just trying to make a point here. No need to worry.