JaapSuter

Is this a good helmet for BASE?

Good or Bad?

I'm mostly concerned about the ears sticking out, but it seems so much more slimline than others.

Do you think it would still catch? What about cutting off the ears and tucking them underneath?

Should be fine I would think.......

what do you reccomend for underwear, too???

I never wear underwear. That way, if I shit my pants I won't have to clean 'm.

You guys think it's funny but one time, on a base jump, I used the wrong helmet.

WHAT HELMET WAS THAT ?? :o
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Jaap has come full circle. He was once the eager newbie, getting ridiculed by the jaded "old-timer" jumpers for asking every question that popped into his head.

Now, he's the jaded old timer who is ridiculing the newbies.

I can hear Darth Vader in the background somewhere: "The circle is complete--now I am the master..."
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

My guess is it wasn't the Mickey Mouse Helmet...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Jaap has come full circle. He was once the eager newbie, getting ridiculed by the jaded "old-timer" jumpers for asking every question that popped into his head.

Now, he's the jaded old timer who is ridiculing the newbies.

I can hear Darth Vader in the background somewhere: "The circle is complete--now I am the master..."

Pff, whatever. I'm not an old timer, I'm still a newbie. And always will be.

But even when I had zero jumps, I still had common sense, knew how to use the friggin' search button, and always errored on the side of having too much protection instead of less. Heck, I asked Vertigo if it was wise to buy body-armor for my FJC at the Perrine. Overkill? Maybe...

How many more BASE jumpers do I need to see wearing Teva's and a skydiving helmet? I'm getting sick and tired of it to be honest. They're going to break their legs, tailbones and skulls and it's me who has to face the image of BASE being a dangerous sport.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying my medieval knight's armor will keep me from dying, but it does a pretty good job keeping me intact most of the time.

If you can't see the difference between the shoes posted and the Hanwag, Crispis and other 'proper' boots out there, that says a whole lot about the rest of your approach to BASE. Call my cynical and piss on my grave.

Furthermore, I can't remember any occasions where I got ridiculed for asking beginner questions. The only thing I've ever been ridiculed for was my excitement, and to be honest; they were always spot on. That said, I still enjoy seeing excitement on these forums. So keep it coming guys; I'll join ya!

Just remember; everytime somebody brakes an ankle in Moab because we weren't wearing proper shoes, legalized Yosemite is thrown back a couple of months.

Wise up people, use a condom!

Good or Bad?

I'm mostly concerned about the ears sticking out, but it seems so much more slimline than others.

Do you think it would still catch? What about cutting off the ears and tucking them underneath?

Should be fine I would think.......

I think you should speak to faber ... He has a really stylish BASE helmet and boots .... :P

Jimmy,try not to shave whith the big razor as your in freefall:ph34r: Glad you didnt loose your ear,then you had to jump that mickey helmet:P

Ha ha spot on Tom:ph34r::D

James,i dont think Jaap speaks to me anymore as he dont resopnd on msn after serval notes...
I can tell you gonna love my new hat(i get them as of newyear) i promise to post pics soon as it has been jumped:P Merry xmas bro.. you still owe me a ride on one of your kayakies(spell i know:ph34r:)

Jaap you´ll be just fine,dont worry,just make sure its on video:P:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

diapers are great underwear for base jumps! ;)
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I believe piisfish was asking what brand of helmet left him unprotected to make a gash like that. I would like to know myself.

Oh man, I don't think that's funny at all bro since I have seen that first hand. My old girlfriend had a wound like that! Not sure how a helmet would have helped though.;)

Ok, enough joking around.

I actually got a gash that was similar in location, but not nearly so deep, jumping a full face RW helmet (it was an Oxygen A3, if I remember the model correctly) with the visor removed. I took a relatively sharp stick through the face opening, and it slid down the side of my face, slashing it open.

Helmets help stack the odds in your favor. No protection is perfect.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Face wounds are totally gross. It sucks ass that even with a full face sans shield you got sliced though. That is why I don't even jump with one. I went hundreds of feet down a mountain and nothin'. I am still as pretty/ugly as before. Not to say that my slash isn't coming faster now that I ruined my karma.

Tom,

Maybe if you adjust your opening altitude that may help with the sticks in the face:)
Party On!

James,i dont think Jaap speaks to me anymore as he dont resopnd on msn after serval notes...
I can tell you gonna love my new hat(i get them as of newyear) i promise to post pics soon as it has been jumped:P Merry xmas bro.. you still owe me a ride on one of your kayakies(spell i know:ph34r:)

Faber ... i'm getting my sh*t together ready for a year of fun and chaos ... you are always welcome here and i'll let you play with the kayakies :P ...

Seriously though PM me and let me know when the weather is likely to improve over in Denmark (March time ??) and we'll organise a weekend of jumping - i'm just waiting for my new rig to get here at the moment :)
By the way i love the 180' FF videos but we're going to have to climb A LITTLE HIGHER for the first few for me ... Otherwise you can wait at 180' and get the FF video as i come past ... (I'll be the scared looking one !!!) ...

Have a great Xmas and New Year !!!!

James

Ps let me have your address and i'll send you a present !!!

I don't think Jaap speaks to me anymore as he doesn't respond on msn after several notes...

Dude, I'm totally here man! Just give me a call. Cellphone: vancouver area code + 313 + first name

It sucks ass that even with a full face sans shield you got sliced though. That is why I don't even jump with one.

I'm sure you are well aware of this, but I wanted to point it out anyway; that's pretty poor reasoning... :)
Then again, I once knew a guy who contracted HIV through a blood transfusion. He had always practiced safe sex.

That's why I won't use condoms anymore... :S:P

Come on Jaap, stay with me man. Joke, Joke. You should see the shit I wrap myself in. It's freaking cold here!!!

Come on Jaap, stay with me man. Joke, Joke. You should see the shit I wrap myself in. It's freaking cold here!!!

Sorry, I just wasn't entirely sure. English isn't my first language, so sometimes my irony and sarcasm detectors don't work as sophisticated as I'd like.

I hear ya about the cold man, winter sucks... :)