NickDG

Potato Record . . .

Average BASE openings are not equal to average skydiving openings. Especially if the camera flyer is jumping a canopy known for soft openings.

I still jump a Sabre and a hard opening on that is still about normal for a four second slider down BASE opening.

I still jump a Sabre and a hard opening on that is still about normal for a four second slider down BASE opening.

Well, there's your problem. Four seconds slider down? The novelty of even three seconds wore off for me by the time I had thirty jumps! But then, I'm all soft and stuff.

:)

From what I know the media is being herded by Miles' "people" and the media is getting into it big time. I found it slightly entertaining that on the day the Dalai Lama visited the Wood River Valley in Idaho, not only did Mile share the front page with his Holiness, but Miles got more room on the front spread.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" ~Adam Savage

Four seconds slider down?

Yep. If I'm only doing one jump that night and I want the freefall but don't want the issues related to a three to four second slider up opening, I'll take four slider down.

Sure. But you won't see me doing that often. Once I pitched at four seconds and had a PC hesitation that lasted just under one full second. hehe. RUNG MY BELL!

Even though many of you on this forum in the past have grossly misjudged Miles' personality and ethics, Tree, it is nice to see you all being positive toward him for once.
When you get to know Miles D you will see how perfectly fitting it is that he shares the paper with someone like the Dalai Lama. His positivety, enthusiam and sense of humor are infectious. Someone we could all learn from.
I'm still gonna pack him a line over just for fun though.

Here is a link with more details on the current record

Miles, let me know if I can help in any way (cash or prize donations to your charity, etc.). Cya.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

I found it slightly entertaining that on the day the Dalai Lama visited the Wood River Valley in Idaho, not only did Mile share the front page with his Holiness, but Miles got more room on the front spread.

wow.
that, just, well, doesn't seem right...

but back to Miles.
I'm betting he'll do fine and wish him the best.
hopefully all involved will show the enthusiasm Miles is known for.

can't wait to see how it gets covered!
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Hi Shane. How much is Red Bull pledging per jump? In my estimation Red Bull has never done anything FOR the BASE community, and has only used base for marketing itself. This is an opportunity for Red Bull to actually contribute something positive to the sport.

I'm trying to look past the obvious self promotion that is attached to this charity event. Or is it the charity event attached a self promotion? You be the judge. Either way I do see it as some positive press for base. Hopefully Miles will be too winded to give too much woo hoo.

No one will believe that the line over was intentional. If you want to really have fun disconnect a riser, or stow the toggles (jongles for you) on the opposite risers. ;)

Oh Tree, you're such a negative Nancy.
Didn't Red Bull sponsor Bridge Day? Oh yea! Yes as a matter of fact they did!
Has Mountain Dew ever done anything FOR the base community? What's wrong with using a sport to market itself? That's what all these sponsors are doing? Duh! What about any company who uses athletes to promote their products? What they do is support the projects of their athletes just like Red Bull does. Sometimes a company will also get involved and put on an event for a particular sport which would be considered FOR the community of that sport and not just for the company's athletes. Just like Red Bull does. I doubt you will ever see any more base "community" support from Red Bull other than the projects they line up for their athletes considering all the crying base jumpers do about them.
When has it ever been the responsibility of a company when using any sport to promote their products to do something for the "community" of that sport? Answer: When it benefits the company enough they usually turn around and reward the people in that sport who helped them. Is this the community or is it their athletes? In Red Bull's case it is their athletes and if you disagree I'm sure Red Bull won't give a shit simply because of all the mud base jumpers have slung at them.
By the way, Miles' wife is an occupational therapist. (I'll explain that for you Tree. She does physical therapy for disabled children.) Miles and his wife are very good people who care about others more so than 99% of our population. Miles is a professional base jumper. This is what he does for a living. Is this a self promotion? Of course it is. What's wrong with that? He's an athlete. That's what they do. Its also a charity event for disabled children. What's wrong with using these two concepts together to do something really cool and fun as all hell. Without both ideas its not nearly as cool of an idea. OK Finished.

Yeah, right on Miles.

Good luck!

As some motivation:

One of our local ski tourers (Greg Hill), toured a million vertical feet last winter. Biggest day: 40, 000 ft.

So, 25k should be no problem right?!? You don't even have to ski down, slacker!

-- Briggs. (1st student of Miles D's Base camp)

Oh yeah, and as regards the sponsored athlete thing:

In my experience of spending a fair bit of time around sponsored atheletes... the complaints about what they are getting "for free" from their sponsors are usually tinged with a fair amount of jelousy.

And if you actually sit down to work out the economics of it, it's actually way more work for Shane / Miles / Will / Othar to set up all the logistics of some sort of "cool" thing and pull it off, to get a free pair of skis, a canopy , a few bucks, and a case of RB that it is for me to just go work and then buy all that shit and pay for the cool trip myself.

Think about it, next time you are all upset about people getting free shit that yer not.

Think about it, next time you are all upset about people getting free shit that yer not.

Look pal, no offence but I don't think you know your history. What caused a lot of negativity towards Red Bull sponsored jumpers was one selfish prick who went around the world, didn't call the locals but did call as much media as possible. It wasn't Miles and it wasn't Shane.

If any good for any disadvantaged kid comes out of this then I don't really give a shit about who does or doesn't get any publicity out of it. If anything its stopped Shane from writing like a sk8trboi which is an achievement of its own.

Now all of you go out there on Friday and help Miles out, give him a footrub or a handjob or anything to help keep him going!B|

Personally, I think the 22 jumps Gary Cunningham made in 8 hours from KL tower march 2004, all packed by himself (!), are much more impressive.

8 hours x 3 = 24 hours;

22 jumps (self packed) x 3 =66 jumps
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

In my experience of spending a fair bit of time around sponsored atheletes... the complaints about what they are getting "for free" from their sponsors are usually tinged with a fair amount of jelousy.

In my experience this has not been the case in BASE. In BASE jumping, most of the complaints about these jumpers have been due to things like site burning, death camping, etc.

I've heard some sponsored people trying to pass this off as "it's just jealousy". I don't believe that to be the case. Take a look at Jeb Corliss, for example, or Troy Hartmann. The BASE community has exhibited virtually zero "jealousy" in those cases, mostly because those guys are generally behaving in an ethical manner, from a BASE viewpoint.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Death Camp 2005 will be taking place during Miles' record thingy in front of all the media he has there mid day, from the top rail, with water skis on. Probably drunk.

If you want to really have fun disconnect a riser, or stow the toggles (jongles for you) on the opposite risers. ;)

Im a little worried, Trees been in this sport long enough to know they're yonkles,not jongles:|
~J:P
~by the way, what would happen if you stowed the yonkles on the opposite risers...uh, I mean seatbelts:S....but really?
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

It would lenghten the distance from stow to canopy, giving a deeperer brake setting. Probably resulting in a severely stalled canopy.

~by the way, what would happen if you stowed the yonkles on the opposite risers

GB shows us how to do it about 30 seconds into Neil Q's trailer for Dead Air Dummies II

Even though he is seriously underloading his canopy these days there were no obvious problems - deploying at several hundred feet in daylight probably helped!

Jules

Actually, I do think that a responsible company will do things that help improve the sports they use for their marketing. When I say community, I don't mean whats in it for me, I mean what are they doing to help the sport iteself. Red Bull uses base for its marketing, albeit a very small part of their marketing. They get to do this for a pittance compared to what it costs to work with other sports, because a few base jumpers will sell out for a few cool free jump trips and a case of their canned piss. OK, maybe a small allowance. These jumpers will do anything for a glint of fame, and I say glint becasue as much as they would like to think differently, nobody knows or gives a fuck about base outside of base. Ask a kid about skateboarding and Tony Hawk, and then about BASE and ANY jumper by name. Get it?

Sponsoring Bridge Day is not what I was talking about as that is another marketing opportunity. This is an event to raise money for a cahrity, and possibly bring some positive PR to BASE. A pledge by Red Bull would alltruistic (Shane, That means they would do it just to be a good corporate citizen) So how much is Red Bull pledging? A dollar a jump? $10, $100.00?

On the subject of "Professional Base jumper". I understand that everyone wants to make a living off of what they like to do. Thats great. Just try not to do it in such a way that you fuck over all of the other folks who also do it just for the fun of it.

*** Death Camp 2005 will be taking place during Miles' record thingy in front of all the media he has there mid day, from the top rail, with water skis on. Probably drunk.

There we go Shane, a comment you can really be proud of. Nothing like a little rebellion in the morning. You bad, bad boy. You are so cool. :S

Dear Shane,

Please post information about how individuals can make pledges and how to get the money to Miles' wife thereafter.

Thanks.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Right on, Miles D! Keep your eye on the prize...wish I was up there , but I have to work. Pete.

If you want to really have fun disconnect a riser,

... :| thats not even remotley funny.. not even for a second.. youre making a joke about killing someone.. fucking uncool and lame, both at the same time...

Ask a kid about skateboarding and Tony Hawk, and then about BASE and ANY jumper by name.

as a side note, we had an 8 yearold soccer team in the studio a few days ago (im a photographer by day..) and i have some bridge day pictures on the wall next to some freefly, and one kid says "hey look, skydiving" and points at the bd pic.. and his buddy next to him says "no thats base jumping because it is off a bridge, or span.." intelligent kid...

This should have been posted earlier but as I am probably the only one involved with the event who ever checks out this forum and I have been in the southern hemisphere for the last week now I guess is better than never.
Call the Magic Valley Regional Medical Center Foundation at (208) 737-2482. Also during the event (Midnight to Midnight, the entire 16th) you can call (208) 404-1039. I believe at either # you can pledge and pay. They will know more about it than me.

I'll donate $50 for every line-over he has.;)

All kidding aside, I'm going to give them a call and donate.

PS. I did a live radio show in Charleston, WV today for Bridge Day and I mentioned Miles attempt to set the BASE jump 24 hour record. Even the rednecks here in the hills are excited about it. Good luck dude.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Hi,
Mile's, We wish You Great Luck Tomorrow !
We'll be Thinking and Praying that every Jump goes well.
50 Jump's is Very Impressive !
Just try not to go to Deep.
Then you'll be OK !

Gerald Harendza
BASE # 75
and Beverly