TomAiello

Wheelchair Jump

that recovery pc.. how much can it hold? a case of beer?

Quite a bit, actually. That round was designed for recovery of model rockets. And with a 5' diameter, I'm not talking about your ordinary ones made of cardboard and balsa wood.

that way you guys wont have fun teasing Abbie(so he carry emty beer to lz) and all could go stowed

Where's the fun in that? Abbie exists for our amusement and abuse. Nick's replacement of a full beer with an empty one in Abbie's BOC was well done.

-C.

Funniest quote:

Actually, I'm partial to the little whuffo kid you hear in the background at the beginning of the first clip: "Why don't they just push him off?"

-C.

Where's the fun in that?

as you already figured Abbie dont like beers,so just make sure his can is a rootbeer,or what ever that name is for that poison you serv to kids:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Wow, that s really brillaint! total respect.

Although, the PCA looks really doubtful to me.

Although, the PCA looks really doubtful to me.

We had some concerns about the stability of the wheelchair in freefall, so it was decided that a PCA would be best to do first. Russel still has some plans to try stowed freefall with the wheelchair.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I was actually talking about the deployment of the canopy. looks like the PC was released too soon. canopy is partially inflated with a partially inflated PC at first. but the guys at Bridge Day probably knew what they were doing.

I definitely reckon PCA was the best way to go. Going hand held might be a bit too crazy. Stowed is just mental.

>>Stowed is just mental.<<

There was a time when "BASE" was "just mental . . ."

NickD :)BASE 194

I was actually talking about the deployment of the canopy. looks like the PC was released too soon. canopy is partially inflated with a partially inflated PC at first.

???

I think that your understanding of proper PCA technique may be a bit different from mine. Could you start another thread (or, if it's ok, I'll split this one off--let me know) and describe proper PCA technique for me?

I believe (and teach) that the bridle should be used to bring the canopy to line stretch. This minimizes the chance of damaging the PC. I've seen numerous PC's torn apart by PCA's where the force was transmitted through the apex of the PC.

See this post by BASE 428 for the general technique I use. I've also recently started using a technique shown to me by DexterBASE, where the "backup" hand also holds a fold of bridle (rather than the PC), and the PC is left dangling below that hand, which pretty much completely eliminates the chance of damaging the PC.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

>>Sports N' Spokes is another magazine that would probably love to run a story about Russel.<<

I'd be honored to write it for you, Russel. Of course, it would be filled with superlatives and hyperbole, but Phuck 'em if they can't see the truth of it . . .

Going hand held might be a bit too crazy.

*might* be too crazy? He has to roll the wheelchair. What would he hold the PC with, his cock?

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

First laugh out loud today, thanks Abbie . . .

Hey all, I just wanted to say thanks for all the support and to everyone that helped out!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I wouldn't be able to do any of this without all the help everyone has given me. I'd still be sitting on the road side of the railing watching all you guys and gals climb over and jump!

Anyway...thanks a bunch!!! :)

"Why don't they just push him off?"

That was really funny! It would be even funnier to actually do one day. :D:D
And Tom's quote was another good one. :D

I knew Russel was tough the day he came to our house for dinner. We have a very uphill driveway and he called to say he was here. I went out expecting to go down the hill and get him. I opened the door and there he was . . .

[ Russel still has some plans to try stowed freefall with the wheelchair.

farkin' sweet.....

Russel,
Awesome achievement - to all involved.
But I was most impressed with your exit technique - the precise control of the chair on exit was fantastic, you stayed head-high perfectly! I know you must spend most of your waking life in the chair, but this was a pretty specialized manoever - what practivce did you do for this? Did you practice into a pool or anything like that, or did you just use your experience and judgement for the exit??
Keep on breaking new ground, but dont let that ground break you!!

Hobbes: "How come we play 'War' and not 'Peace'?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."

what practivce did you do for this? Did you practice into a pool...

I went off like I usually go down curbs. So I've had quite a bit of practice doing that maneuver. I actually did practice quickly into my pool at home. I have a 2 foot ledge on one side. I went off the ledge into the pool to try to get an idea of body position. Although a 2 foot drop into water just doesn't prepare you for 486 feet. ;)

Well, you made it look like the 4" curbs and 2 foot pool drop were perfect preperation for the 486 feet! Plus the fact that your nerves and nuts are obviously made from the same material as your wheelchair frame!!!
Respect!
Nick

Hobbes: "How come we play 'War' and not 'Peace'?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."

I forsee a wheelchair GAINER maybe a year from now...way to go Russel!B|

Damn, talk about pressure!:o
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

The next step is to think of some sort of a flare system for the wheelchair parachute. Automatic? Hey, how about a remote control flare system? :)

I actually think that if a jumper were to be connected to the chair and flared at the right time it COULD be survivable. However Russel's legs have atrophied over time and any impact could prove diasterous. A chair that is constructed specifically for this with air filled tires and substantial shock systems, Russel could get closer to landing on land. This of course would be an elaborate set up which has its own set of evil monkeys to deal with. Progression in his abilities and testing of new technology could lead to an uneventful (meaning no mal's) jump, this process should go into some serious R&D to beconsidered "safe" for Russel.

Nic

btw.. Russel you kick ass, thank you for letting me be apart of your BASE career.:)