NickDG

Check This . . .

Count me in, for any of the above plans. I'll be there! I can provide two extra rigs for non-jumping decoys.

Does anybody with a solid reputation and organizing experience want to start something?

Does anybody with a solid reputation and organizing experience want to start something?

What? As opposed to Abbie!?!? :D;) Just kidding both of you. I'm all over his plan.
-C.

Sorry, didn't mean to take a stab at Abbie here. I think that there is great potential and support for an act of civil disobedience. However, I also think that, all bravado aside, such a plan should not be taken lightly and be approached with the utmost care. If anybody were to get hurt on such a protest jump, it would set us back many years. In my opinion that implies setting minimum requirements for jumpers, in terms of accountability, trustworthiness and experience. I would rather see ten jumpers and fifty decoys, than sixty jumpers. Imagine the political turmoil such an invite-only event could cause in the North American base community.

I won't jump El Cap as long as it is illegal. The potential consequences are not worth the jump to me. However, the cause transcends the jump. I'll happily play decoy, get arrested, have my gear confiscated and spend money on a fine.

Tell me when, and I'll be there.

"Dare to do things worthy of imprisonment if you mean to be of consequence." - Decimus Junius Juvenalis

Knew what you were saying, man. I was just playing with the additional banter that should be in a separate forum. ;) (See? Did it again.)

I like Abbie's take on it all, particularly this statement:

This isn't about you or how totally wicked your uber low terminal pull looked, but having 200 "uneventful" BASE jumps happen off one site.

It's not a stab at any jumpers out there individually. It's they way we'll win this and jump legally.

As for your ability to jump NPS lands, you know what I'm willing to do. Name the time and place.
-C.

I can provide two extra rigs for non-jumping decoys.

actually, that may not be necessary.
everyone should wear the same thing, such as a black pro-tec, jeans, and an orange t-shirt printed for the event. they DON'T wear a rig, just a stash bag (again, all the same) stuffed with whatever. could be protest banners. even have a spare "kit" bag for the actual jumpers. (heck hide your real gear. you MIGHT avoid confiscation...)

I'm betting a manufacturer would be happy to sew up 100 identical stash bags...

non-jumpers would be welcome.

unless they had good video set up, I doubt they could tell us apart...
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

orange t shirts dont exactly fit in with the wilderness, unless of course u are hunting. camo, maybe a little agressive, but a nice forrest green t shirt with just the right amount of protest speach on it, can aid in avoiding detainment.

this event, should it happen, should NOT occur on a holiday weekend, ie labor day. I believe they up the ranger patrol on those high traffic weekends. plus it might cause a traffic accident;).

the point of the orange IS to be visible! I envisage more people on the ground than in the air! aunts, cousins, whuffo's, significant others, etc. can all participate.

remember the point of a protest IS to draw attention!

heck, just people hiking the trails in this outfit, chatting with other visitors would be helpful.

after reviewing another post, 24 July 2006 sounds like a great day... the 40th anniversary of the first bust!
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

[. In my opinion that implies setting minimum requirements for jumpers, in terms of accountability, trustworthiness and experience. i]

Lets not forget that each jumper should be very current with both gear and jumps. No point repeating the mistakes of the past.

Wow, I awoke this morning to find an idea has sprouted wings.

This may sound sappy, but I love you guys, and I'm proud to be associated with each of you . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

How about also making it a charity jump ??? I'd like to see how the NPS or judge could generate negative publicity about a large event which also raised money for a good cause !!!! :P

How about also making it a charity jump ??? I'd like to see how the NPS or judge could generate negative publicity about a large event which also raised money for a good cause !!!!

With the $20k figure Abbie proposed, we donate the remaining amount to a charity, after any of those pesky legal fees or fines imposed on us by the NPS.

"Well, we had $20k, but X amount of that went to 'overhead'..."

-C.

Has everybody forgotten about this? Has anything happened since? I just stumbled upon this thread. I would love to help out with any organizing. The charity idea sounds great to me! Just need a cause.... Aside from legal jumps.

Well. Lets make that a date. Is that an open invite? I would love to celebrate with you.

If its ok with you, I'd love to organise a large CRW formation record there too!!!! Anyone for a speed stack? ;) No, I'm not joking. I'm f*(&ing serious...

Funny, I wreckon they'll have the national guard in on that day. Maybe USA customs (fingerprint and photo - or at that time they will just take DNA and record your chip implant data as you whizz past).

We are magic boys and girls, we are the very embodiment of what is best about the human spirit, and the only thing stopping us is us . . .

Nick - and we will become more so as big brother and all this crap about freedom and security leads us well beyond our Orwellian futures.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

NickDG!!!!!!! Build it and we will come.

Lets do this thing, not just talk about it.
SONIC BEEF #1 BASE 708, NC BASE 3
SLI,IADI,AFFI.TIE.FAA Rigger, Single & Multi Commercial Pilot,CFI, CFII, MEI

<<<>>>

Sounds good. We just passed up the 40th anniversary of my El Cap jump last month.
In theory, there is no difference bretween theory and practice. In practice, however, there is. -

"RIP Forever Brian Schubert. Always remembered, Never forgotten" - Leroy DB
http://www.johnny

nick,
you should offer us each a free rig & canopy to jump.
then everyone could have the same colors and logo.
blaine

you'all hear about the 3 paragliders being busted last year for kiting in toulome meadows? apparently getting three feet off the ground is aerial delivery. they'd probably bust 200 people packing just the same.:S

NPS has a "conspiracy to commit aerial delivery (or operating an aircraft)" charge they'll throw at you just for having a rig, and they don't treat it much differently than having witnessed you make a jump. Just a warning.