JaapSuter

Remote Backcountry Parachuting

Hey guys,

this post is not related to the ABP, but a question about planning and executing trips to remote exit-points and landing areas. To illustrate, consider the following scenario...

The jump-site involves a 30 mile logging road only drivable using a 4x4. This is followed by a four hour hike up. The landing area is on the other side of the mountain, meaning a hike, bushwhack and scramble of at least six hours back to the car parking spot.

Cell coverage is non-existent. You're accompanied by groundcrew that will climb to the exit-point and then walk back down to the car. Helicopter rescue is, once they are contacted, available quickly. However, actually contacting a helicopter rescue would take a while, considering how long it would take to get back to an area with cell-phone coverage.

My question is mostly about how the jumper can prepare for the jump, the following six hour hike, and any eventualities that might occur. A base jumper can only carry so much gear on him, so I'm wondering if anybody has any advice or those neat tips and tricks that come with experience.

Here are my ideas:

1. Find a slim camel-bag. During the jump, you can put it on in reverse so it hangs on your chest, under a jacket. This way it doesn't interfere with pin-tension as much, and it should provide ample water or energy drink for the hike back.

2. A fanny-pack with miscellaneous things (army-knife, dental-floss, shoe-laces, plasters, painkillers, lighter, two-way radio, spare batteries, a couple of power-bars, compass, map of the area, GPS device, small LED-flashlight, cellphone, whistle, little bit of toilet-paper). That sounds like a lot, but you'd be surprised how much you can cram into a fanny pack if you arrange it correctly.

3. One of those insulation foil blankets tightly folded up put down my pants.

4. I imagine I could tape some stuff around my ankles and put my pants over it (to avoid snag), but I'm not sure what else I would need. I could bring more water that way.

Ofcourse, this is on top of the usual; body armour, rope, range-finder, etcetera. Groundcrew will take all that but the body armour back down.

Does anybody else have some good advice, additions, or tips and tricks to add to this?`

Thanks,

Jaap Suter

i think you should spread the gear over a few differnt people and not try to carry it all yourself
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Does anybody else have some good advice, additions, or tips and tricks to add to this?`

I'd make sure you REALLY have the experience both in BASE and in the wilderness to do it safely.

Bringing an EMT would be a good idea...

Satellite phone??

Most importantly, Don't fuck up.

have fun,
pope

Most importantly, Don't fuck up.

Okay, let's not get too responsible here, where is your sense of adventure? ;)

I like the satellite phone idea, that would significantly reduce the amount of time to bring in a helicopter. I'll have look around and see if they can be rented. They are rather pricey.

Funny you mention this. I was considering a scouting mission in a VERY remote region of the Lone Star this weekend (fell through for other reasons).

I was trying to think of what I would want to have with me along similar lines. Your list is very good, I'd add a signalling mirror and a glowstick or two. I'd also bring a miner's light as well. The led should really only be a backup light source, not a primary one.

Basically what you want is enough stuff to take care of yourself if things go to $%^. The shoelaces would be good for a tourniquet, for example. Some bandages and a small roll of medical tape would be good.

Some water purification tablets, and perhaps one of those little wire saws might also be a good idea.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

A serious first aid kit, to leave in the car. And some lighter first aid supplies to jump with.

I'd recommend some prescription painkillers if you can get them. It sucks to be waiting for rescue for hours without them (from experience, that bit).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Funny you mention this. I was considering a scouting mission in a VERY remote region of the Lone Star this weekend

That's like what, 90% of the state right?
pope

Last year when SBCMAc and I had to minimalize or gear to fit under wingsuits we went down to:

Headlamp for the eventually inevitable hike down

Space blanket for unplanned bivy

platypus, camelbak which you taped around your calf and put the hose around your waist like a belt

radio

smallest low profile fanny pack you have

and signal mirror

I think thats about it.

a Satilite phone and first aid kit with ground crew is great but there is a level of commiment to which t you know you can't bring some things along so you plan accordingly.

of course this jump was just like 20 min drive on a dirt road followed by 4-5 hr hike with 45min hike out from LZ.

Hopefully SBCMAc can throw in some more pointers. Also never dump your remaining water until you know your jumping and always carry enough water those dehydration head aches and bouts nasuea at exit point suck.

Oh yeah if it will be a fairly frequent site hike up some supplies and cache them for later use.
take care
Gabe

Left and Up:)

what I've done in the past is to carry everything in a soft frame back pack, including a light sleeping bag,don't forget ample food supply, also a waterpump with a filter, you never know when the weather can turn bad on you, for the jump you put all gear in the back pack and adjust it so it hangs low on the body then cover it up with a long sleeve sweat shirt , then put you rig on last, also most rigs have a place on the main lift web at the mud flab where you can attatch seperating D-rings for Tersh or a carry bag. have funB|

Jaap have you thought about investing in Apex's Para Pak 2? 3300cu. in. of cargo space fully expanded. I've never actually seen one or know anyone that has jumped one but it might be a good way to carry a bunch of stuff.

While I am sure that the Para Pack is a great rig and works as intended, I prefer having a single dedicated tool for the job at hand. One can safely stow away fairly large backpacks without introducing extra risks.

Admittedly, the parapack can be jumped when loaded as well, which can't be done with a regular backpack (without introducing risks). Still, it's not something that really interests me.

Cell coverage is non-existent.

just like aerials & wingsuit jumps, maybe you should consider some survival training before the jump?

don't let survival sans cell phone become a lost art!
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

just like aerials & wingsuit jumps, maybe you should consider some survival training before the jump?

Don't worry. I've spend my fair share of time in the woods and mountains. The post was really intended to ask about what kind of things base throws in the mix, mostly because of the limited amount of gear one can carry through flight.

Yeah, I definitely agree. That said, that shouldn't be a reason not to consider bringing a sattelite phone. I mean, if they exist, you might as well, right?

Also, the power of the mind is quite a large component in survival. It helps that I'm completely nuts, so I don't stand a chance from the get go. Ha! :D

Come down to Seattle... We'd love to have you join us, you're so close to us :)
99% of our jumps are back country... We would be more than happy to show you how we do it and tell you our past mistakes. Our crew has definitely learned from our good and bad experiences...

BATMAN - (A.K.A. SBCmac ...)

Dont need a SAT phone every weekend? Just rent it. There has beena time or two I would have paid a hell of a lot more that than the 39.95 it costs to rent one for a weekend!

http://www.outfittersatellite.com/rentals.htm

We would be more than happy to show you how we do it and tell you our past mistakes. Our crew has definitely learned from our good and bad experiences...

shhhhhhh!!!!!!!! Some of our mistakes have been a little...umm... er.... embarassing.

There's way too much writing on this thread,so i have no idea what you're talking about. But whatever it is, my only advice is to take a camera and jump just before the sun goes down or just before it comes up. Then show the video so everybody knows what you did.

Like you said, if it's not on video...

I have no idea what you're talking about either. Are you replying to my post, or the thread in general?

You'd be surprised how much stuff you can stash in a baggy pair of pants. The weight has little effect on your flight, and the bulk might actually help your track.

Another thought, if you were actually doing something very remote and needed supplies, would be to do two hikes. First one, just bring in a bunch of supplies and cache them at the bottom of the jump. Next time, hike in to the top and jump.

Michael

Yeah, I definitely agree. That said, that shouldn't be a reason not to consider bringing a sattelite phone. I mean, if they exist, you might as well, right?

Also, the power of the mind is quite a large component in survival. It helps that I'm completely nuts, so I don't stand a chance from the get go. Ha! :D

If you're gonna have a sat phone, don't forget the GPS.

Jaap have you thought about investing in Apex's Para Pak 2? 3300cu. in. of cargo space fully expanded. I've never actually seen one or know anyone that has jumped one but it might be a good way to carry a bunch of stuff.

i have made nearly a dozen jumps using Moe's version of the ParaPak and will pass along my experiences to anyone that asks.
i also have recently had the chance to "play with" Moe and Todd's new version of the ParaPak 2. The PP2 has some significant improvements over the original and is quite a sweet tool for a specific task

No jumps on the new version............... yet.

Be safe

kleggo
[email protected]

Hey Jaap,

I presume that this is related to the picture that you posted of the cliff.

I'm guessing it's either in the interior ranges or the coast. Looks like granite. I'd like to say the Bugs... but there are other places which would have similar geology, valley shapes and vegitation.

Anyway, most such areas sit in Heli Ski Tenure in BC... if you've got a radio (if you don't the Vertex VX 150 is a good buy... radioworld.ca in TO), then just have a radio company who deals with heli skiing or guides set you up (Tridon Communications in Banff can do this). Or just find out who flys / works in the area and get their frequency.

If there is a heli ski / hike outfit nearby, then it would make things a whole lot safer to talk to them before and after. If things go bad, they can wisk you away.

Anyway, have fun.

This pic is from the Adamants.