Travman

BASE on Aussie TV

I cut the footage differently on Stoopid BASE deliberately. The side view they show is from a different jump altogether.

Also, if you've seen my little film, you'll notice other snippets that we did not supply them but were in my little film.

Unimpressed. Invoices sent.B|
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

1 mistake though was Jimmy (or the journo) said jimmy like tos spend his weekends jumping this cliff, they said where its located

so next time jimmy goes there at 6am on a satday morning, he might find he has to push pass the spectators.

Cesslon, there's a big difference between naming a site and naming a region.
ie
"...this cliff at *** town/park/lookout/property etc
versus
"...this cliff in **** region/state"

Edited to add: that region contains privately owned areas you can jump with owners permission.
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

I cut the footage differently on Stoopid BASE deliberately. The side view they show is from a different jump altogether.

Also, if you've seen my little film, you'll notice other snippets that we did not supply them but were in my little film.

Unimpressed. Invoices sent.B|

Well done jasmin.
make I'd invoice them for atleast $10k although they'll probably wont pay ya jack lol.
or atleast do what ever they can to get out of it.
when ya get a reply from them, PM me (ya don't have to) so I can have a laugh at what ever they reply with
:ph34r:

I have cleaned this thread up.

Sangiro had to step in here and lock the thread and do some banning as well.

People, it's not so difficult to discuss this in a civil manner, even if you disagree with each other.

There are several important topics here (footage being used without permission, jumpers disagreeing on what is or is not appropriate for television, jumpers giving interviews that push other jumpers into situations they don't want to be in, etc), so I am going to unlock the thread.

If this one degenerates again, it'll just be done for good, so everyone please try to behave in a reasonably adult manner.

Thanks!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Lets not get pedantic. 2 members of the ABA. 1 in Oz - not like the other one didn't get MAJOR TV & media coverage is it...?

Hows Oz Jesse?

Yeah, let’s get pedantic Chris, let’s compare your BASE experience with Jesse’s, lets see who’s more qualified to comment on Aussie BASE.

Having few BASE jumps does not necessarily mean that you are not qualified to formulate an opinion.

Lots of things go into intelligent discussion of a topic--knowledge of the topic is one of them, but there's a lot more. Ability to maintain a civil discourse is also important.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I liked the part where they say that probably no man has taken more risks in this sport then the world famous BASE Jumper...;)
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

I just finished watching the show, thanks for uploading it. :)
Those aussies are seriously talented, they came across well (rational and reasonable) when interviewed too. Even the sports psychologist's bit wasn't bad. Nice of them to feature a quiet American in the show. :D

again thanks for uploading and hosting videos in general
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I'm currently uploading a small version (30 megs instead of 100) for those that don't want to download the big one. Bout 30 mins left...

Dave

Hey guys make sure you play 'spot the fucking seppo'.

It really isn't hard.:P

Dude, he was like so totally rad to the extreme it was sick! :D

Jesse is more qualified. Much more. I don't doubt that for a second. I don't understand however why it means I am not qualified to make a comment.

I wrote that last year there were two high profile deaths of Aussie jumpers. Am I wrong?

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

To CornishChris

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Everyone is also entitled to consider that opinion or not. You have offered your opinion and people have decided not to accept it.

Your facts are not in question, it is your intent and ethics that are in question. There is also some confusion as to what your point actually is.

A few facts. Over the last few years several high profile jumpers eminating from Australia have died. Two of them in particular (DW + Slim), have contributed more to the advancement of the sport of BASE jumping than any other jumpers in the history of the sport. Their contributions have been in such areas as freefall technique, safety, training programs, equipment, event organisation, BASE organisations, improvement in quality of competitors, video production, NP site access, etc. The list goes on. All of these factors contribute to the safety and enjoyment of each and every one of us.

Existing on the leading edge of anything exposes you to risk. These jumpers were on that edge and gave their lives for both their own personal development and the development of the sport.

The fact that they are Australians is not very relevant. I could say that a number of the fatalities in Australia were British & British expat jumpers, as were jumpers in Britain, Norway, etc. And what have their contributions been? But what would be the point?

Again, please specify your point and its relevance to this discussion.

p.s. people should be careful about what they call experienced and inexperienced. Banging out 100 jumps in your first 12 months is certainly AN experience, but it does not necessarily make your experienced. And it certainly does not necessarily mean you are capable of teaching, imparting knowledge, leading the sport. You can however learn from ANY jumper. So consider all opinions and filter the information. Clarify or cross check the information with several sources.

Stay Safe
Have Fun
Good Luck

Tom
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Tom

Good to get a well written, intelligently thought out response.

This has gone slightly further than I had ever expected. It started with me saying [without checking original post], "unfortunately two Aussie jumpers have died in the last year". This was in a discussion about rock fishing and BASE and the various dangers and I was, I thought, correcting the statement that one Aussie jumper had died last year - no other intention at all. I was refering to Slim & Jason FitzHerbert. This was disagreed with and I naively used the word 'pedantic' on an open forum. This then led to some of the worst abuse I have seen flying on dz.com.

I understand how much these people have contributed to the sport, as much as a non BASE jumper can and I had met both of the jumpers named above on several occasions. I was in no way questioning that.

I don't suppose I have a point other than to clarify why offering an opinion in this forum can lead to such abuse. I was trying to put the right statistics in for discussion. If that was out of place then please all accept my apoligies.

I will leave this here.

Be Safe.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

I thought, correcting the statement that one Aussie jumper had died last year - no other intention at all. I was refering to Slim & Jason FitzHerbert. This was disagreed with and I naively used the word 'pedantic' on an open forum. .

Actually Chris, I said I don't believe there had been more then 1 death in australia in any year
and you said I was wrong, but so far I'm yet to be corrected.
I only refferd to deaths in OZ (australia) and not deaths of aussies.

I'll assume you misread my post
:)

in that vid there is a tandam base jump hitting water pretty hard.

was that jump made in oz ?
off a bridge ?
just north of a major city ?

cos when I was little I can remember people saying that they tried a tandam off that bridge once and they hit the water a little to hard and broke some ankles or somthing. is this true ? and if so is the jump in the movie that jump ?
or did I just hear missinformed whuffo talk ??
this was well over 10 years ago that I heard this.

I just watched the video...

Hey guys make sure you play 'spot the fucking seppo'.

It really isn't hard.:P

Please don't assume that's representative. We're not all like that.

I really thought the Aussie jumpers did a fairly good job presenting themselves. I thought the TV folks worked pretty hard to twist things around on them. But then again, I think they knew that was going to happen. Still, a valiant effort from all the Aussies involved, in my opinion.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Forum abuse is one of the scourges of life on the BASE internet. It would be an interesting psychology study. PhD anyone?

It seems to be borne about from paranoia, narrow mindedness, fear of rejection, defensiveness, desire for acceptance from the wider community, desire to remain external to the general community, etc. The attitude is also affected by some negative aspects of life experience in this sport (loss of loved ones or people we respect highly). For some, its just a bit of fun. A game.

And many jumpers experience some/all of these from time to time.

I guess its up to the individual if they want to play the game.

;)

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

That vid was J Rooney and whuffo passenger. There have been two more tandems done from that bridge since then.

Apology:

The comment at the bottom of this post which I posted previously on this thread was not directed at any jumper in particular and was certainly not directed at jumpers mentioned or posting in this thread. I apologise if any individuals have been offended by the comment. Specifically, JP.

It was a generalisation only.

Clarification:

It is a fact, that many people (not all) think they are experts at the 50 to 200 jump mark. This is true in BASE, skydiving, driving cars, and life in general. Especially for younger males. It is the phase where people know enough about the sport to go it alone when attempting the basics, but not nearly enough to do advanced manouvres. Even though many seem to think so. As always, there are exceptions.

Once again, apologies.

--------------------------------------------------------
p.s. people should be careful about what they call experienced and inexperienced. Banging out 100 jumps in your first 12 months is certainly AN experience, but it does not necessarily make your experienced. And it certainly does not necessarily mean you are capable of teaching, imparting knowledge, leading the sport. You can however learn from ANY jumper. So consider all opinions and filter the information. Clarify or cross check the information with several sources.

That vid was J Rooney and whuffo passenger. There have been two more tandems done from that bridge since then.

so was that from a bridge in oz ?
and did any1 break there ankles ?

yes Oz - oh darn, I've given the location away. Sorry.

Nothing broken from memory. Lots of bruising and some concussion.