nicknitro71

Slim's tribute video

Yes, this is really touching. Hard to watch, like a movie you know doesn't have a happy ending, but is a nice tribute.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is Slim who, at the end of the ABA 2003 video, shoots Dwain's ashes with a potato gun for one last jump? Shortly after, you can see Slim limp to the edge and jump off too.

I highly recommend getting a hold of this footage. Not only for this incredible scene, but also for Dwain's "roll the dice" speech he makes right before doing a gnarly jump.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is Slim who, at the end of the ABA 2003 video, shoots Dwain's ashes with a potato gun for one last jump?

You are correct.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Awesome video
what actually causes such a violent off heading opening ?

What actually causes such a violent off heading opening?

Off the top of my head, one or more of the following:

• Assymetry in the pack job

• Unstable or assymetrical body position during deployment

• Pilot-chute oscillations, pulling the canopy to one side during the opening, or inducing a spin during the opening (creating line-twist and/or an offheading). These oscillations are caused by the pitch, the wind, substandard pilot-chute quality, or some unknown random factor.

• Wind factors. Cross winds can easily induce a spin into the canopy during opening.

• Blown toggles. Although the three I've done -slider down on purpose- can not be categorized as violent.

• Chaos theory; any sufficiently complicated process has variables beyond human control. Throw a bunch of lines and fabric in a high velocity and incredibly turbulent airflow, detailed predictions become impossible.

• The shit happens factor. Somewhat in line with the chaos theory factor, but it just stresses that you can do everything right and still get the most violent offheading opening.

The debate on how much these factors come into play is ongoing. I have the impression that beginners like myself tend to overrate the effect of a symmetrical packjob, and end up with excessive origami-ing just to have less gear fear. Some experienced people will tell you that as long as the gist of the packjob is symmetrical, body-position and crosswinds become significantly more important. Obviously, that's not an excuse for sloppy packjobs.

I may have forgotten some factors, but other people will hopefully correct me.

Cheers,

Jaap

well said young jedi
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

This video is truly inspirational. Good job Ray and others who put it together.

Watching Slim and crew jump is like watching the Harlem Globetrotters in action. extremely skilled, lighthearted, and humorous.

There is some education that comes from watching Slim's wall strike from the 250 foot cliff in 2001. Notice how much time he wastes reaching for toggles, all the while he could have been reaching for rear risers. In case of imminent object strike, the rule is to go for rear risers in case whatever is below you is not more dangerous than the object itself.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Slim was always really fast on his toggles. The problem in the jump on the video is that he missed the toggle going for it the first time.

I'm not familiar with the jump on the video, but there are certain times where a riser turn will put you low enough that you will have to land in some shitty terrain. Sometimes on underhung cliffs, a riser 180 can drop you right into the wall below you.

Your EP's should take all this into consideration.

I think Slim said that if he would have had stiffy toggle he proabbly would have been able to get that turned around in time.

I think the real lesson here is: if you're not already jumping stiffy toggles, get them.

Thak You for the link. The video is amazing, and is absolutely inspiring. We'll miss you buddy!!! Fly Safe.

-Nic

>>To me it looks like a high-risk situation; a short G&T or 1sec delay off a cliff. If you watch the shoreline when he jumps, you can see a slight rotation to the left, resulting in a 180 left into the face. Perhaps from dipping a shoulder, the same thing that bit Jeb. In any event, it doesn't look to me like he got enough object seperation on that short delay to recover. What I personally learned from that incident is that body position on short delay solid object jumps is critical, and I'm not good enough to do it yet.

This was Jimmy's take on it, him having been the only person (still alive) that was actually there- "he should've gone for risers."
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

"I was going to hit that cliff with my hands on toggles or my hands on risers. I went for toggles."
--Slim in a conversation with Raistlin in Portland during his visit in 2003.

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;