Treejumps

Being stealth (at warm objects)

Over the weeknd I bumped into a friend I've known for a a few years. He's a good jumper for sure and otherwise seems to take a real good approach to the sport. Camo gear, clothing and the like, all to keep things low key. The thing that bothered me, and the thing that I think could help get me busted, or call attention to an otherwise warm object, was BASE XXX (I don't want to directly identify the jumper with his actual number) on his license tag. Anyone driving through the parking lot of the hotel we were staying at would be immediately alerted to the fact that jumpers were in town. Cops drive through said lot nearly hourly. Additionally, there were people packing in areas open to the public, again, alerting locals to our presence. Sure, maybe nobody cares, but it only takes one person to drop a dime and the heat would be on.

I've got one bust to my name, and would like to not have a second. I really feel that these 2 actions could cause someone to get busted. Not doing these 2 things would have no adverse impact on anyone. I tried to bring up the tags with said jumper, but he either didn't hear what I was saying, or didn't care. The only people who care about your base number on your tags are the cops/rangers/security. Maybe 10 years ago it would be no big deal, but in the modern era of jumping we live in it can only hurt you or your jumping brothers. IF you want to do everything the right way, and I think you do, lose the tags. They will look better on your wall than on your truck, and then it can never be the thing that got someone busted.

Stay cool. :)

I took the U.S.P.A. sticker off my cars window at the advice of a Mr.Hookitt a wise decision I believe.
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Other than certain national parks, on the west and east coast. I would say 99percent of the population wouldn't have a clue as to what it was or meant. I've had my number on my tag since I got it 98 and can say it has never gotten me busted. Now I don't take it to certain areas except certain times of the year, but other than those "warm" places, no local sheriff or tower engineer would make the connection. Now it your tag said "BASEJMPR" that might bring down the heat. I would worry more about exposed packing in known areas than someone's tag. I am oppessed to all the skydiving stickers I see though. That does draw way too much attention. Big crowds on special nights at "warm" objects is enough of a drawback to not even go in the first place :P

peace
MIke

I do have a nice photo of my tag that the speeding camera caught and sent me in the mail! BASE-515 clear as a bell and no mention of my bad habit was atttached to it

:ph34r:

May we live long and die out

Imagine driving into the valley with a plate reading "BASEXXX". I'm looking forward to doing that after I stop jumping. Ought to be good for a few laughs. Or maybe BASE will be allowed by then...
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I agree that most people would never know what it means- all the more reason not to have it on your car, except for fun. In this case, I know the area well and I know that the police are always driving through, and that it only takes 1 phone call to cause a problem. On this particualr weekend it really just seemed like bad idea. I can never help you, but it could hurt you. If sombody had gotten busted, there would be no wat to rule out the tag being a contributor, and I would never want to think that somthing I had done had gotten someone else busted.

YMMV

Having a "BASEXXX" license plate is one thing - but using that vehicle for ground crew is another.

Yes, one of these days I'm gonna drive through Yosemite with my BASE428 license plate and then spread my Mojo 280 out in El Cap meadow and give 'er a good long pack job. I'm not going to jump though. They'd probably lock me up for that.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

They'd probably lock me up for that.

Actually I think it is illegal to even bring a parachute into a National Park. Or is it National Monument...or both. Hmm...anyone know?

I've heard that as well. I think it's one of those rules that isn't enforced that much. But my real question is what would they charge you with? There is illegal aerial delivery, but is there conspiracy to commit illegal aerial delivery as well? Anyone know the code on that one?

I feel sorry for the newbie skydiver who stops by a National Park and forgets he's got a USPA sticker on his bumper and a Wonderhog in the trunk.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

As you hand the ranger at the gate your $20 they hand you back a receipt. With the receipt is a pamphlet of information about the park. Listed in this pamphlet, is a list of activities that are prohibited in in Yosemite.

Nowhere on this list will you see BASE jumping, paragliding, or parachuting.

Anyone have a copy of this pamphlet?

Conspiracy? Since conspiracy takes two, you can't get that if you're alone.

Still, they'd likely get you for attempt, loitering, criminal mischief, trespass, illegal clamming, etc..

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I've long intended to get a BASE579 personalize license plate.

I'll apply for it just after I give up jumping.

So maybe I should get XBASE now? No wait. I was just an ASS jumper. Never mind. I don't like the sound of that one.:P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I'll apply for it just after I give up jumping.

tom when do you plan to stop ?

Camo gear, clothing and the like, all to keep things low key.

I would have thought this is more drawing attention than being low key. By the sounds of your area it is more an urban jump, guessing at night. You would draw more strange looks having camo than it would help. IMHO.

Simply packing my parachute in El Cap meadow in no way means a jump will be made. I've packed my base rig at many airport terminals in the past, but that doesn't mean I'm going to pull a DB Cooper.

Perhaps one of the rangers who monitor this forum could enlighten us as to the type of charges that would be filed?

Also, anyone who wears camo on a BASE jump is also asking for trouble. Unless you're a hunter, the wearing of camo is a dead giveaway in most parts of the country.

There is illegal aerial delivery, but is there conspiracy to commit illegal aerial delivery as well? Anyone know the code on that one?

I believe conspiracy to commit illegal aerial delivery would be a felony, even if the underlying charge was a misdemeanor.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I agree about not wearing camo (unless you are a hunter, militia, weirdo, etc...)

There is illegal aerial delivery, but is there conspiracy to commit illegal aerial delivery as well? Anyone know the code on that one?

I believe conspiracy to commit illegal aerial delivery would be a felony, even if the underlying charge was a misdemeanor.

Didn't Clint have a thread where he said he was charged with having a parachute in his possession 'with intent of committing aerial delivery' into NPS lands? Mind you he was hiking around looking for an exit point when caught, I think....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I agree about not wearing camo (unless you are a hunter, militia, weirdo, etc...)

Must be a lot of them in this part of the US (southeast). If I'm out roamin around in the woods (for some reason), I'll stand out more in city gear like jeans or whatever -- camo is expected. In town, jeans would be fine, although there's a lot of camo in town, too. People here like to advertise that they're a hunter/outdoorsman or whatever.

"Must be a lot of them in this part of the US (southeast). If I'm out roamin around in the woods (for some reason), I'll stand out more in city gear like jeans or whatever -- camo is expected. In town, jeans would be fine, although there's a lot of camo in town, too. People here like to advertise that they're a hunter/outdoorsman or whatever"

I'm not saying camo cant' be acceptable attire for everyday life, out in the woods or in town. I was just having fun with the "weirdo part" :)
When a person is sneaking around an object in the dark with a backpack on there going to look suspicious no matter what there wearing or what state there in. But our meeting points where we plan the load and pile into the GC's car could possibly draw unwanted attention if we were wearing camo. Which over time could lead to unnecessary heat.

Rangers don't bust otherwise innocent vacationing skydivers anymore as they know a Prism from a Vector, and that's because they do Flash Card drills . . .

"Atom!" That's a skydiving rig, sir!"
"Very good, probably a tourist, okay, try this one?"
"Vertigo!"
"Be specific."
"A Wizard! Sir."
"Excellent, this one?"
"Early classic flap rig, sir, possibly BR, maybe CR, an old schooler, sir!"
"Anything else?"
"Old schoolers all limp, and they are easy to catch, sir"
"Outstanding, now watch this one, it's tricky?"
"I got it, sir, that's a Sorcerer!"
"Very good, and this one?"
"It looks like a big X, sir!"
"That's correct, we don't know what they're up to, so we call it rig X.
"Alright, gather up, the next class is how to spot the BASE jumper in a sea of Beaver Cleavers . . .

BASE jumpers are easy to spot because they always . . . ?

NickD :)BASE 194

BASE jumpers are easy to spot because they always . . . ?

Walk around doing practice touches even when they're not wearing rigs?

Transition from boxman to a track while walking down supermarket aisles (while making a whooshing air sound)?

Stop at the top of stairs and assess conditions before going down (while doing practice touches)?

Or maybe that's just me:$. Do I win?

Me too:$
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Haha!!
I'll try the supermarket aisle later. I use curbs as 'exit' points regularly. And yes with said 'wooshing' sounds.

nic