leroydb

tower for sale on ebay 99k for 300ft and land

: Dismantling, moving, and reassembling a tower is going to be very expensive (more than the cost of the tower itself). There have been plenty of towers that were offered "Free" to anyone who would tear it down and haul it away, but it still proved too expensive.
-----------------------------------------------------

This is really the key here. If you started adding up associated costs for even a "free" tower, you would quickly realize that you will probably never make enough money to recoup construction costs, let alone make any money.
We are talking thousands upon thousands of dollars for permits and geological surveys before you ever even get started on construction. Now let's get a crew to pour casons, wait 30 to 45 days for them to dry and pay another company to come test them. Now let's hire a tower company to come stack our tower, but they probably won't do it without a crane.
Ya see what I'm getting at?
You guys are talking big money, even if you could get a tower that is worth a shit for free.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

Whats a crane cost these days?;)
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

I think we need to deathcamp a skydiving tax attorney, and get him to work some paperwork for us. I was thinking we should start a non-profit entity, dedicated to the advancement of fixed object jumping. "Keeping adrenaline addicts off the streets at night". Maybe get tymkoder to throw the gayness in there, so it seems more legit for a non-profit. Either way, get a tower corporation to donate it to out to our legitimate charity, and let them take the tax write off. Might be better for them than just walking away or selling it on ebay. If it is a liability issue, I'll sign all the papers the corporation wants, absolving them of responsibility. We'll build a shack at the bottom, and take turns keeping the lights on. Or, talk the fuzz into letting them put their transmitters on it, hang a couple rainbow flags up there, etc...

Find an old smokestack....it's better than a rusty old tower and it won't snag your canopy. Plus, no guywires to deal with. We've got a nice 1240' smokestack here on the East Coast.....I'm sure they could build them even higher and they are nice and warm inside, even in winter.

Regarding someone suing you, just have them sign a waiver.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

We've got a nice 1240' smokestack here on the East Coast

Wow. What's the possibility of a picture of that?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Here's the smokestack, with the inside ladder at the bottom. Wintertime climbs are a comfy 70 degrees F.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Thanks. Impressive. What's the facitity for (if it's not gonna name the site)? Wondering what such a high stach is needed for.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

a wench with a loooooooong cable and a couple pulleys...

I have seen several references to one BASE jumper in particular who uses pretty young things to pack for him, but to start using them to winch you up a tower????:P

that would also be sweet. Wonder what the chance of building an elevator into it?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

It's already got an elevator!!!
With a smokestack, you could build several elevators on opposite sides. You could probably build a small house inside the base of the smokestack - it's THAT big. It's been many years since I've jumped this object. Many of us got sick last time due to inhalation of unknown fumes/smoke.

We were looking for an object that met a _very_ specific criteria.

The mystery deepens.

If it was a 3500ft A with elevator to the top in 3mins, no guy wires, a running exit platform, 5 square kilometres of uninterupted soft green pasture at the foot of it and a coffee and donut shop on site, you're shit out of luck. I think it just got pulled down.;);)

there are 3500ft a's?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

>>The business case problem I see with any of this is suing.<<

What jury, in their right minds, would award anyone damages for injuries sustained, after that person purposely and willfully jumped from a tower with a parachute. (Not counting negligence on the tower owner's part).

Would they not think, in their wuffoe wisdom, he got what he deserved . . .

Nick :)BASE 194

What jury, in their right minds, would award anyone damages for injuries sustained, after that person purposely and willfully jumped from a tower with a parachute. (Not counting negligence on the tower owner's part).

Would they not think, in their wuffoe wisdom, he got what he deserved . . .

You'd think that, but a lot of juries are just backwards stupid. Like the guy who sued Precision when he blew up his reserve. Guess what, fuckass? You were skydiving! Shit happens. The jury obviously couldn't figure that out. Grrr...
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

It seems to me that the liability issue is no different than that in skydiving. Have all jumpers waivered. Besides that an injured BASE jumper would have a real hard time getting over the assumption of the risk/comparative negligence problem if they were to sue. You'd also probably want to locate the tower in a rural area, as rural juries are very tough to get personal injury awards out of (life's hard, deal with it).

Edited to add: Shareholders can definitely sue the corporation and directors/officers of the corporation can be held individually liable for the acts of the corporation.

All this liability talk just makes me want to take a nice long bubble bath.

Click

what kinda bubbles are we talking about?
Leroy

Cockbubbles. As much as this thread has deteriorated, I figure I may as well write "cockbubbles".

Click

a brand new corp wouldnt get a loan for $1M or any other substantial amount. A personal guarantee would be required from the owner(s) of the company.

This is a dream that everyone has. Some base-jumping philanthropist buys a tower or any other object and places a donation cup by the exit point. I did my FJC only a month and half ago and have dreamed of many variations of this.

Unfortunately the reality is that there is a huge liabilty when you've allowed the jumps to occur and no matter what anyone says, when it comes time to lay sack on the table, no one would be willing to take that risk. It just takes one dickhead to ruin things and there's always at least one, no matter what sport or community you are in.

-A
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

Have there ever been any BASE related lawsuits, related to injuries suffered on an illegal jump?

Maybe get tymkoder to throw the gayness in there, so it seems more legit for a non-profit. Either way, get a tower corporation to donate it to out to our legitimate charity, and let them take the tax write off. .

OK first you can only gay flame me on my post AM I OK.. I'm glad you KC guys are gay too.. LOL and its DONKS fault.

as far as towers. it may be a good idea to start writing letters to media corp's. many radio stations and tv stations are consolidating and building new A's. I live in nortwest Iowa. we have a few towers over 1000 that are no longer used.
I think they are owned by WAITT media group. Norm Waitt is the owner. I know they also own some media station in the Kansas City area.

tymkoder
CHICKEN MAN
BASE 954

a brand new corp wouldnt get a loan for $1M or any other substantial amount. A personal guarantee would be required from the owner(s) of the company.

-A

I think you can get around the personal guarantee by putting a substantial amount of money down, say 30-40%.

Damn.... I just missed an auction on Ebay for a 700+ft. freestander:o:o. That would be a real nice BASE site! If we only had the $450,000 asking price[:/] Anyone want to split it??

WE NEED TO TALK
Leroy