ibx

Ski Helmets for Skydiving

Hy,

I'm relativley new to the sport, and I'd like to start freefly this season.

I'm still looking for an appropriate helmet though.

I took a look at skihelmets which seem to be ok, and they cost less than a third of a hurricane or a bonehead, and they look really cool :P

Can I put a Dytter in one ?

Does anyone of have any expierence with skihelmets for skydiving or should I stick to "real" thing ?

thanks for your help !

nice dives
--john

Depending on the helmet and how handy you are, I'm sure you could figure out a way to mount an audible on/in it.

If you're looking for an inexpensive helmet that provides good protection and can easily be modified to accept an audible, don't forget about the "full cut" Protec. It ain't the prettiest, but it does the job a whole lot cheaper than the "skydiving specific" helmets on the market.

We have a couple of people using ski helmets. I assume at least one of them is using an audible since she freeflys. But, they do look like ski helmets no matter what your doing.;) The give away is the molded channel for the goggles strap. I agree with Lisa. I've been looking at helmets for two or three years but haven't found anything I liked and seemed worth the money. So when I want something I put on one of my Protecs. I also found another helmet at much like the Protec but stronger at the local kayak store. It might have been this one. http://www.outdoorplay.com/store/Product3.0.asp?SKU=EHE_CHFUL I think its a Cascade. Of course Pro Tec sells a ski helmet too.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

My wife and I both use helmets made by Boeri. They're ski/snowboarding helmets. I removed the goggle strap snap from the back of them to get rid of that snag hazard. There's room inside to put a dytter, although we haven't done so so far (just got my wife a used dytter yesterday.)

Depending on the helmet and how handy you are, I'm sure you could figure out a way to mount an audible on/in it.

If you're looking for an inexpensive helmet that provides good protection and can easily be modified to accept an audible, don't forget about the "full cut" Protec. It ain't the prettiest, but it does the job a whole lot cheaper than the "skydiving specific" helmets on the market.

not to mention the safest...
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I know a few people who use ski helmets for jumping and like them well. I bought one for jumping, but the same week found a really good deal on a full face helmet, so I now only use it for skiing. Don't forget to cover or cut off any snag points if you jump with it. Many ski helmets have goggle holders on the back. I also have a protec helmet which offers lots of protection. Some of the best jumpers I know still wear a protec. Mad John for one. They might not be as stylish, but they protect your noggin well, and are reasonably priced......Steve1

I was looking for an open face helmet for those hot summer days, but after dropping $$ for a Z1 I couldn’t justify spending another $160+ to sit in my bag ½ of the time. I went to a Ski/Snowboard shop in late Spring and got a wicked good deal ($20) on a store demo helmet. An already made pocket for my Dytter, lots of Styrofoam (sp), comfort padding, and basic white shell. I got rid of all the snag points, filled the air vents over the ears with hot glue, sanded everything smooth and painted it to match my FF suit. All for less than $30. Works for me, and probably as much protection as a ProTec.

I just bought a Boeri Axis Performance for skiing. I made a few jumps with it, both freefly and flat fly. It is probably the best model they make for skydiving, and for skiing if weather is cold. I was going to buy a different model, th Myto Switch, for better ski day ventillation adjustment, but the chin strap cut into my neck. The Axis chin strap is great. There are "audible pockets" on both sides, just pull back the liner, and shove it inside. You could easily remove the goggle strap snag potential by just drilling out the attach point. They are kind big, but they are pretty.

Heya John:

Look HERE for the hat that I fly and have for nearly 150 jumps.

The goggle clip on the back just unscrews and poses no snag hazard afterward. The graphics, a bit "Flesh Gordon"-ish can be removed if you are inclined. I have mounted a pro dytter (borrowed) for a night jump and it fits just fine.

This helmet has a full foam lining, much like a very light version of a motorcycle helmet. Remember, ANSI rated ski helmets are designed to be smacked into an icy slope at fairly high speeds at cold temperatures so a kick to the head or a botched landing should be well within their capability.

IMHO, it is a great hybrid between a fullface (always hot, but secure and quiet) and a protec (noisy, but cool-in-temperature). Don't let the "junior" size fool you - I tried on many "Adult" sized ski helmets and they all seem sized to accept a balaclava underneaath - you want a snug fitting helmet or it will just float around on you in freefall. On that same subject, just tightening the chinstrap on a too-big helmet will constrict your windpipe and prove uncomfortable.

If you do winter jumps, you will like this helmet as it is profiled to fit nicely with ski goggles. All those "cool" bugeye goggles (also ski spec)
work well with it too. I also wear mine for winter mountain biking but ya know I've NEVER worn a helmet on the ski slope :o ... not even this one

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

I had a Boeri dealership, but never put it into effect at Gravity Gear. A few factors:

Not low profile enough for our wind direction. Caused tugging under the chin. Could possible loose it in FF.

Pretty warm in the summer.

No general interest.

They do offer great head protection. I know several jumpers at Skydive Lake Tahoe that wear them. Not the best but if you got one, sport it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Ski helmets are great for skydiving. I have a Bieffe that I got for about a third of what a skydiving helmet would cost and it has much better protection. I use it year round with no problem and just stuck a piece of velcro inside near the ear hole and anther piece on my protrack to keep it in place.

Dave

I just got this on ebay for $45 including shipping. The chin guard is removable.Its Snell rated.I plan to mount a small bullet camera to it somehow.The reason I got it was the snell rating and when I use it with ski goggles I can mark the goggles for the sight as they tend to stay inplace with the helmet.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

I've seen one of those...A guy at my DZ actually made a camera mount for the side of the helmet. He loves it! But good luck finding one of those Pro-Tecs now....I've looked everywhere and no one is carrying them anymore.

I have used a Boeri since I started and have put a hundred and 20 jumps on it and noproblems. I have an old school dytter mounted to the outside, and a pro track on the inside. There was enough room in the ear padding to cut a whole and stuff it in. Hoalla, a dytter pocket!
...FUN FOR ALL!

Hy Guys,

you really helped me out here.

I think I'll get a ski helmet for starters, I took a sharp look at the

uvex x-ride, which is about 50EUR (Germany).

It has it's chin straps connected outside which reduces the snag hazard.

It also seems to have enough space for an audible.

I'll keep ya updated !

blues ones !

--john

The biggest problem with using ski helmets over traditional skydiving helmets is that Ski helmets are bulkier and not low profile. As in, a helmet made for freeflying is low profile leaving little edge exposed to the air. I say go for a ProTec until you can save enough for a helmet designed specifically for skydiving. ProTecs aren't low profile either, but they are a hell of a lot cheaper than a $100 ski helmet.
Good luck!
-Rap