does anyone here jump who at one point said they never would?

as a non BASE jumper and a newbie skydiver, i don't exactly have time as something to benchmark my thoughts against, but ever since i was young, i've always wanted to climb up tall things and jump off them, flying off and safely descending. I've always thought that it's too damn scary though, and i'm not really a big one for taking risks as it is, so i can honestly say i won't ever base.

What i was wondering was, is anyone jumping now who like me, always said they never would, but then changed their mind? If so, how comes you decided to? Just curious :)

After my first building jump, I said, "I'm NEVER doing that again"!!!! referring to that particular building.

After jumping it 2 more times I wish it was still accessible.

That doesn't Answer the question exactly but it's similar. A couple people I know, said they'd never BASE jump. A few hundred BASE jumps later.....
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I've sworn off of BASE jumping twice in the past after two particularly close calls... yet here I am, with a packed rig that I'm going to jump tomorrow.

I remember when I first started skydiving... I said I would never jump a canopy under 170 square feet, I would never do anything more than a 4 way, and I would definately never BASE jump because that is way too dangerous. Now jump forward to present day...I jump a canopy quite smaller than 170, I have participated in 60+ ways and I have over a handful of BASE jumps...I have learned over the years to never say never.
I guess the reason why my views have changed is what got me in the sport in the first place. I'm willing to try anything once and to live life without regrets. Also I have learned more about gear, what makes it safe and educated myself in whatever I don't know a lot about. I guess it is just a matter of getting more comfortable with the sport, which at the same time, makes it more dangerous.

blue ones
Chrissy

~La La Gang Member #2~

After my first building jump, I said, "I'm NEVER doing that again"!!!! referring to that particular building.

hmm i have the same thing going on here right now:ph34r::D

Mac let thouse trees fall and ill do it again(belive it or not jumping in a city and land in a tree:ph34r::D)

By the way i once said that BASE jumpers are freaks, i still think,well at least some of them:ph34r::D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

When I was younger, not too long ago like 15 and 16 (hehe), watching RealTV and seeing the jumpers go off cliffs and such, I said there's no way I'd ever be stupid enough to do that. I changed my mind after my first BASE. When dad asks the question, 'if your friend jumped off a bridge, would you?' The now proper response is "Hell ya!" ;)

I'm not a BASE jumper. I have about 100 skydives and said I'd never BASE jump. But now I know that is because I didn't know anything about it. It was the thing where you are scared of what you don't understand.
Now, I can't wait until my friends say I'm good enough to go BASE jumpin.
This is a little different then trying something, having a bad experience, and swearing off it.
Skydiving was the same way for me. It was scary, but then I saw how the gear really worked, and now it's just a part of my life - like driving to work.

~
Fear is the thief of dreams...

But now I know that is because I didn't know anything about it. It was the thing where you are scared of what you don't understand.

The more I understand about BASE, the more scared of it I am.

Personally, I'd say that if you aren't scared, you don't really understand the situation.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Personally, I'd say that if you aren't scared, you don't really understand the situation.

Good ... then my current fears are normal and healthy? I can't say that I am scared when I jump out of an airplane, but scary thoughts go through my noggin when I think about base. I am still going to try it. I have already talked to Jimmy and Marta and will attend their FJC once I have my packing down, but base is scary ... :o

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I asked Skreamer how do you know the difference between what real fear is,
and when you have a very bad feeling about something, as i'm pretty sure both feelings at first are going to be piped through as one.

I think his reply was "experience" (i could be wrong about that Will) so i guess everyone starts from the same level.

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

I think a lot of it comes down to awareness. You overcome sensory overload and become more aware by doing more jumps. By practicing risk analysis and management along with doing more jumps you become more aware. Eventually you should be aware enough to discern between fear and a bad feeling (figure out what is causing the bad feeling and react appropriately).

For newbie jumpers like me, gaining this awareness is the challenging part. I find myself relying a lot on the experienced guys for if/whys and if nots/why nots (and asking why a lot).

I can think of one example very recently where by example an experienced jumper showed me the wiser option (PCA rather than freefall because of wind direction). If you are only worried about overcoming the fear, perhaps your assessment of all the relevant conditions and aspects of the jump won't be so good. Jumping with experienced people is very important to me at this stage.

Sorry, bit off topic from the original question.

Will

I never said never...
But my Wife did!

2 years ago she changed her mind. She seems convinced that it is in her interest to be married to a happy man:)
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

I haven't started base yet, but when I started skydiving, I said I wouldn't and after I started talking to people who were hardcore base jumpers...I started thinking and decided that I would like to try it after all...Now, I am trying to figure out what I need to work on in skydiving, besides jump numbers to improve my canopy skills and get into base...B|
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

Now, I am trying to figure out what I need to work on in skydiving, besides jump numbers to improve my canopy skills and get into base...B|

Start with Accuracy jumps on a big canopy. Then add CRW and max track training dives.

Pure jump numbers are actually often a very bad indicator of preparedness for BASE.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

i probably said that for almost 20 years UNTIL bridge day 2000 after that it was all over . i have since then been back to bridge day 2 more times and to twin falls idaho about 6 or 7 times also 1 antenna jump at about 1800 ft what a rush base jumping has refired me up again what a hoot hope this answers your question .
till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates

At 150 skydives I wanted "to get into it ASAP" and it did not scare me.
At 250 skydives I wanted to get into it "at some point" - and the thought was starting to scare me.
At 350 skydives I did not really fancy doing it all as it scared the shit outta me.
At 500 skydives I deceided that I would take a FJC and determine whether it was for me - and i was scared shitless

how do you know the difference between what real fear is,
and when you have a very bad feeling about something, as i'm pretty sure both feelings at first are going to be piped through as one.

when your up there its real clear if your fear a jump of if you feel bad about it.. the once i feel bad i simply just walk away from..I need to live so i can jump again;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I'd say about 20 years ago I saw some BASE jumpers on TV, jumping antennas. I was amazed and swore I'd never even CLIMB an antenna, let alone jump off the damn thing!

When I started skydiving I said I'd never BASE jump. When I started BASE jumping I said I'd never jump the Doux. When I showed my ex the video of me doing the Doux, he reminded me that I had said I wouldn't jump it; it was too damn low! Then I climbed an antenna and jumped it. When I broke my leg I said I wouldn't jump with the hardware in my leg. I got a dozen jumps before the rod and screws came out.

I'm either in complete denial or I'm a total liar.

K#763

When I broke my leg I said I wouldn't jump with the hardware in my leg. I got a dozen jumps before the rod and screws came out.

hows your leg? i rember the mails we changed as we both were laying there:ph34r::D

i promised myself to NEVER make a solo again,after my hit,but guess what;) my first jump after that unplessant brake were a solo at the exact same object just 200ft below the exite i had before:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber