Kimblair13

"Pack Boy" or "Power Tool"

Greg from Tulsa is my Rigger and he makes a damn good version of it. I think he's the one that started mass selling them first.

I've been through 3 of them. They keep walking off.:D I just put new Cypres loop material on the one I have using the no-sew finger trap method to replace the worn out line. Definitely better on a closing loop then a pull-up cord.

Just don't wear it around your neck when you jump. If something snags it, your neck will fail before the metal or Cypres loop material does.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I've been through 3 of them. They keep walking off.:D I just put new Cypres loop material on the one I have using the no-sew finger trap method to replace the worn out line. Definitely better on a closing loop then a pull-up cord.

Just don't wear it around your neck when you jump. If something snags it, your neck will fail before the metal or Cypres loop material does.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Often thought it would make a great garrot the next time I share a flight with Al Queda. Just don't tell the TSA boys. They are paranoid enough already.
Hee! Hee!

They keep walking off.

Kept happening to me too. Really, I was just leaving them on the ground after packing and forgetting about them. I can only hope that some poor packers found them and are making good use of them :)
I have a short closing loop and it's really hard closing with just a pull-up cord. I started dreaming up ways to engrave my name on the side of the metal packing tool, but I think that would be kind of hard :S

After I lost the second one, I wouldn't let myself buy a new one until I broke the habit of putting pull-up cords on the ground. Whenever I remove a pullup cord, I don't let it touch the ground - it has to go back into a pocket. Every time I closed my very tight container after that, I would tell myself once I'm out of the habit, I'll buy a new packing tool.

After six months of that, I just bought two more packing tools. Haven't lost one yet. Sometimes I have to punish myself to get any results.

They keep walking off.

I use a red marker to color the cord on it, so it looks like MINE. I also drilled a hole in the flat end, so that even if it gets separated from the colored cord, it still has a distinguishing mark to show it is MINE.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Got access to a lathe? Got some cypress cord material? They're not hard to make, all you need is some 1/8" stainless steel rod. I bought 6' of it to get some power tools made for our packers, it cost $6 I think and it only takes about 20 minutes to make a handful of tools from that on a lathe.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The best way to do it is to find a friend with access to a lathe and then invest in a higher quality of steel than used for the commercial ones. I've bent more than a few on really tight pack jobs but had a friend make me one out of a tougher metal(don't know the type) and it has worked jsut fine.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

*bump* as I don't want to start another thread.

I don't trust my memory... Can someone give me dimensions for a powertool? I have the opportunity to get them made in bulk (and, more importantly, at no cost), so I'd hate to find out later the entire set is an inch short/long :> plus I'll send you one or ten for your trouble! :)

I used to store mine in my harness pocket in my Vector until my rigger told me he knew someone who got stabbed by a pen on a hard opening that the guy had stored in the pocket like that. The things you never think about. :S Now I just keep it in my gear bag, far away from body parts I want to keep!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

no-sew thread on DZ.com

here is the direct link to Jumpshack's instructions.

There is also at least one other useful link in the thread cited above. I have used it on the line I use with my Pack Boy, but you have to do it near the end of the portion that goes furthest into the line also, else it creeps during use. So there are three places you do it for a Pack Boy. (No funny lines please).

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History