QuickDraw

Twin Falls Fatality.

I was in this very same situation while out there when I tried my first gainer. I remember having a clock in my head and saying (after I stalled on my back) well you gotta pull now. I got open in time to make the beach landing area with no problem. Just goes to show the danger we all put ourselves in.

All of us at the DZ are very saddened by this horrific event.
The news accounts are correct for the most part. I have spoken to the wife of the jumper that jumped in after him and tried to help. The rig is being inspected and the investigation is underway. The canopy only started to come out as Jason was hitting the water, according to them. In all, shit happens!! There will never be an answer for why him and why now. But as you know, there is risk in everything we do.

Jason and I go way back. I remember jumping with this newbie when he first came to our little DZ. He became an excellent skydiver!! With his more than 2,000 jumps he had great skill in both the air and ground. I'm going to miss him. The whole thing is still so incredibly surreal to all of us. His fiance is coping the best she can, but I encourage all to pray for his family during this most difficult time.

The DZ will Never be the same especially for the crew at "Safety City". It's always heartbreaking to hear of a death of a fellow jumper, but the pain is insurmountable when it is one of your own. But in all, Jason died doing something he loved.

God bless us all and be safe.
Cindy
Que sera sera

I've been jumping only about a year now, but I've been down at the DZ Jason jumped at since I was about 11 years old. Jason was a very good friend of mine and was also one of the men that taught me to fly. Though it is terribly unfortunate and indeed a sad event, I think we should take comfort in one simple fact: He died doing what he loved. I agree, our DZ will never be the same without Jason, but his legacy will never be forgotten. The fun he's shared with so many jumpers will keep his memory forever. He had fun, and we had fun with him. God speed and blue skies, Jason. You will be with us every jump we make.

Si

condolences to family and friends............

please everyone be careful..............

:(

Jason has been a mentor to many of us at the drop zone. The guy was simply amazing. I got to really know Jason over the past 2 years and he helped me out tremendously in all aspects of the sport. He will be missed by us all at the dropzone. He passed on doing something that he loved and I hope we could all be so lucky. You will be with us on every jump we make and we will see you soon. May you fly with the angels forever.

Mat

I also have only know Jason for 2 seasons of skydiving, but I, along with countless others here will always have fond memories of an instructior, skydiver, and friend. I first met Jason in 2002, I stoped by the DZ to "watch", and he swooped in, as usual custom for Jason. I told him that was so friggin cool, and all he said was "lets go!". 2 weeks later I made my first skydive with Jason and Jeff. Jason was my AFF instructor who also cleared me to jump SOLO. I was putting on a jumpsuit one day and as usual I was taping up the booties, (cause I didn't get to use them yet!) and he said "use the booties!". My reply was that I didn't think I graduated to use them yet. He said "I didn't think we had a graduation ceremony for that!" I made my first bootie jump with Jason that day as well...Lots of firsts....BEER BEER BEER....but with all that in mind...
Look upward and see a clear blue sky
Jumping from cloud to cloud
Angles taking diving lessons
Jason, close by.
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

Does anyone know the brand of pilot chute that Jason was using?

Jason C was one of my best friends who was deeply respected and will be missed terribly. The world is now a sadder place.

Deepest condolences

Does anyone know the brand of pilot chute that Jason was using?

I've also been wondering about the make of pilot chute. I'm more interested to know if it was vented or not though.

Also, I've jumped from that span but I've never done a gainer. Is it possible that his body position when he pitched was a factor in causing the PC to not inflate? (Assuming it was not an over-delay).

- A

Tom...no disrespect...but you may want to doubt the reliability, experience and/or knowledge of your source.

I don't want to single you out...this goes for everyone else as well...but I thought better of you than passing RUMORS.

I may be wrong...but to the best of my knowledge...only 6 BASE jumpers actually watched it happen...myself being one of them...if there was another...they were not on the bridge...maybe there was one at the lookout?

All of the jumpers at the top when it happened are close friends, who traveled to Perrine with Jason...and are all in agreement that it was NOT a low pull.

If your source says otherwise...ask them where they were...and I know, without doubt...that myself and 5 others, had a much better view, not to mention, a chance to review the video before turning it over to the police.

Please be carefull of what you say...it may place your own reliability in question.

I can say with 100% certainty "it was NOT an over delay".......can you?

hI mIKE,

Over delay does not mean a low pull, just that the canopy was not extracted in time to inflate and permit a survivable landing. Tom has a great deal of knowledge on thiese things. Stalling out and then pitching late and having a pilot chute delay/hang up etc is cause of overdelay, not symptom. If it wasn't a gear related failure (I believe that somone on site has established this) then it was over delay, nothing more or less. If you think that something else was at play here, please post it.

Cya.

Tree

Dear Tree,

Your explanation of 'over-delay' is an adequate description of the event that took place. However, if you would read the two previous posts to which mike was replying it was stated that there was 'a loss of altitude awareness' and 'no malfunction'. Review of the video clearly shows that he threw on time so his altitude awareness was intact. The gear has been sent to be inspected by an unbiased third party, we should wait for their conclusion. That being said, I sincerely believe that there is nothing physically or structurally wrong with the gear, but something caused a velcro container to remain closed until too late.

Count your tools,
michael

Please forgive me. I was the one that mentioned a loss of altitude awarness. Judging from what has been said regarding the video perhaps that was not the case. I cant say for sure what may have caused the problem with out seing the video and due to the fact that I have no right to ask for it, I'll leave this thread to those who were there. The very experienced "observer" I mentioned was below the bridge. I'd like to not say his name at this time. Just figure it out.

Tom...no disrespect...but you may want to doubt the reliability, experience and/or knowledge of your source.

I thought "the folks I've talked to reported..." was a pretty good disclaimer.

I wasn't there. I was reporting what I'd heard from people in town, but not present at the accident. I can't say anything with 100% certainty about this accident. Heck, I can't say anything with 100% certainty about most things.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com