QuickDraw

Twin Falls Fatality.

Jason C was one of my best friends who was deeply respected and will be missed terribly. The world is now a sadder place.

------Have a good one!--------

DAMNIT! Come on people! What is with this shit lately??? :(

A Pennsylvania man died Thursday when his parachute failed to deploy as he BASE-jumped from the Perrine Bridge over the Snake River Canyon.
The man launched from the Twin Falls-area bridge, which is 486 feet above the river, and then tried a backflip. His parachute did not deploy and he hit the water at about 90 mph, Twin Falls County sheriff's Sgt. Don Neuman said.

The man, whose name has not yet been released, was in his 30s. He was with a group of seven from the same area.

BASE stands for building, antenna, span, earth. They are the stationary places jumpers leap from, giving them a very short descent.

Neuman said the reason the man's chute did not work has not been determined. Several things can occur.

BASE jumpers usually throw their pilot chute out sideways so it will deploy in mere seconds, Neuman said. Sometimes, the pilot is caught in a vortex of wind caused by the body and will not come out.

The "bridal" attaching the pilot chute to the main chute also may wrap around a limb.

It is the first BASE-jumping death at the Perrine Bridge this year, Neuman said. Utah jumper Brian Stout died last year when his parachute failed.

"It's a premiere location because it's legal," Neuman said.

Other jumpers were in a boat below the bridge and recovered the Pennsylvania man's body within about 15 seconds.

my condolance to family and freinds.

Zinger do you have any info why it didnt deploy?
were he stabel after his gainer?

peace out

Sad times it is...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Any info on experience of jumper? That bridge is an awesome training ground for beginners as well as experienced jumpers attempting new moves such as aerials.

The rapid progression of the sport has given new jumpers the unfortunate impression that aerials are neither difficult or an advanced manuever. They are both, and off a 486' object there is not much time should one find themselves in a particularly ugly situation. For the most part, dumping out of just about any situation (axis, rotation) with a big pitch will get you an open canopy. The real challenge is remaining altitude and time aware as to take some action soon enough to make a difference. Without full information its tough to say for sure what happend, but with only 4 seconds of working time the outcome speaks for itself.

For all new jumpers considering aerials: Please talk with someone who is experienced and knowledgeable before just going out there and winging it. There is no need to "pioneer" a discipline that has already been developed. Learning new tricks in base without the benefit of what has alreadly been learned is very costly in terms of injury and lives.

BSBD

Tree
BASE610 [:/]

Jason had over 2,000 skydives and I'm guessing around 100 BASE jumps, He was an instructor, rigger and very current, There is rumor of a pilot chute problem but no one knows forsure right now, The whole thing just sucks bad, Jason just bought a house last year with his soul mate Cher, They where to be married this coming spring.

There is no doubt that he will be missed forever.

He had been BASE jumping for about 4-5 years and had just a little over 100 BASE jumps. We made quite a few jumps together, he was my friend and i'm really going to miss him

michael

Ironically there is an article by Dwain here on Blinc in the knowledge base, i was reading this the day before he died.

There are other good articles there too.

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

Deepest condolences from the SOB's in the Carolinas. Prayers and vibes for all the family and friends.
Blair

Jason had over 2,000 skydives and I'm guessing around 100 BASE jumps, He was an instructor, rigger and very current, There is rumor of a pilot chute problem but no one knows forsure right now, The whole thing just sucks bad, Jason just bought a house last year with his soul mate Cher, They where to be married this coming spring.

There is no doubt that he will be missed forever.

Jason who? Can you please email me as I really want to know!
Mick Knutson
* BLiNC Magazine "Everything you ever wanted to know about Parachuting, but didn't know whom to ask."

my heart/thoughts go out to his family. I'm very sorry this had to happen. [:/]

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

My deepest condolences to Jason's family & friends.

:(

BSBD

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Damn, that sucks.

Peace to all,

Peter
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

Wow, that really sucks. Was it a new PC or had the system been used prior to this jump?

Tree

And a local view of the same event:

Twin Falls Times-News

BASE jumper dies in fall ... Witnesses say Pennsylvania man's parachute deployed too late
By Sandy Miller
Times-News writer
TWIN FALLS -- It was a warm, almost perfect Thursday afternoon when Ryan Unger and Chris Baird, both of Twin Falls, decided to stop along the Perrine Bridge and watch the BASE jumpers.

They saw a man jump from the bridge and start into a daring back flip.

Chances are he was dead as soon as he hit the water.

"He didn't pull his rotation fast enough, so his parachute didn't have time to open all the way," Baird said.

Baird and Unger both said the man's chute seemed to open just as he hit the Snake River.

A man in a boat tried to pull the jumper to safety. Another BASE jumper parachuted into the water to help him.

The accident occurred at about 4:30 p.m. Baird and Unger called 911 from a cell phone and then ran down to the river to see if they could help. The boat docked at Centennial Park, and Unger began cardiopulmonary resuscitation on the man.

Paramedics arrived and continued CPR, to no avail. The coroner arrived, and the man was pronounced dead at the scene, said Tom Carter, a corporal with the Twin Falls County Sheriff's Department.

Carter said he couldn't release the man's name until his family was notified. However, he did say the man was about 30 years old and from Pennsylvania.

"We think he was an experienced jumper," Carter said.

Carter said it appeared that the man's chute opened just as he hit the water.

"We don't know if it malfunctioned," Carter said.

BASE is an acronym for building, antenna, span and earth. The extreme sports enthusiasts jump with parachutes from tall structures, and the 486-foot drop from the Perrine Bridge is a favorite of jumpers from around the world.

This was the third fatality to result from BASE jumping in Twin Falls County. The last fatality was in June 2002, when 24-year-old BASE jumper Brian Stout of Gilbert, Ariz., fell to his death. Another jumper was killed in February 2000 while jumping from the Hansen Bridge.

In an unrelated incident, a BASE jumper on Wednesday also landed in the Snake River around 6:15 p.m. after experiencing what witnesses speculated were parachute problems.

Two eyewitnesses called The Times-News to report the incident, but they were equally interested in gleaning information from the newspaper.

The Rev. Dan Rieke, a pastor at Our Savior Lutheran Church in Twin Falls, said he watched three BASE jumpers go off the bridge together. Two of the jumpers' chutes opened, but the third jumper's never unfurled properly.

"'Bam,' we see this big splash and he's in the water," said Rieke, who caught the incident on video.

Rieke said he and two friends thought they could see the jumper moving his arms after he landed in the water. A boat quickly rescued the person.

Mark Winters, a second eyewitness, told The Times-News he thought the jumper might have been OK. Winters, who was visiting the area from Kansas City, Mo., said the jumper's chute came out just before he hit the water but didn't deploy properly.

"It seemed like after they picked him up the boat stayed there for a while," Winters said. "I think if there was something fairly serious they would have taken off right away."

Officials with Southern Idaho Regional Communications Center said they received no 911 calls Wednesday concerning a BASE jump gone awry. A spokesman for Magic Valley Regional Medical Center also could not confirm any knowledge of an injury related to that incident, nor could Carter, the Twin Falls County Sheriff's Department corporal.

A Chicago man who goes by the name Billy Bob was among a group of BASE jumpers at the Perrine Bridge Thursday afternoon. With a decade of skydiving under his belt, he decided to take up BASE jumping a week ago. He said BASE jumping is as safe as any other sport, but when someone dies it draws more attention. He said accidents are few and far between.

"It's pretty rare when you think of how many jumps there are," he said. "You have more of a chance of getting killed driving home from here."

However, some critics have raised concerns that Twin Falls and Jerome counties could be held liable for injuries and fatalities stemming from BASE jumping.

Times-News writer Sandy Miller can be reached at 735-3264 or by e-mail at [email protected]. Times-News Assistant City Editor Troy Foster contributed to this report.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

I was told it was his fourth jump that day, I can only assume on his own rig right now.

Come on people...let's try to be extra safe...

I, for one am pretty tired of all the death and carnage i've been seein' lately.:(

My best wishes go out to the family, as I know that this has got to be a tough time for them...

Godspeed...

-Vic
You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

This is terrible news indeed. Hopefully someone will be able to post a more complete incident report after all the proper notifications have been made.

A bad week for BASE... another brother has fallen...

The article posted by narci is more or less accurate. From an unnamed source, but worth trusting.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

Deepest condolences to friends and family, it is so hard to lose people and practice doesn't help.

Peace,

D-d0g
+~+~+~+~
But this, surely, was the glory that no spirits, canine or human, had ever clearly seen, the light that never was on land or sea, and yet is glimpsed by the quickened mind everywhere.

It's a terrible thing to receive an e-mail where the subject line is simply the name of someone you know.

I am very saddened by this.:(:(:(

My deepest heartfelt sympathies go out to his friends and family.

--Art

There is rumor of a pilot chute problem but no one knows forsure right now

I have talked to one very experienced "observer" who witnessed the jump. He said that in his opinion, it was not due to any gear problem but rather loss of altitude awareness and over delay.

I was and am completely stunned by hearing about this tonight. Jason was one of my AFF instructors this summer, my first year in the sport. He was simply a great instructor and skydiver and very skilled. I enjoyed jumping with him and I am grateful for the knowledge and fun he imparted into every jump. He was always willing to help this floundering newbie. I did not have the privaledge to know him very long, but I will miss him just the same.